Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Sad Ending to Sig SE First Flights

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Sad Ending to Sig SE First Flights

Old 03-28-2005, 11:36 PM
fred123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad Ending to Sig SE First Flights

After getting my CG straightned out, on my new kit built SE, went out this afternoon to try it out. The first three flights went great. Plane flew like a dream with almost no trim change. On the last takeoff, when the plane lifted off, it went straight up, turning to the right. Would not straighten out.. I was not able to regain control and it ended up going in straight down under full power. We had about 1" of rain the night before and the field was very soft. The plane stuck in the ground like an arrow. The engine buried itself about 8" in the mud. Very little damage to the wings, and nothing from the wing tube back. Should not be too hard to repair. Can't inagine what it would have looked like if the ground had been hard. No idea what went wrong. Checked out all the servos and the all worked ok. Oh well they say it happens to the best of us. I have a Sig Hog Bipe kit due in tomorrow. Guess that will need to wait for awhile..Well, that is my sad story ...Fred123[&:][&:]
Old 03-29-2005, 12:18 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Sad Ending to Sig SE First Flights

A friend of mine had the same exact thing happen to him. We searched and checked the receiver pack and servo's thoroughly but could not duplicate the problem. Another airplane and another receiver pack. Same thing happened once again. Hmmm. Something ain't right.... Shipped the transmitter in to service for a checkup and found one of the dual rates switches went bad and was causing the set to short out. Transmitter had always been well taken care of. Just a bad switch....

Check your transmitter out and load test the receiver battery pack.

Cheers,
Old 03-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Sorry to hear that Fred. Hopefully you find the reason why.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:28 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your crash. Sounds like it will fly again.

I had a baffling crash with my kitbuilt SIG 4* 40 with an OS .50SX at the end of last summer. Unfortunately, the ground was not soft. It's amazing how much of the plane remained intact.
I took off and flew the pattern once. I just came out of my turn going downwind at about 2/3 throttle and at about 70 feet when the plane did an abrupt nose down. The plane went in vertical under power before I could react. The fuse was nothing but small pieces from the cockpit forward and the wing snapped in half at the joint and the leading edge was broken near one of the wing tips. The muffler broke and the carb was dislodged. I found no problems with the receiver, battery, servos linkages or transmitter.
I rebuilt the front of the fuse and repaired the wing and replaced the muffler. The plane flies again with it's original radio gear. I have never been able to determine the cause of the crash.

I watched another guy loose a Yellow P-38 one day. It was it's first flight that day. The plane was beautiful in the air, doing large loops and a number of rolls and high speed and low speed passes. The guy was getting ready to land. He dropped flaps on the downwind. Starting his crosswind turn, he dropped the gears. When he turned for final, the plane started acting sporadic and the guy started calling back to the pits for anyone to turn off the channel he was flying. He fought for control a bit longer until the plane rolled onto its back and then went into an inverted dive into the ground. Turned out that it was not radio interference as he first thought, but turned out to be a bad receiver battery.

Scott
Old 03-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Razguel

I think it would be an excellent idea to send in the radio for a check out. It does not cost that much and JR and Futaba both do excellent check and cleanings. I have seen many people have problems similar to yours and never send in their radios. They crash several planes before finally gettin the radio checked out.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:24 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

I had a Futaba T6XA TXmitter go bad on me. It was intermittent and would occasionally stop transmitting for a few seconds at a time. After I lost 3 planes the exact same way you described I finally realized the cause. I bought a new Optic 6 from HiTec and problem solved.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:49 AM
fred123

Did you discover the problem with your transmitter by testing it yourself, or did you send it back to Futaba? Fred123[&:]
Old 03-30-2005, 10:41 AM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

My Airtronics tx was shutting off by itself this yr. I was out ground testing the plane and engine, when all the sudden I'd go to turn the throttle up and nothing would happen. Look at the tx and it was off. I'm glad it happened when the plane was on the ground. I sent it in to Airtronics. Cost $32. Better than 400-500, which is what you'd have in a plane.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:19 PM
fred123

After a weeks work, the Sig Something Extra was ready to fly again.. Check all controls in the shop and all was ok. At the field, started the motor and noted that all the servos were going crazy. With the motor off all was ok again. When the receiver was lightly tapped the servos would jump. Back at the shop I swapped Crystals and this did not fix the problem. I would like to think that that is the reason I crashed. The receiver was in foam and was not disloged or struck by anything in the crash.I will ship to Futaba and see what they think. .Fred123[&:]
Old 04-02-2005, 08:44 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

hey fred is this the futaba 6exa radio?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:02 AM
luc-RCU

maybe your quartz has been damaged in the crash...or before
Old 04-03-2005, 01:50 PM
fred123

Yes it is a 6eax.. Transmitter was ok with another plane. Swapped Crystals but did not fix problem.. I am sending the receiver to Futaba..Fred 123[&:]
Old 04-03-2005, 08:35 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE

fred, you know whats wierd. Tower hobbies discontinued the 6EAX and FUTABA came out with a new version of the 6Eax. hmmm kinda suspicious if you ask me?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:12 AM
fred123

Went to Futaba's web site and they still show the 6eax as a curent model. They have issued an updated manual. My latest towers cat. still shows the 6eax an available.. However, I have not yet checked online to see if still they offer it..Fred 123[&:]
Old 04-04-2005, 10:19 AM
fred123

Just checked Tower's web site, and you are correct.. They are replacing it with one they call the "Super" 6eax". I agree, it seems very unusual that they would replace it so soon. If you find out anything more, let me know..Fred 123[&:]
Old 04-08-2005, 11:49 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE

well now they have a Futaba 6EXAS 6-Channel Super Micro PCM/2 S3108 Servos and a Futaba 6EXAS 6-Channel Micro FM/3 S3108 Servos, recievers changed from before.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:08 AM
kwmtrubrit

What's the difference between a 6EAX 6ch, 6EXAS 6ch and a T6XAS 6ch. I have the T6XAS and found out that Futaba discontinued that one too.

Keith
Old 04-12-2005, 11:03 PM
fred123

Called Futaba today and they are replacing my receiver under warranty. I Not able to find out what the problem was with the old one. Maybe I can blame the crash on it now?? Fred123[&:]
Old 04-15-2005, 05:38 PM
fred123

Post Script.....Got the receiver from Futaba today and put it back in the SE... Went to the field and flew it three times.. No problems, in fact, it flew like a dream. I hope this is the end of story...Fred123[&:]