Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

main gear carnage on U Can Do

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

main gear carnage on U Can Do

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 09:31 PM
LuckyArmpit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default main gear carnage on U Can Do

The U Can Do didn't do on landing!!!! For those of you with the GP U Can Do arfs, you know the plane flies great. Anyways, got the chance to fly it this afternoon after work. The weather here just has been atrociious so far and its very rare that it was nice and not much wind. The field, pits and flight line was pretty squishy from all the rain and melted snow over the past couple of weeks.
Anyways, fueled it up and took off. Did my usual loops and inverted flight etc. Brought it in for landing. The plane is easier to land than a trainer!!! Soon as the mains hit, they snapped off and plane's nose hit the ground. Don't know if I hit a high spot on the ground as the runway hasn't been rolled yet. But, looks like another glue/repair job!!! I had to repair this before as I knocked off the mains while carting the plane up the basement steps. I think I'm gonna use Goop this time.

Dave...
Old 03-29-2005, 09:54 PM
ICE_MAN

Default RE: main gear carnage on U Can Do

Use epoxy and strengthen it with a little fiberglass cloth.. I had to do this with a friends UCD as his gear snpped out 5 timesinb one day!
Old 03-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Hi,
The gear really sucks, I have fixed mine several times. The last fix is by pinning and fiberglassing two layers of glass over the area. Re covered and you can't tell the diffrence. I have had to recover the inside panels on the wing bottoms twice, finally chucked the wheel covers as they caused the problem with the covering.
It seems like GP would do some improvements by this time, maybe they would sell more planes if they did.
1. Re-do landing gear.
2. re position fuel tank so centerline to engine is right.
3. Cover with another color and pattern, the Clown motif is about used up.
4. Bring building standards up to that of the Seagull Harriers

I really enjoy mine but know it could be better.........
Old 03-29-2005, 11:36 PM
smokingcrater

first, use nylon bolts on the landing gear, and keep plenty of bolts on hand! yeah, you will rip those off fairly easily, but it is easier then tearing out the bottom of the plane. I've repaired the bottom of mine about 4 or 5 times, the final time I carbon fibered the whole thing, if it rips out now I have more serious problems, like getting the engine out of the crater that is left...
Old 03-30-2005, 01:38 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

Sounds like a real fault...

The glassing should fix it though... I hope becuase I want one...

Matt
Old 03-30-2005, 06:50 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm all these reports on bad UCD undercarage design []. I have the 46 version and am considering doing some fiberglassing. Is this problem only on the 60 or does the 46 suffer from a weak design too?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Deadeye

I've got 100+ flights on mine, (with several touch and goes per flight) never broke the gear once. However, a felow club member breaks his everytime he flies the thing. He tends to land a bit harder than I do, but still. I guess I got lucky on mine. It seems to be plenty strong.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:59 AM
hookedonrc

Deadeye- I am like you on my UCD46. I have had problems with the attachment screws coming loose, as you can see in the picture, but I haven't had a problem with the gear breaking. Regarding the picture, I was lucky (I guess.) that there was a club member taking pictures of my plane in flight and he caught the gear hanging sideways.

BTW: This is one of my favorite planes to fly....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89131.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	251489  
Old 03-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: smokingcrater

first, use nylon bolts on the landing gear, and keep plenty of bolts on hand! yeah, you will rip those off fairly easily, but it is easier then tearing out the bottom of the plane. I've repaired the bottom of mine about 4 or 5 times, the final time I carbon fibered the whole thing, if it rips out now I have more serious problems, like getting the engine out of the crater that is left...
But then instead of glueing the gear back in you are repairing both sides of the wing where the wheel pants go through and tear up sheeting and ribs.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:43 PM
LuckyArmpit

Thanx for all the tips! My U Can Do is the 46 size. I think I may do the fiberglas option. I had it epoxied in before but it may have been not strong enough. I was also thinking of maybe using a sort of bracket on the bottom to help in the sturdieness. Theres not a whole lot of room inside the fuse area. Worse comes to worse, I could move the whole gear forward of where its supposed to be.
Of course, that will throw the CG forward. I already have weight underneath the fuel tank anyway. I could take some out if need be.

Dave...
Old 03-30-2005, 08:10 PM
smokingcrater

ORIGINAL: Robotech

But then instead of glueing the gear back in you are repairing both sides of the wing where the wheel pants go through and tear up sheeting and ribs.
call it luck, but I've maybe broken the bolts 15+ times, and only once did it nick the monokote, about halfway back on the bottom of the fuse surface there was a quarter size hole in the covering. try spot landings on a dare with a tail heavy ucando if you wonder how easy it is to remove the gear. Of course, I don't run wheel pants, those lasted all of one flight on the field I fly off of. (very rough ground, lots of nice potholes)
Old 04-03-2005, 10:38 AM
LuckyArmpit

I'm repairing this right now. I'm using thinned epoxy with fiberglas cloth. There is just not enough sturdieness where this mounting area is located. Also gonna use a bit larger dowel rods than what is on there. Also am going to apply the cloth on the outside towards
the front. Hopefully, this should be strong enough to survive future landings. Well, as long at the angle isn't real steep.

Dave...