Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Well Almost, Somedays you are the cat, somedays the mouse!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Well Almost, Somedays you are the cat, somedays the mouse!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 07:02 PM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well Almost, Somedays you are the cat, somedays the mouse!

Today I was the cat. Well, I woke up with an ear ache, I think I broke my right big toe yesterday, and my sinuses are a mess, but it was a beautiful day. 60* and a small headwind straight down the runway.
I flew my trainer for a little bit for reminisence. I fueled my Goldberg Matrix and tried to start the engine, a Saito 82 mounted inverted. I think I flooded the plug and it wouldn't stay running. When the prop was stopped after the fifth try or so, I reached over to remove the glow driver. I think I must have eased the prop back to compression ever so minor, but it was enough to kick-back and put two minute slices in my forearm. Pretty much just scratches, but it was being a rebel.

I got it started and flew for about 15 minutes, but it would not hold a knife edge well today at all. I figured oh well, landed then flew my trainer again. I tried to fly my Staudacher, but it was having a fit when I hooked up the ailerons and was fluttering all over the place. So drain the fuel, put it back in the truck. I flew the trainer once more, I am getting ready for my first night fly and need the familiarity with it. I was getting ready to fly the Matrix again when I noticed my TX battery was getting low, so I quit for the day.

I stopped by to talk with my buddy John at Top Gun Hobbies and showed him my Matrix, which he has not seen yet. When looking it over he noticed the rudder CA hinges. As you see in the pictures two of the three hinges had tore apart. I am so glad for deciding not to chance flying due to low voltage not even thinking about the rudder hinges. I don't know what caused it either.

Sorry for the long story.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20530.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	252494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61535.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	252495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80859.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	252496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd86804.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	252497  
Old 04-01-2005, 07:43 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Well Almost, Somedays you are the cat, somedays the mouse!

Its days like that someone is trying to tell you something. When the prop tried to bite me I would have taken the hint
Old 04-01-2005, 08:08 PM
RC-Captain

The way you store your planes may have cause the damage[ 8|] But thanks for following your instinct to pack it up , as I did many many times do to things just not going right.

The devil danced on your tonsils and you where lucky enough to taste him . You are not the only one who goes through such awful situations , you are just only, the one, man enough to admit it .....

I remember LOL primming my engine with the glow starter mounted on my engine, thank GOD it was completely dead. and yes I went home after realizing what could have happened.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:28 PM
runover1

What do you mean about the storing the planes part? They sit horizontally on a shelf system I made for them. I am curious.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56300.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	252530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35395.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	252531  
Old 04-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Razguel

Rudder could have come from transport damage, but to me it looks like cheep hinges. Good thing you did not press ypur luck it could have been a much worse day. All in all sounds like minor adjustments and youll be back in the air in no time. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:25 AM
RC-Captain

I'm not trying to say you are careless, but every once in a while when putting the plane away or getting it ready for transport a ding happens and damage goes undetected. Even in your pic it looks as if the rudder is turn just enough to fit on the rack .
Old 04-02-2005, 07:49 AM
runover1

The rudder of the UCD and the Matrix are turned a little, but not enough to cause damage. It either happenned in the air or during transport. I think the Goldberg hinges are too flimsy.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Flying Hog

That's Why I use Robart Hinge Points........[sm=punching.gif]