Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Folding wing

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Folding wing

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 07:05 PM
rdmonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folding wing

When I got home from work this morning it was dead calm so I got in two flights with my Frog. It's a homemade foamy and a sweet little flyer. As I'm still learning it has taken some tough shots the last few months but despite looking like a tape display it still fly's just fine. When I got up for work today it was a little windy but still O.K. to fly. I put her up got some altitude did a few loops just as I had done this morning and then started to cruise around. I was about 80 or so feet up over my back yard neighbors house when the wing just gave way and folded in half. It fell like a stone and landed on their roof. I went around the front of their house and it was hanging out of the front gutter. I got it out with a rake and saw the wing had just ripped almost in two.The crash also ripped off the JST connector on my TP lipo so I'll have to fix that.The plane is a total loss but since I have plans for the Frog I will build another one.After I fix the battery I'm going to put it in the E-flite ultimate I recently built and get some more time on that beutiful bird!! I've only flown it three times.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:28 PM
RC-Captain

Default RE: Folding wing

LOL I feel more sorry for your neighbors, I could only imagine what they where thinking when the plane hit the roof I'm not going to give you the 10th degree on flying ethics, I'll let someone else do that, but please try to be more careful in the future for the sake of all RC pilots.

As far as the wing folding been there done that with a Freedom flier. I figured after I hopped up the motor to a 400 from a 200 This was the cause for the wing folding in an aggressive up elevator maneuver.

Sorry and stick with it [sm=punching.gif] .

Good Luck.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:59 PM
rdmonster

I'm actually not concerned about any damage to my neighbors house. The frog is so lightweight that it couldn't make a dent in anything although I guess it could scratch a car. My neighbors also think it's a hoot when I fly and are generally watching as I cruise around. The Frog is truly a backyard flyer and thats where I fly it at. Now the Ultimate is a different story!! It's very light but is also pretty fast and has a much greater potential for crashing as it's a 3-d craft. About the only time I ever crashed the Frog was when I was doing something I shouldn't have which unfortunatly for it is quite often!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 02:03 AM
multicasting

Do you have a picture or a link of the frog. It sounds like a nice little plane to have for small flying areas.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:38 AM
rdmonster

The Frog is sold through Foam Fly and can be found on their website foamfly.com.It can be bought in a kit form or plans and is made from folding fan foam that is available at lowes or similar stores. The one I crashed was powered by a IPS A motor from GWS and it flew very nicely if a bit underpowered. I'm putting two together right now for me and a friend and am thinking of putting a more powerful engine in it. I'm not sure why the wing folded on me as it was still in really good shape. I had been doing a lot of loops with it and with that power system it took a long dive to get enough speed to do it. The last three times I flew it I did about ten loops total and each one took a strong dive before hand so maybe I just over stressed it.Either way it was a sad sight when that wing folded. The receiver was pretty junky already but at least I still can use the servos. Hope you get one as it's perfect for flying around the yard. Later!!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Balsa Master

i seriously sugest not flying anything with a spinning BLADE in the general area of people who have no idea wat a TX is... its just not safe for them. (and worse for you if you hit one of them... god i hope your AMA)