Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

I git hit by a plane today at the field !!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

I git hit by a plane today at the field !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 01:53 AM
TRF-StEvE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I git hit by a plane today at the field !!

Hey guys, love the forums, this is my fist post after a lot of lurking

I was at the feild today with my sportsman aviation decathlon (86") and there was another guy flying with me in the flight pit at the time. Any way i'm carving up the sky having a ball and i hear this plane coming in low and fast ( a boomerang 60 size trainer. ) - strange i thaught - there was no landing or low pass call. so i look at this other plane coming in and i see the other guy who is in control of this plane jump outta the way and it's like 4 foot away coming straight at me 3 foot of the ground !! so all i could do was move enough to stay outta the prop which was still going full song mind you, turn my back on the plane and wore the wing to the back of my hip. end result the wing tore straight in half and left me with a big ass bruise on my hip. i had no time after that to reel in pain or whatever as my plain was still up in the air ! and the pilots response " sorry mate "

Old 04-10-2005, 02:06 AM
aaron2874

Default RE: I git hit by a plane today at the field !!

Sounds like you gave better than you got. Good job! Glad you're not seriously injured. The prop on that plane could have made things much worse.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:09 AM
multicasting

My Gosh! You are fortunate to have escaped serious injury. I would have had to compose myself to keep from stomping on his aircraft as it lay in front of me. What was he trying to do? Is your runway close to the pilot's station? I once heard of a guy stoping a .60 size aircraft in the air with his hands as it was flying into the pitts. He caught it, but it nearly broke both hands.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:28 AM
TRF-StEvE

Hey guys,

our flight fields pit is about 30 foot from the runway 3/4 down.

i should also mention after that, the guy took up another trainer and put it into an unrecoverable spin that wrote the plane off.

allways something exciting eh ?
Old 04-10-2005, 04:43 AM
rdmonster

I've nearly hit myself a few times in my yard but thats about it. I must confess that I scared the wife pretty bad a few times too but my plane weighs like a pound or less and is made of foam.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:01 AM
TRF-StEvE

yeah mate foamies are different, we run into each other all the time with our wings on the slope. tis a very brave pilot who goes down the slope to retrieve there stricken plane while others are circling above !
Old 04-10-2005, 08:23 AM
RC-Captain

The action of flying the plane toward yourself and not realizing how fast it is coming towards you has to be more common than everyone wants to admit.

I , one day , after having a excellent flight, had to duck to avoid my trainer from plowing into me. Although the 3 point turn landing is standard I no longer use it because it just complicates the landing . It has to be a very calm day for me to do a three point landing.

Good Luck
Old 04-10-2005, 10:12 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This kind of incident is common. That's why it is recommended to have a safety fence of about 1 meter at the pilot's stations and a higher one for the spectators/boxes area in r/c clubs... a good
thing that you did was paying some attention in the surroundings while you where flying!

Rgds, Enrique
Old 04-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Brave man.
My hat is off to you.
I think my transmitter would have been handed off so some one else so I could have discussed the situation with the other pilot one on one. To me there is not excuse to fly into the pit area or flight stations. If you can't control your plane any better than that, then get someone else to land it. I have seen people routinely fly into the pit/station area or come in for landings and land between the flight stations. To me this is a practice that I confront when I am flying or will be flying.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:51 AM
Balsa Master

omg... seriously... you should really try to get him kicked outa the club before he kills some one.... im a terible piolt and i would still NEVER fly a plane into a populated area! thats just stupid.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:35 AM
StallN

I botched a landing on Saturday and just let it drop into the (dry) ditch. It is a SPAD so no damage. Stalled it at about 5 feet up, throttled up, plane went inverted. I just chopped throttle and let it fall. Not even a broken prop. No body around but just good practice for when there is. Just my .02....

Later

S
Old 04-12-2005, 11:04 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Just a "sorry mate"? Did he apologize profusely or comment about not pulling back the throttle? I think stomping on the rest of the plane might be appropriate if all you got was "sorry mate".
Old 04-12-2005, 04:27 PM
rw Guinn

ORIGINAL: Balsa Master

omg... seriously... you should really try to get him kicked outa the club before he kills some one.... im a terible piolt and i would still NEVER fly a plane into a populated area! thats just stupid.
That's the only solution you could come up wit?

We have sunk to a sorry state, indeed...
Old 04-12-2005, 05:41 PM
necorc

Gives a whole new meaning to "I've got a plane to catch"

Glad you are well without serious injury...
Old 04-12-2005, 10:51 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

It sounds like you have good Situational Awareness. IT amazes me how many people have nearly no SA at all. Makes you wonder how they lived so long.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:25 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

At the very least, I would have a talk with the guy to establish what he thought had happened, so he might not do it again. Then I would inform him once again of just how dangerous that situation could be, and how lucky you were. He wouldn't get off with that "sorry mate" crap where I fly. Safety IS everybodys responsibility. If this guy needs to be back on the buddy box then someone should step up and say so.

Jim C
Old 04-13-2005, 04:19 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

i can tell you from experience you got lucky in not getting the prop end. i had an accident a few years ago now where, not knowing how powerful a 45 size engine was, poorly mounted an engine to a mount and had the thing come up off it hitting me in the face. almost cutting the tip of my nose off. a very serious injury and now i am overly paranoid in mounting engines. i have also heard of guys having a prop shear off and hitting them in a body part. people nicking thier fingers. just count your blessings that you are still alive from an encounter like that
Old 04-21-2005, 12:12 PM
R/C Deals

You power guys never learn.."sigh"
Old 04-21-2005, 12:53 PM
carlosponti

what and have a li-poly battery catch fire
Old 04-22-2005, 12:01 AM
rlipsett

You are very lucky the wing snapped and didn't cause the plane to vere into you more like a horshoe getting caught on a ringer. An incident like that should be brought up before the officers of the club, that is an unacceptable occurrence
Old 04-22-2005, 12:24 AM
txaggie08

and people call paintball dangerous?? man im startin to wonder wich of my hobbys has the potential to be more dangerous.......................

i cant beleive it didnt do more damage than that. the planes ive seen fly(im still new....no real experience yet)are moving pretty dang fast.....
Old 04-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Uncas

Sorry for your accident!

Someone needs to coach this other pilot. When I started flying, a friend of mine gave me some good advice; ditch the plane rather than hit someone or something. I believe that thought has to be planted in your mind before you fly, then the decision is easy to make when the time comes.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:32 PM
R/C Deals

Looks like you guys need to go back to gliders since everyone knows there for beginners..ha ha oops i forgot you couldnt handle that either to much stalling I ve seen how you guys fly,,,well and gliders are boring? i was told that today.. my glider does an inverted snap roll off a bungee launch if thats boring then that means your planes are boring too.. you power guys mainly have 1 years experience 15 times.. and put down my gliders at the feild cause you cant handle one,, id like too see any of you roll 3 times dead stick..
Old 04-25-2005, 04:22 AM
superflea

so is the glider dude just trolling or what?? i mean whats the point, ah well i'll bite yes gliders are very boring but spad gliders are boring and ugly

how do you do an inverted snap roll off a bungee dont you have to be inverted? if so how are you inverted on the bungee?? do you mean an inside snap or perhaps an outside snap?? do you think power planes cant snap roll?? bottom line is that a glider cant do anything a power plane cant. a power plane can tail touch and hover, can have unlimited vertical snapping all the way out of sight. now dont get me wrong here im not saying one is better than the other, they are different thats all. you would do well to learn that yourself. if you like the gracefull lines and flight of a glider then good for you but don't get confused in to thinking that one is more exciting than the other. and please stop trolling. go to the glider forum and say how much better of a "pilot" you are.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:13 PM
R/C Deals

i deserve some trolling ive had to put up with harrasment for over 3 years now since i joined a " club" and i just assumed there are people around here that come up with the same statements its mainly from some guy with a giant extra who puts the stick in the corners and brags about ingenious tricks..... and if aerobatic gliders are boring please explain the reasons why in detail?

I roll inverted just after release...(bungee launch is a nose hook launch only a 10 degree climb and fast) after release its rolling inverted then i snap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.