Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Broke my new Aerobat yesterday.

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Broke my new Aerobat yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 07:38 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broke my new Aerobat yesterday.

I went flying yesterday morning, hoping that the wind would be reaonable. Well, at first it was so I fueled up and put it in the air. It was pretty bumpy up there but I managed to burn almost a full tank. Then I tried to land it. The wind had shifted to a pretty stiff cross wind that was a direct cross wind. That made things tough. I did an approach managed to get it into the wind and on final landing crossways on the field with a little crab action. Well, all of a sudden the wind died when I was about 5 feet over the runway and it just nosed over and smacked in.

I was (still am) pretty impressed with the way Midwest designed this thing. The only thing that I lost was the prop, and the nylon main gear bolts sheared off. That was all the damage. I had it fixed right there on the field in about 10 minutes, but decided that I didn't want a repeat performance so I defueled and cleaned it up and went home so I can fly it another day.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:38 AM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Broke my new Aerobat yesterday.

You just aren't having any luck with the wind dicksoucy I flew yesterday although the cross wind was rough I just ROGed when the wind died down and landed when it was reasonable. I can't wait to get my low winged Modeltech extra 300. Although small it should cut through the wind like a knife.

Glad to here there wasn't much damage and more importantly you followed your instincts and packed it up .
Old 04-11-2005, 05:13 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Broke my new Aerobat yesterday.

Hi.. thanks for the comments. Yeah, but the better instinct would have been not to fly at all on Saturday. I have been caught with that stupid cross wind at our field a couple times and should have learned by now[sm=bananahead.gif]. What can I say[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]. Some of us are just a tad more dense than others, I guess. I should have gone out on Sunday, the wind was absolutely calm most of the day but I had some prior obligations that stood in the way, and believe me, if I had the option I would have been at the field flying.

Dick.