Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

WHY ALL THE STUPID MUSIC??!?!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

WHY ALL THE STUPID MUSIC??!?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 07:56 PM
chsmadden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WHY ALL THE STUPID MUSIC??!?!!!

ORIGINAL: BigSkyRCFlyer

I like both, I like the sound of the engine, but also like music to a video. Different strokes, right?
Would that be two, or four strokes?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:31 PM
multicasting

Good Heavens; This thread died over two years ago in late 2005!

This forum has changed it focus since then. This used to be crash videos and photos. But I guess someone thought that was inappropriate (kind of like the music) and decided to make it a crash and rebuild. That pretty much killed the activity of this forum. There used to be tons of posts of pictures and videos.

Bob
Old 02-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed this thread was from '05 but it's kind of funny bec ause I recently received some constructive criticism about a video I made. Some did and some did not like the music. All seemed to like the flying but about 50% would have rather heard the plane and my comentary with my camera man. I guess I just fear my flying would be to boring to sit through without a little music to go along with it If you care to see the thread or video it can be found [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6995471/tm.htm]HERE[/link]
Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Yaniel

i dont like videos without music, i get bored of them quicker. but i hate when they completely remove the sound of the plane.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:21 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm, this is an interesting thread... in it's own way. each of us has our own preferences. That's not a bad thing... I've always kinda thought about hearing the engines and commentary rather than the music... but, of course, others like the tunes.

As an experiment, I wonder what it would be like if someone could post the same video twice, once with the original commentary (all G-rated, please ) and one with the music, then have people vote!

That might have some interesting data. I'm just curious..

Bob
Old 02-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Tommygun

I've always hated the music as well. On youtube, people ruin not only model airplane movies, but also would-be full scale car and powerboat movies where you really want to hear the engine instead. And most people seem to agree. I saw one of a big block camaro or something where the guy dubbed over the sound with some loud rock. One of the commenters posted: "Yet another good car movie ruined by chitty music..." Pretty much sums it up.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:32 PM
saltracer

Put me on the grouchy side of the list. I always prefer the videos without the music so I can hear the plane or the chatter. I like music but my radio in the shop takes care of that.
I will watch them either way.
Howard
Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 PM
okrcpilot

well time for my 2c whats the purpose of the music perhaps the author thought it would bring back his acft if he couldn't hear the crash??? or maybe a good way to drown his sorrows in losing his baby...or maybe he is just sic-hing himself/herself up to go out and get another acft either way its his video get up on the other side of bed tomorrow and listen again... try to imagine the roar of the engine...followed by the deafening crasssh sound now doesn't that sound fantastic. ahhh such a lovely sound.....
Old 03-04-2008, 04:20 PM
WILL FELLENZ

Hi

I think the most ( and maybe only) nessesary time to have music is in some-thing like a -d demonstartion, I mean, can you see all of our great -d buddy's not having some type of music in there demo?

Peace[8D]
Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 AM
MetallicaJunkie

I'd rather hear the airplanes motor/engine, that most of the music people use
Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 PM
srk866

Anyone that puts music in a video is nothing short of stupid
Old 03-12-2008, 11:07 PM
multicasting

ORIGINAL: srk866

I completely disagree. I have made many videos with mood music since the far off drone of the motor gets old, and so do the comments from the peanut gallery. If you are making a 15 second video then music isn't needed. But if you make a video of several minutes or more, then something should be used to fill in the pauses. That is videography 101. That is not to say that the dialogue should be completely covered. Someone using any decent software can fade between the sound sources. Some people may prefer less, or no music in their videos, but anyone with any experience in the field will tell you that your statement above is absurd.

Bob
Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM
DustOffUH1

Its really up to the person making the video. If it has music and you don't like it, turn the sound down. If it doesn't have music and you like videos with music, pop in a cd in your pc.
All in all, like I said its up to the person creating it,, along with how creative they feel. Some music that goes along with those videos are good, some music I can't stand. If its the latter, I just turn the sound down. I like them with music, I also like the videos without music. I guess I'm just easy to please
Old 03-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: multicasting

ORIGINAL: srk866

I completely disagree. I have made many videos with mood music since the far off drone of the motor gets old, and so do the comments from the peanut gallery. If you are making a 15 second video then music isn't needed. But if you make a video of several minutes or more, then something should be used to fill in the pauses. That is videography 101. That is not to say that the dialogue should be completely covered. Someone using any decent software can fade between the sound sources. Some people may prefer less, or no music in their videos, but anyone with any experience in the field will tell you that your statement above is absurd.

Bob
Mmm... "Mood music" is not what I'd call the music in question.

I'm one of those who reaches for the Mute icon as soon as I hear inappropriate music. Which is, I think, the topic of this thread. People who think a void must always be filled with noise are usually those who enjoy the sound of their own voice (or music.)

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 03-14-2008, 09:19 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

I prefer the voices and sounds of the flying field to any of that loud music. Simple as that. The commentary is often funny.. you know what I mean..
Old 03-16-2008, 12:48 AM
multicasting

ORIGINAL: Scar

Mmm... "Mood music" is not what I'd call the music in question.

I'm one of those who reaches for the Mute icon as soon as I hear inappropriate music. Which is, I think, the topic of this thread. People who think a void must always be filled with noise are usually those who enjoy the sound of their own voice (or music.)

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
When I create a video, I taylor the sound to the targeted audience. For instance, I chose AC/DC Back In Black for a video I made for some Pro Bros where the competing aircraft had a black scheme. Another video was done to Magic Carpet Ride for some 50 something guys who liked classic rock and flying classic pattern. Lighter piano music provided the background for a video of electric arcraft that floated elegantly around a gym.

I think it is important to preserve the native sound as well as add a sound track. What I took issue with was the blanket statement that said anyone adding music was stupid. I assure you that if the majority of the population preferred a movie devoid of an added sound track, then movies today would leave them out. Very few movies have been successful without added sound. Only one has won any major awards, and that was Hitchcock's "The Rear Window" in wich all of the sound was diegetic.

As for the topic of the thread, the original poster from almost THREE YEARS AGO didn't like any music in his videos, appropriate or not. That was back when this forum was specifically for pictures and videos regarding crashes.

Bob
Old 03-27-2008, 08:59 PM
kid chuckles

I am with you I don't like the loud hollering non understandable stuff with any video but the right music can make a good video a great one. The man above has the right idea to put a theme with what is going on in the Vid. A short video should not bother with music, but a good video fades in and out with the music as so you don't notice. That makes good vid music. Wether it be Country. (what they call country now), or good rock to as said soft piano.
Makes a good post when it makes a comeback lol.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 PM
N1EDM

I had a thought.... Why not record in stereo! Put the music on one channel, and the voices/engine on the other. Then, the viewer can just use the virtual slider on his PC audio control to select which one he wants!! And, it's no extra work for the guy doing up the video, because he already has the 'field' sounds. And, he's going to add the audio anyway....

Bob
Old 03-30-2008, 12:09 AM
multicasting

That's called split track, and is a pain in the butt to do without the right equipment. We use split channel with children's vidoes so that the kids can either sing along with the artists, or just the music. Works great on most live sound systems which aren't in stereo. You just fade the balance. But if you tried to listen to it with headphones, it would sound really awkward as all the music comes in your left ear and the lyrics comes in your right ear.

I doubt I would ever do an RC video to split track, but that is an interesting idea.

Bob
Old 03-30-2008, 12:20 AM
mtwister

I was in the process of making this video, when I read the post. I agree to the extent of music being annoying, but I think if it's light it adds to the character. Tell your guys' opinions please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTDou8p9wkw
Old 03-30-2008, 12:22 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

As mentioned,many just dont have the program or skill to fade the volume of added music.Instead they just plunk in any track at 100% volume and overide everything.I cant stand those either.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:28 AM
emailbanter

When making a video, "if" I use music, I try to select music that I "think" everyone will enjoy and definitely set the sound level so that you hear the motor and what's going on at a greater level than the sound of the music itself. It's hard to please all and like so many on this thread have pointed out, just turn the audio down if you don't like what you hear or don't watch it at all. Funny thing I've noticed over the years is that most of the complainers are the ones on YouTube who have never posted videos themselves. I have over 70 videos on [link=http://www.youtube.com/user/7452]YouTube[/link]:

There are plenty of armchair complainers out there and for the most part, I ignore them unless they post foul language, then their posts get deleted. Then again, there are plenty of armchair flyers on RCUniverse who I personally know have minimal flying skills but come off as experts on their posts to others.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 AM
N1EDM

emailbanter,

I think you might have put your finger on part of the issue here... the volume... I enjoy watching the vids but don't have the wherewithall to film or make my own. But I do like them. However, some guys really crank up the audio that is distracting to some... they want to focus on the airplane - the music is supposed to be an added touch.

Folks tune in to see an airplane video with music in the background, and some of them are vice-versa. I still like the videos, but I have to shut off the volume on some.

There are some really great vids out there, thanks for the consideration in mixing the volume levels... That nice extra 'touch' is always appreciated.

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 03-30-2008, 07:08 PM
multicasting

I thought the video was very nicely done. What were the two songs you used? I would like to add them to my collection. I think I recognize the first one as being used in the movie, Risky Business.

You did a good job of associating the audio to the video, especially on the revelation of the new graphic scheme of the aircraft. The engine buffs should be happy as you could hear the subtleties of the throttle, especially during the hovering scenes.

Thanks!

Bob
Old 03-31-2008, 12:28 AM
enephel
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: mtwister

I was in the process of making this video, when I read the post. I agree to the extent of music being annoying, but I think if it's light it adds to the character. Tell your guys' opinions please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTDou8p9wkw
That's perfect. Well done video. Well done re-cover. Well done flying.

Sorry. I know this is off topic but what engine was that? That airplane has riciculous power!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.