Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

One eyed pilot's are dangerous!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

One eyed pilot's are dangerous!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 11:46 PM
_Wyvern_
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One eyed pilot's are dangerous!

When selecting pilots for your scratch-built planes use a little more caution than I did! Mike Wazowski, from Monster's Inc., came well recommended from my daughter as a pilot for my cap. I should have known he would have had depth perception issues! His maiden flight went perfectly; beautiful loops, rolls, snaps, and even a hammerhead or two! Second flight... see the pics! Oh well... Balsa is cheap and mike is being retired!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74915.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	278507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38679.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	278508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29718.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	278509  
Old 05-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Iturnright

Default RE: One eyed pilot's are dangerous!

Hey, what do you know just like Barbie!

Sorry about the crash, hope you can rebuild it... you have the technology, better then it was before...
Old 05-31-2005, 04:44 AM
b0bro

What happend?, hit a tree or something?

Soz for the loss,
Old 05-31-2005, 06:19 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Sorry for the loss.[] What happened?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:29 AM
kennyandannie
My Feedback: (2)

See if Mike has any extra time on his hands, I have a 30% Ultimate that I'd like him to maiden for me.

Sorry for your loss, it's not the cost of the balsa, it's the time.

Even with one eye, I bet Mike still remembers how to repair

Ken
Old 05-31-2005, 08:39 AM
_Wyvern_

I never checked the high rate setting on the initial flight because low rates were perfect. I must have bumped the rate swithch between flights because high on the elevator was WAY too much for the plane. I lost control of the plane after my initial turn into the pattern and thought I got hit by the infamous radio interferance. My first thought should have been to look at the rates! DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!!! I realized too late, 30 feet up and snapping straight down, what had happened and could not correct.

And yes, I hit a few trees/bushes on the way down
Old 05-31-2005, 08:43 AM
kennyandannie
My Feedback: (2)

We've all had the forgetful moments, with me it was one of my Edge's. The excitement of a new plane does it quite often.

Again, sorry for your loss. Are you going to rebuild or go new?

Good luck,

Ken
Old 05-31-2005, 09:38 AM
_Wyvern_

The wing survived with only cosmetic damage, benefit of scratch building! I am going to build another fuselage once I get done with the Sopwith and Stick-It that are on the building board at the moment. It flew well and deserves another chance!

Thanks for the comments!

Adam
Old 05-31-2005, 04:13 PM
hunt4679
My Feedback: (8)

THOSE DANG STUFFED ANIMALS
what were you thinking your pilot should of had at least two eyes or maybe even three!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Skynyrd Man

Make sure you turn the stabilizer around when you rebuild
Old 05-31-2005, 05:53 PM
E-Mo
My Feedback: (12)

my litle guy can see just fine

Name:	Sq46728.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	278790  
Old 05-31-2005, 06:26 PM
_Wyvern_

WOW! Maybe I shouldn't have taken all of Mike's stuffing out then! I might have pulled out the part of his brain that controls motor skills

That is a great pilot!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:37 PM
pywackit

Mike, don't let these guys get you down! I can totally understand what it's like having one eye, I was born that way and there is no way in hell I'm not going to fly. Even if it means flying thru lines that you swore weren't that close or the trees you just missed or flew thru by shear luck, the roofs you just missed and ened up hitting the ground instead! At least I didn't have to climb on the roof to get my plane that time...LOL! Or the time I just missed my own Jeep....that would have been tricky telling the insurance company just what happened.

I've wanted to fly RC planes since I was kid and even if I'm on my 3rd Alpha 40 I'm still having fun, I don't mind repairing them but as we all know you can only repair these so many times then it's history.
So guys give the one eyed pilots help and understanding, besides you should see your faces when you have to hit the dirt so the top of your mellons don't get scalped! I'll be the first to agree...yes I'm dangerous, very dangerous! LOL!

P.S. I don't mind Cyclops jokes or any one eyed jokes or being called Hawkeye, Eagle eye or whatever. I think it's all funny and I love that one eyed pilot!

You don't even want to know how we drive or play sports either! You think us flying is scary....ROFL!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:05 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

where did you get the cap?? me likeee.....
Old 06-22-2006, 06:34 PM
srm99

dont worry i have a theory dont put cartoon charactors in plane i did and i lost all off them 2 i wont put any in now its bad luck as shrek and bugsy cant fly to well .
Old 06-23-2006, 08:47 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

The only plane I did put a pokemon was lost (it was my aircore colt) in a Swamp and never recovered... I guess it went into pokemon land. On the otherhand my trusty barbie pilot always manages to get back to the landing strip..however it tends to either overshoot the runway or land hard
Old 06-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I had bought a nice Goldberg Super Chipmunk with a Ken Doll as the pilot. That cocky b@stard tore the wing off in level flight, ejecting the Rx with the throttle stuck full open, causing the fuselage to become airborn-earth-drilling-equipment and lawn dart at mach 1 into terra firma. How on earth do you tear the wing off a low wing airplane right side up without negative "G's" after 12 minutes of negative snaps, Lomcevaks, and inverted spins!!?? Ken, step in my office...you're FIRED!

(note: the builder used CA for the wing mounts unbeknown to me)
Old 06-24-2006, 12:06 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

This reminds me of a funny story concerning Wiley Post. For those too young to know whom Wiley Post was, he was one of the great aviators and experimenters in aviation. Wiley was famous for his flights in the Winnie Mae, a famous Lockheed Vega. Wiley also did a lot of high altitude flying and managed to get into the jet stream on his cross country flights and set amazing speed records because of the jetstream.( over 330mph)

Well, there is this story of Wiley being forced down in a farmers field in Kansas. Wiley was wearing a deep sea diving suit, the kind with the huge brass helmet. That is what he typically wore on those high altitude flights.
(Wiley had one eye, by the way ). So anyway, Wiley looks around and dosen't see anyone. So he walks out of the field to a road, still wearing his diving suite, which he cannot remove without tools. He walks down the road until he reaches a gas station. He sees two legs sticking out from under a truck. Great, just what I need , a mechanic to get this helmet off. He walks over and kicks the mechanics foot. The mechanic rolls out from under the truck to see a man wearing a deep diving suite in the middle of Kansas !!! ( with no car and no visible means of transportation, the man thinks Wiley is a spaceman and completely freaks and runs away !!! )

Wiley Post died sometime later flying the famous humorist, Will Rogers to Alaska.

To this day, the FAA refers to the medical exception allowing a pilot to fly with one eye as the Wiley Post exception.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:21 AM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a simular experiecne this past weekend. If anyone remembers Rocky and Bullwinkle show, The FEARLESS Leader was the pilot in my NEW AeroTech YAK54. Had to be that darn monicle he has over one eye. But gotta say he at least flaired at last min and pancaked the plane.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:17 AM
8D3
My Feedback: (3)

Ol' Mike seems proud of himself in the center pic.Those Oompa Loompas from the chocolate factory cant fly either.My buddy let one try his Skyshark Edge out and he stalled/snapped too low and put it in.He too still had a smile on his face,my buddy fired him too.
BTW,sorry for the plane,I recently lost an Extra due to not reading up on my radio.It had no pilot inside to lay blame on.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:19 PM
CrashPro
My Feedback: (1)

Mickey has over a hundred flights since he lost an eye over a year ago.

Name:	Xv65373.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	482073  
Old 06-25-2006, 05:26 AM
camdyson

Geeze, surely Mickey deserves a prosthetic ("glass" - plastic??) eye if he's served you so well.