Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Sign me up for The Stupid Club

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Sign me up for The Stupid Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 11:01 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sign me up for The Stupid Club

THRU OUT THE YEARS I HAVE ACCUMALETD SEVERAL CLUB MEMBERSHIP QUALIFYING ACHIEVMENTS
1. SAVED $ BOUGHT THE CHEAP ENGINE : LOST ENTIRE INVESTMENT DUE TO DEAD STICK OUTSIDE THE FIELD
2. DAGO RED 100 MPH, "WHAT DID YOU SAY BOBBY, STAY AWAY FROM THE SUN, WHY " !!- "ANYONE SEEN MY PLANE" ? "THERE IT IS OVER THERE", "WHERE"?" IN THAT HOLE IN THE GROUND".
3. WHAT DO YOU MEAN A GILES 202 DOESNT TURN AND FLOAT LIKE A TRAINER ON FINAL APPROACH.
4. THAT SERVO SURE SOUNDS STRANGE, LETS TAKE IT UP AND SEE OF IT GETS BETTER !
5.HAD A NICE SIG SOMETIN EXTRA,(EMPHASIS ON HAD) FLEW IT DIRECTLY OVER MY HEAD AT ABOUT 20 FEET, DID YOU KNOW THAT ALL PERSPECTIVE AND EQUALIBRIUM GETS LOST IN THAT POSITION?
6. 2 WEEKS , 2 PLANES FUNTANA 40, FUNSTAR, ALL STRAIGHT IN, YOUD THINK ID LEARN FROM ONE WEEK TO THE NEXT
NOT ME ! VOTE FOR ME AS PRESIDENT OF THE STUPID CLUB, I VOW TO ENSURE ALL MY PLANES WILL EVENTUALLY FIND THEIR RESTING PLACE LONG BEFORE THEY SHOULD
GO FAST GO WILD GO HOME EXPLAINING ANOTHER STORY TO THE WIFE
Old 06-25-2005, 11:06 PM
antslake
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does putting .75 in a .45 plane qualify?
How expecting that the throttle will never get stuck wide open on the same plane?

Took off with the transmitter ant down once, caught it time.

Flew my sky scooter ina wind so strong that it would only go backwards, even when it was pointing into the wind at full throttle.
When it crashed, you guessed it, I threw it back up again.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:07 PM
MFLOOD3800

MY CLUB HAS A CHALLENGER TO THE OFFICE OF PRESIDENT IN OUR STUPID CLUB
INVERTED, THEN IN THE GROUND
BUT IT FLEW AGAIN (NOTICE THE LACK OF SEVERAL PARTS LIKE A RUDDER,CANOPY, FRT END ETC...)TILL IT HIT HARD AND FLEW AWAY TO NEVER RETURN
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45759.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	289773  
Old 06-25-2005, 11:12 PM
MFLOOD3800

ANTSLAKE THANKS FOR REMINDING ME

WHEN I FIRST STARTED WITH MY FIRST TRAINER, I TOO FORGOT THE ANTENNA ON TX
. MY BIRD TOOK OFF ALL WAS WELL , IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL DAY TO FLY, TIL IT GOT A LITTLE FAR AWAY, IN IT WENT WITH SOME ARIAL STUNTS I COULD NEVER DO ON MY OWN.
IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS AND I MEAN IMMEDIATELY A FLYIN BUD SAYS "HEY DUDE LOOK AT YOUR ANTENNA"

THX
PAL, A LITTLE LATE
Old 06-25-2005, 11:46 PM
kwmtrubrit

It's not just power planes that are affected by the stupid bug. I took my Gentle Lady and Riser 100 sailplanes out about a week ago. The wind was steady at about 8-10mph, more than I usually will fly in but I wanted to fly! I put some ballast in the Gentle Lady and did a hand launch for a test instead of going straight to the highstart. This was my saving grace. The plane ballooned and shot back in a loop and WHACK, went nose first into the ground. Amazingly, damage was minimal. I sat down and started playing aircrash detective. Suddenly the light went off. WRONG BLOODY MODEL NUMBER. I had the tx set for the Riser and this reversed the elevator on the GL. When it ballooned I pushed forward which made it go up and back, then as it was going down I pulled to recover from the dive. The rest is history. Yes, give me a membership too. I'm going to make a pre-flight check list just like the full sized A/C. I guess the good news is that we're not sitting in these disasters.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:45 AM
hookedonrc

I always like to lay out the pieces to my planes in an orderly fashion before I fly. Oh....wait...that's after I flew Never, never, never, let your brain over ride what your thumbs already know how to do. I was inverted and my thumbs said push forward, but my brain, said: "No that's just not right, you always pull back to go up." Should have listened to my thumbs.

Name:	Bz78716.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	289890  
Old 06-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....well said hookedonrc....

.... in this business the thumbs have to be smarter than the brain.

FBD. [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 06-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Time Pilot

ORIGINAL: MFLOOD3800
VOTE FOR ME AS PRESIDENT OF THE STUPID CLUB

I think you've automatically declared yourself President. Anyone willing to volunteer for the position must be perfect for the job.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:51 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

HAHAHAHAHA
Old 06-27-2005, 02:17 AM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

I forgot to extend my antenna and totalled my Uglystick I call vice president. Something more stupid should happen this weekend with my 25" Wingspan 20" long Flying wing i have almost done in one day... Spad is the way to go...
Old 06-27-2005, 02:48 AM
Jimmbbo

When I was in college, I began flying RC with gliders, working my way up to a Soarcraft Libelle, a high performance, high end glider of the time. The Libelle was beautiful and flew great - really fast and a LOT of fun to fly!!

The surgical tubing on my second (or third, or fourth)-hand histart had become old and was breaking when stretched... Simple... just go get replacement tubing... Problem was that I was a starving college student, and 50 feet of surgical tubing from the LHS was equivalent to either a case of beer or lunch for a week... Not wishing to give up either, and recognizing that poverty is the mother of creativity, off I checked the Yellow Pages and off I went to the local industrial rubber supply house... no problem! Got 50 feet of tubing at a decent price... The tubing had a bit thicker wall than the original, but figured that shouldn't be an issue.....

About a month went by while finals came and went, and I made up the new histart and it was off to the flying field with my buddy Steve, who happened to be hanging around at the time but knew nothing of RC... Got to the field and staked the end of the tubing into the ground and handed the parachute end of the histart and my Soarcraft Libelle to Steve with instructions to walk about 50 paces from where the histart became straightened out. About 30 steps uprange, Steve says, "Geez, this seems kinda tight." Since Steve had no knowledge about RC or histarts, he wasn't "calibrated", so I said "That's OK, just keep walking"...

Steve obediently walked out the mandated distance, I checked the controls and told him to launch the glider. He complied, and the Libelle sprang from his hand as if it was JATO assisted. The glider rose to about 20 feet, and I noticed it was rising REALLY FAST and that the wings were REALLY bending.... that is, they really bent until they snapped off just outside the wing joining rod. As the wings fluttered uselessly to the ground, the fuselage transitioned into a nicely streamlined fiberglass ballistic missle moving smartly downrange... The now-wingless fuselage continued to accelerate till the histart ring slid off the hook, then proceeded another 100 yards to its spectacular demise...

Guess I shoulda listened to Steve.

Cheers!

Jim
Old 06-27-2005, 06:21 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

....well said hookedonrc....

.... in this business the thumbs have to be smarter than the brain.

FBD. [sm=bananahead.gif]
FBD,

My thumbs and I are still not on speaking terms from last sunday. They are to the point of curling up inside my palm if I even look at them. All because I chewed them out for 5 minutes. Thumbs, just like 15yr olds can't tell them anything, sheesh.

I told them if they did not start behaving I would start using the pinch method for all of my flying. Made them really mad
Old 06-27-2005, 07:25 AM
skier

Lets just say that low, slow, and inverted with an engine that doesn't like to go back to full power after a prolonged time near idle is stupid combination.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:21 AM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

How bout filling the back of a supersportser ep up with bb's mixed in 6-minute epoxy to balance it. lol It did not work and spent hours drilling them out. Man they were in their good[:@]
Old 06-30-2005, 02:20 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

I think the bearing on offices should have some ratio voting entered,, by this I mean add the stupidy of the mistake from 1-10 and the money value lost 1 being a $100 dollar plane - 10 being a 40% Carden Extra,, so I have a 8.5 on the stuipid end and a 7 on the money end which gives me a total of 15.5 out of 20 so I am leading for presidential honors at this moment,,[&o]
Old 06-30-2005, 02:40 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Who can top that? I know Jason Shulman crashed his Comp ARF extra at the last TOC giving him a 10. He admitted stupidity for not going in to high rates before doing a blender which gives him a rating of 6 which tops you by .5 points.

(Sorry, I know you really wanted to be president.)

Just to be clear here, Do you have to be running to be voted in? Also, how stupid would you rate a crashing on purpose?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:46 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I don't think crashing on pupose counts - the plane does exactly what you tell it to do. Although points still given for magnitude.
On second thought, if you try to crash it, and it doesn't crash, maybe that counts for a few points too. (I've done some foamies like that)
Old 06-30-2005, 09:20 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These guys get my vote. I am sworn to secrecy as to which club's fly-in this was.[X(]

Name:	Ig11831.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	292235  
Old 07-01-2005, 09:36 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Hey WOOPS since I am running for president I might as well politic againest everyone,, Jason at the 2002 TOC forgot to turn highrates off when he started to pull out of the blender at around 100mph and when he pulled up with 45degrees of throw it high speed stalled,,, and BOOMMMMMM!!! 8000 down the drain,,, along with this he is a sponsored pilot so the money end,, he gets no points,, on stupidity he would get a 8-9, so VOTE JONGURLEY FOR PRESIDENT< P.S. I guess you guys have figured out that I have alot of free time at work,,,,,,,
Old 07-01-2005, 06:27 PM
ddaver
My Feedback: (3)

I'm over it now, and I regret not taking pictures.

It was my first gasser and everyone commented on how beautifully she flew. My Ultra Stick 120 with G-26 went in to the soft field so hard that I reached into the hole all the way up to my elbow and could just feel the firewall. I hadda come back the next day with a shovel to dig it out.
Full tank of fuel shattered and spilled (EPA agents still after me).

An adjustable servo arm failed when the retaining screw backed out a couple turns. I noticed this malady on the first day I flew it, but figured it was just not tightened securely during construction, so I kept an eye on it but never "loctited" it as I should have. A few weeks later............

I went to full throttle as I pulled out of a dive, but she just kept diving I was in such shock that I didn't think to pull back on the throttle. The only thing keeping her from going completely underground was the wing and landing gear, the wing was burried to the spar and I hadda pry it outta earths grip.

Two lessons learned
#1 never use those stupid adjustable servo arms.
#2 if it's got threads - LOCTITE

dave
Old 07-10-2005, 08:15 PM
CJKling
My Feedback: (1)

I'm back in the running after today, made an attempt to start an .82 with a relatively new APC prop on it.......sliced both my middle and pointer finger pretty bad.........I knew better....
Old 07-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Bdud

tho im a boat guy id like to sign up a get a membership! how much monthly? actually i want a lump sum
Old 07-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Time Pilot

ORIGINAL: Bdud

...i'd like to sign up a get a membership! how much monthly?
You pay your dues whenever you do something stupid.

Is there anyone creative out there who could make a "Stupid Club" membership card?

I'm also wondering how the folks here at RCU would appreciate us giving one out to anyone who looks like they deserve one.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:29 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I'd like to offer my services as club secretary.

My qualifications?

If you fly electrics of any sort, then you know they use these things called 'batteries'. Now, batteries tend to lose power after a bit of flying. of course, an experienced electric pilot knows...when the battery starts losing power, the performance of the plane changes. It acts as though...you guessed it...it doesn't have enough power.

So, the wise and experienced electric pilot decides that it is time to land the aircraft. Here he comes...this wise and experienced electric pilot...turning off base onto final. It is at this point that painfully learned lessons collide.

Lesson 1: When suffering from a lack of power, airplanes don't fly well. They should be landed as soon as possible.

Lesson 2: Many many MANY crash stories end with 'I should have gone around'

The pilot is not pleased with his rather poor landing approach. You see, the lack of power has made his aircraft handle a good bit differently on the turn to final than it usually does, resulting in his final being less than ideal. 'No problem', thinks he, 'I'll just go around'.

At which point I applied full throttle, pulled back on the little stick thingy, and had JUST enough time to think 'Oh *&^&, THAT was stupid" before gravity won the argument.

[sm=disappointed.gif]
Old 07-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Time Pilot

ORIGINAL: gboulton

I'd like to offer my services as club secretary.

My qualifications?
[sm=disappointed.gif]
A stupid person doesn't have any qualifications, they only think they do, but we'll let you have the job anyway because you volunteered. Now all we need is a treasurer to keep track of how much money we don't have because we're flying it into the ground and we're good to go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.