Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Condolences for a Full Scale Crash

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Condolences for a Full Scale Crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 11:14 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condolences for a Full Scale Crash

I'm really not sure WHERE this thread should be...I chose here simply because I figured the topic might be of most interest to airplane buffs. Mods, by all means, please move this to somewhere more appropriate if necessary.

Yesterday, 2 members of the 'Masters of Disaster' aerobatic team, Bobby Younkin and Jimmy Franklin, lost their lives when their bi-planes collided in mid-air during a particularly eventful and busy part of their routine at the Moose Jaw Annual Airshow in Moose Jaw, Sask. The third member of the group, Jim LeRoy, landed his Bulldog safely without incident.

For plane enthusiasts, this group of guys had it all. LeRoy pulls off 3D aerobatics in a full sized bipe that rival anything any of us do with models. Franklin went for the 'just because it CAN be done' crowd with his Jet Assisted biplane capable of taking off from the taxi-way, and also featured his son Kyle as a wing walker during several routines. And finally, Younkin exemplified grace and 'pure piloting' as he performed aerobatics with, among other aircraft, a twin Beech and a Lear Jet.

I had the pleasure of seeing this group perform recently at the Great TN Airshow in Smyrna. They were an EXCEPTIONAL group of pilots, each bringing his own style to aerobatics. I also had the pleasure of meeting both Franklins and LeRoy after the show, and they are tremendous, down to earth people.

Franklin had often said that his job was 'more fun than the law should allow'. Younkin often said that an airshow just wasn't an airshow without a pilot doing things the crowd had never seen before, and off he would go performing half cuban 8's and spectacular loops in a Twin Beech...certainly something few of us had ever seen, and none of us who did will ever forget.

The airshow community, fans, and all airplane enthusiasts lost 2 terrific 'friends' yesterday.

My condolences to their families and associates, and especially to Jim LeRoy. I hope he will continue his own shows in their honor...somehow I think they'd want him to.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:16 AM
airbatic

Default RE: Condolences for a Full Scale Crash

Schade!

Kraus
Old 07-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

Jimmy Franklin and Bobby Younkin were two of my favorite air show performers. It really stinks losing both of them this way. They will be greatly missed. My prayers for both of them, Jimmy's son Kyle, Jimmy's and Bobby's loved ones, and Jim Leroy.

I loved watching Jimmy Franklin fly his jet biplane. Every time he climbed, with that jet burning, I would laugh my self silly. He was so fun to watch.

I saw Bobby Younkin put Samson into a snap roll right after take off once. He was exciting! I got to get a close up look at Samson at an air show at Lunken Airport in Cincinnati. Simply a beautiful ship.

I'm just a casual air show fan, and I'm feeling depressed over this. I hate when things like this happen. What a shame. []
Old 07-11-2005, 12:43 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted too in the clubhouse as I didn't see this post you made. This is a tragedy. I really enjoyed watching these guys fly here at the airshows in jersey. They will be missed.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:48 PM
gboulton

Marc, my appologies for not checking the clubhouse for your post. Please feel free to merge these, or delete mine, or what have you.

Bruno,

I agree...I ADORED watching all 3 of those guys perform. What always seemed so special about them, as a group, was that each brought something different. Jimmy was SO 'on the edge' with that jet powered bipe, Jim L is so innovative with Bulldog, and Bobby, of them all, was the most graceful...watching a Twin Beech do the things he did with it, and look like a dancer rather than a lumbering ox...simply amazing.

As I said before...I sincerely hope Jim will keep flying despite the loss. Not only do I think the pair would have wanted him to, but I would hate to see crowds deprived of the skill and talent he brings to aerobatics.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:59 PM
724SP
My Feedback: (10)

Exactly my feelings on this subject. I have been watching Jimmy Franklin perform for many years and always loved his innovation. He used to do an act called "Dueling Wacos" which was just fantastic to watch. When he showed up on the circuit with the jet powered Waco, I had the exact same reaction as Bruno. As Jimmy would pull into that vertical line and light the burner, I just laughed myself into tears at how ridiculous that biplane looked, climbing like a rocket! I too will miss him.

I had the pleasure of watching Bobby Younkin for the first time at Oshkosh last year. He flew the Beech 18 and the Decathlon. I really thought the Decathlon act was superb. He was so smooth and made the routine in the Decathlon look so effortless. He flew many maneuvers that guys in Extras and Caps and Pitts Specials were doing, but making it look easy in a stock 180 h.p. aircraft.

Definately a sad loss for the aviation community.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Sukhoi_Madness

Old 07-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Flying Hog

I saw the accident on the news today, but they didn't say who it was. I am sadden by the loss. They Died doing what they loved. These pic's were taken at Oshkosh in '03. The last one Speaks for itself. God be with their families.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94690.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	296310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26245.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	296311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33033.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	296312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32843.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	296313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23392.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	296314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp94514.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	296315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np19192.jpg
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	296316  
Old 07-11-2005, 08:55 PM
gboulton

Thanks for those pics, Bob.

My own contribution...sadly, I didn't get any good ones of Jim at this year's show, but I got this one of Bobby.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60994.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	296327  
Old 07-12-2005, 02:16 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Godspeed to these two great aviators.

"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 07-12-2005, 07:52 AM
cougar347

I am so deeply saddened by this terrible tragedy. I watched the Masters of Destruction at Oshkosh in 2003 and was totally blown away by their performance. They truly put on the best airshow I have ever seen. The Jet powered Waco was a sight to behold. Seeing that big biplane go vertical was a sight and sound that I will never forget-I agree, you had to laugh. My thoughts and prayers go out to their loved ones during this difficult time.

Here's a downloadable video of the team in action

http://www.airsho.org/airsho-video/...-TEAM_video.wmv

Blue skies forever gentlemen

Vince
Old 07-12-2005, 09:40 AM
StallN

I saw the Waco for the first time this year at the airshow at Barksdale AFB. I never thought I would see a bi-plane do the things this one could do. I was looking forward to seeing it again at future shows. These two magnificent pilots will be greatly missed.
My prayers to them and their family.

S
Old 07-12-2005, 10:15 PM
TailSlider

Looks Like They Lived up to there Names Sake
[&o]
Old 07-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Horizon

I saw this yesterday not sure if its the crash.

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/biplaneair.html
Old 07-13-2005, 09:06 AM
gumhead

ORIGINAL: Horizon

I saw this yesterday not sure if its the crash.

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/biplaneair.html
No that was not the crash. They collided in mid air.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Mike3579
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just found this out today from a fellow club member about the tragedy. I've seen Jim franklin perform at Sussex air show in NJ and he was absolutely amazing to watch. And the "Masters of Disasters" routine was truly mind blowing to watch.!!! I will keep them and their families in my prayers. Bobby and Jimmy will be missed greatly and airshows wont be the same without them[&o]