Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

2nd crash in 2 months, MY FAULT not giving up tho

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

2nd crash in 2 months, MY FAULT not giving up tho

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:33 PM
FlyinSooner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd crash in 2 months, MY FAULT not giving up tho

great day to fly in Oklahoma today. Took my 2nd plane, Hangar 9 Solo Sport out to the field as I do every day. Calm winds, not a cloud in the sky.

I got a total of 6 flights in today, the last two being crashes. I was actually getting proficient at inverted flight in this HIGH dihedral plane. Found out that it wont just nose over when it stalls tho, It will spin to the left EVERY TIME. No problem, being a full scale pilot i at least know the recovery procedure.

Having great fun spinning, tightening them up then recovering, inverted flight all the fun stuff, w/ a .51 on it I was able to hover a bit.

NOTE: we've been having many more radio hits at our field the past week.

First Crash: great taxi, smooth slow ascent rate take off the it suddenly went vertical, continued the loop to inverted then i got it back, leveled the wings and tried to bring it in. It banked toward me and dove for the ground from about 50ft. She slammed the runway nearly flat, bent the nosegear back and debladed the prop. It ballooned back up, engine sounded like complete crap (horrible unbalance) so i chopped the left stick, and glided in for a smooth landing. as i walked out to it, the flight controls were goin crazy (my receiver is fine) radio hit from hell

fixed the nosegear, replaced the prop, range checked. let it sit w/ the tx rx on, no interference.

Second Crash: again great taxi smooth slow ascent rate takeoff, and yes again it went vertical and banked to the right, i recovered it and started to fly around easily w/ some altitude to see what she was doing. She was doing fine so I kept flying. Immelmans, loops, snaprolls, slow rolls, limited knife edge, inverted flight. (all with enough altitude for a recovery) the 2 regulars that sit and talk every afternoon were impressed. (ive only been flying RC for less than 2 months) got a lil cocky and dropped to about 50ft for an inverted pass. rolled it, added down elev, nice and stable moderate speed pass, caught an updraft that rolled the airplane to the left, the down elevator of course pushed it down, recovered that fine, but with the little authority the ailerons have on a trainer, she couldnt roll wings level in time. POW!! firewall gone, tail feathers gone, (all the reinforcement i had done came off LOL) the engine was about 25 feet away with the motor mount horns still attached. The wings were toast (except for the brass tube/dowel rod i used for a joiner, really strong)

soo i trashed it and im putting the engine and radios into some odd looking sportster a gentleman out there gave me. low wing very little dihedral, FAT symmetrical wing taildragger, he told me the name but i forget. I'll post pix of the new plane soon. I'm also getting a Great Planes Giles G-202 .46 already built with a .91 already hung for 130. not gonna fly that one for a while.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Alliot

Default RE: 2nd crash in 2 months, MY FAULT not giving up tho

Don't give up!! crashes are parts of the game.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:38 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's ok. We have one guy at our field that regularly crashes just about every weekend. On Sunday, in fact, he did three aircraft in. Not a good record. He recently really totaled a very nice CAP 232 with a brand spanking new Super Tigre (2300 I think) 1.4 glow engine. Completely destroyed the engine, bent crank, and so on. Sooo... cheer up and keep flying!!

DS.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:58 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

After 4-6 flights, were you checking battery voltage?