Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Preventing Useless Crashes: Pre-Flight Checklist

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Preventing Useless Crashes: Pre-Flight Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Spitfire222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventing Useless Crashes: Pre-Flight Checklist

My first crash happened a few years ago with my first plane, a GP Spectra motor glider. It wasnt caused by dumb thumbs or anything, just the case of reversed controls on the rudder....[:'(]

I was using a 6 channel, non-computer radio for the Spectra, and also for a "new" hand me down trainer from a fellow club member. Using the same radio for both planes required that the rudder channel be reversed for each plane. I had been working on the trainer the night before, and didnt reverse the rudder back for the Spectra (rudder only, no ailerons). The next day at the field, I hand launch the Spectra, and as it starts drifting to the right, I give it left rudder to straighten out. As you can guess, this lead to more right turning, followed by more left input from me, as the plane headed for the ground. The plane fell from only about 6-7 feet, but it was enough to smash the fuse to toothpicks. All the radio equipment and motor, etc were/are fine. The wing, which was attached by rubber bands survived with hardly a scratch as it cartwheeled off the fuse after the rubber band hold-down dowels ripped out of the fuse. Its now sitting in the basement waiting for me to finish current projects to build it another fuse to mate it to....

Needless to say, I learned my lesson....

This past summer, I began taking full scale flight lessons, and I got to thinking. Why not do the same thing that full scale pilots do before they take off i.e. pre-flight checklists? Our planes may not be as large or carry humans, but nonetheless the idea is safety and preventing crashes/damage, etc. I spend about a good 30 min checking out the full scale plane before even getting into it, and its all done using a physical written checklist so its the same everytime, and I dont miss anything. The same can be applied to our models:

While just about every pilot "pre-flights" his plane before flying (or should), I am going to begin using physical checklists, making one specifically for each plane in my hangar, and go through it each time before a flight with a plane. The checklist would include checking items before the engine is on (correct surface deflection, wheels on tight, horns, clevises, screws tight or loose, etc) and after the engine is on (excessive vibration?, radio switch on, got your frequency free? etc). This way, you'd be sure that you checked everything, everytime. An advantage is that you can make extra checklists for other with the same or similar planes.If something doesnt check out, dont fly. I wont prevent crashes due to pilot error, but it is one more way to make sure the plane is airworthy, and at its mechanical best. I've definitely learned my lesson the hard way, by losing a great plane because I didnt pre-flight it properly. [&o] Now, you can be sure that if one of my plane crashes, it will most likely be due to pilot error, something we cant prevent with a pre-flight checklist.

Sure it may take some more time to go through the checklist, but it will prevent you from being grounded from losing a plane to poor pre-flight preparation.
What do you think?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:57 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Preventing Useless Crashes: Pre-Flight Checklist

Spitfire

Myself and piper_chuck did this a few months ago and they have been a pretty popular download

You can get them here and feel free to add/change whatever you wish. There are both at the filed and at home checklists in both word document and adobe pdf formats

http://www.krcs748.com/checklist/
Old 08-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Spitfire222

Excellent! Much better and more complete than mine! I'll print out a few and modify them for each plane if need be. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:22 AM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: Spitfire222

Excellent! Much better and more complete than mine! I'll print out a few and modify them for each plane if need be. Thanks!
Excellent

If you feel that they need anything added to them that may help others in general, feel free to PM me with the additions and I'll see that it gets added
Old 08-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Spitfire- Damascus, MD is my home town, if you know where that is. Did/are you taking lessons at KFDK? Better not fly much to the south...damn ADIZ[:@] I got my Private in Warriors and 172s, and am currently working towards mt CFII/Multi with an A&P cert. What are you flying? Sorry, I got sidetracked....

Your idea of a checklist is great, but it will be just another factor that separates the men from the boys. It boils down to having the inner discipline to make it a part of your routine. I do a very basic preflight on my models for the first flight of the day; I check free and correct control movement, battery charge, and full tank. Start the engine, and confirm proper operation. When it comes to flying the real thing, I will not take off without a thorough preflight. It takes only a couple of minutes, and saves a lot of worry. Good luck with your ticket(s), and have fun![8D]
Old 08-12-2005, 12:24 AM
The Raven

Many members at our club do this and, the instructors do teach people about it. My pre-flight starts when I get to the field.

Radio impounded.
Plane restraint in place
Fit up wing and aileron servo, double check polarity of connector.
Attach wing and double check rubber bands (it's a trainer)
Peg frequency and get radio, double check model memory and voltage as I walk back to plane.
Turn on RX and go for a range check.
Stand behind plane and check every surface moves correctly in relation to controls, check throttle (I had one gum up once).
Turn off RX and TX and impound radio etc.

Prior to flight:

Fuel up and prime
Peg freq and get radio
Usual start up and full power check
Move out to runway following all club calls and safety requirements
Once on runway last check before takeoff is to reconfirm all control surfaces are working correctly.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:33 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing is more embarrassing than getting to the flying field and realize that you have forgotten something - the radio (been there, done that) a couple of times. I use a mental checklist as I load up for the day, correct radio(s), fuel, fuel delivery system, plane(s), battery, flight box, AMA card, sunglasses, and a hat. At the field, freq pin, range check, preflight of plane, correct plane on correct radio, etc.. Written checklists work, but after awhile, people don't use them. A full scale pilot uses them, but , a perfect example is your own car - do you check the oil after every stop (or even on a daily basis), tire pressure, etc.. But, personally, I think that every student should be provided a good checklist such as the one listed above, when they start flying. Good job Bubba
Old 08-12-2005, 07:52 AM
bubbagates

Good job Bubba
Aw, Shucks [sm=wink.gif]

I'd like to take all the credit but beleive it or not, that was done using a poll here on RCU about a year ago and with the help of piper_chuck, what you all see was the result. So in reality, it was all of the RCU members that responded to the poll, I compiled it, piper_chuck laid it out and I converted it to both formats. There are several older threads around that have the link but according to my web logs it gets downloaded around 100 times a month so not to bad and at least it's getting used
Old 08-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Dazzler40

One problem I had which did not show up on a preflight check was a solder connection which came apart in a receiver battery. The battery checked good before flight and flight was going good until making final turn for approach. The plane did not respond to any input and when we picked up the pieces we found the connection between two of the cells had come apart. This was a factory assembled battery pack.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:21 AM
cwrr5

That happens in 1:1 scale also... A good preflight routine will catch a lot of things, but some just aren't apparent on the ground.

Not knocking preflights by any means - I do them too. The checklist is a GREAT thing!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:26 AM
bubbagates

Somethings just do not show up until you are in flight. The stresses are different that sitting on the ground and besides, unless the shrink wrap is clear on the battery, you will not see that connection going bad and it is possible that
there was no way to detect it while checking battery volts/load over time and if it was a slow occuring break it would have looked like a battery going weak. A solder joint failing suddenly will not show at all until G load exists unless you grab the batt before each flight and give it a twist
Old 08-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have one in my site under Tips and Tricks
Old 08-12-2005, 01:45 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: Dazzler40

One problem I had which did not show up on a preflight check was a solder connection which came apart in a receiver battery. The battery checked good before flight and flight was going good until making final turn for approach. The plane did not respond to any input and when we picked up the pieces we found the connection between two of the cells had come apart. This was a factory assembled battery pack.
The above scenario is exactly the reason I always use dual independant battery packs in all my aircraft.

The checklists are very good. The problem is that too many pilots have a "I don't know, don't care" approach to safety.

Safe Flying!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Hey Flycfii and Spitfire My flight training is in the Wash/Balt corrider as well and I actually printed a pre-flight checklist several weeks ago for my own sanity. Seems only logical and helps starts to put your mind in a flying mode rather than "What did I forget" mode on your way to the field. BTW I fly out of Hayes field in Howard County and Tipton in Ft Meade both of which are 5 mi rings to Balt/Wash Int. and the ADIZ is a pain in the Neck. I understand that if your flying out of Frederick Airport you don't need the ADIZ clearance number. But anyhow a checklist for flying anything is a real life and time saver....."I've got the aircraft".