Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Another SE down

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Another SE down

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 10:28 PM
conradj87
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another SE down

tonight i was over at a buddy's house and he wanted to see me fly, we went into a school's baseball/soccer fields, nobody was using them. It went well for a while, it was alot of fun, and they thought it was cool. i brought it out to turn around for an approach and something glitched, it could've been me, it could have been interference really not sure. i tried to correct it and thought it was comming towards me right side up, but it was going away from me inverted. i pulled up and it went down behind some trees. we took off thru running the woods and found it quite nicely in somebodys back yard, alot of it still intact. the fuse forward from the leading edge was toothpicks, but the leading edge was in pretty good shape execpt for one wingtip. the hatch was blown off and was laying about 15 feet away, while the rest was in one spot. im guessing the trees broke its fall enough. the engine appears to be ok, i need to clean it out. it bent my aluminum spinner, so it hit hard, but could have been worse, i was really high. the only other problem was one servo was stripped. it sucks, but now im gonna rebuild it better im enlarging all the control surfaces, counterbalancing the elevators and rudder. and recovering the whole thing.

it was a kit, i kept all the plans and most of the cut outs, so rebuilding will be no problem , it should be a really easy fix.
If anybody has any ideas for a covering scheme, right now its just the red and white

pics to come tomorrow sometime, i'm tired

This is the second plane i've crashed with the same friend watching, he's not allowed to come anymore
Old 08-23-2005, 10:07 PM
conradj87

Default RE: Another SE down

did a bit of repair, had to cut off more than i expected[], but this way i can use the servo tray as extra reinforcement, should work out ok
i made the inner layers of the fuse with the 1/8 in balsa, i don't have enough wood to make any of the fuse formers or the outer sides so until i can get out its gonna sit there
school just started so i won't be working on till this weekend or after
Heres some pics, enjoy
any feedback or advice would be helpful
thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50328.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	314280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58258.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	314281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14974.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	314282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11159.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	314283  
Old 08-25-2005, 12:55 PM
ecmiller

Your lucky you didn't hurt someone. AMA insurance won't cover you in that scenario.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:49 PM
weskel

Jesus, why does someone always throw that in....

People believe if you are not at a AMA club you shouldnt be flying, that is BS!!

With anything in life you take a risk of being sued, you ride your bike into a baby stroller and hurt someones child, you can bet your AMA wont help you there either..

Weskel
Old 08-27-2005, 04:54 AM
drunkenbushman

ORIGINAL: weskel

Jesus, why does someone always throw that in....

People believe if you are not at a AMA club you shouldnt be flying, that is BS!!

With anything in life you take a risk of being sued, you ride your bike into a baby stroller and hurt someones child, you can bet your AMA wont help you there either..

Weskel
My exact thoughts. Im sick of hearing in every post on this board that the "ama" would not approve of that, or they will have your membership for that.

Get your nose out the the AMA's butt and live life.

Edit: Sorry bout your loss Jomama
Old 08-27-2005, 07:46 AM
RC-Captain

Your lucky you didn't hurt someone. AMA insurance won't cover you in that scenario.
I hate to get on this topic in the middle of someones plane crash, but AMA will cover you as long as you follow the rules, it does not state you have to fly at a AMA chartered club. I have been flying for 5 years and have never flown any of my planes at a club. The parks where I fly the police always reassure me there are no ordinances for flying my planes in the park. GOLFING maybe , but not flying a plane. So I suggest you reread or even call them like I did to find out what's covered and what's not covered.

Now having said that , The plane you are showing in the pics looks like a fast plane and I wouldn't fly in a field bigger than a baseball field. I used to fly at a field where there were 2 baseball fields(a trainer) and decided it was just not enough room for low winged planes. GL with the rebuild .
Old 08-27-2005, 08:45 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Why wouldn't the AMA aprove that?

Good luck with the rekitting. What color scheme are you looking for? Colors? Any specific patterns that you want to incorporate in?

Woops
Old 08-27-2005, 09:18 AM
straitnate14
My Feedback: (2)

you should have left out the part about flying in the park now the safty nazi's are going to gripe and complain. good luck fixing it and try not to crash in the park anymore! lol
Old 08-27-2005, 09:42 AM
weskel

I'm so glad to other people share my views...

I didnt say it before, but sorry for the loss.

Weskel
Old 08-27-2005, 10:02 AM
KaosDriver

JOMAMMA: Sorry about the crash, and good luck on the re-build! We have probably got more people interested in this hobby by flying at local schools/athletic fields than all clubs combined. Post some more pic's when you're done......Mark
Old 08-27-2005, 11:29 PM
conradj87

the field was alot bigger than just the baseball field, sorry i kinda left that out. It had a full size football field with a track around it, about 50 yards to the left of that was the baseball fields, and to the left of that was a soccer field. it was big enough that you could play all 3 games at the same time with no problems. I probably shouldn't have flown there, but everybody always says that after they crash doing something different.

I worked on it for a while, go the firewall and the fuse former cut out.still have a few more pieces to make before it can get glued. The part i made doesn't fit the plane right now, i was trying to make sure it was square before i put it on the plane. Its a half inch longer than it needs to be so i have some room to play around with it

for the convering i was thinking about painting the frame one color and then covering it in transparent covering. My brother made a little glider like that, it looked cool, but im not sure how it would look on a bigger plane with different colors. i was thinking maybe use the original scheme i had, but chage the white to blue and the red to silver and paint the wood silver too? or would it be too much?

thanks again guys

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47045.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	316132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49487.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	316133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59564.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	316134  
Old 08-28-2005, 06:19 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

I've always wanted to spray my SE aluminum and cover with clear. Transparent red and Transparent blue would also look good over Aluminum with jet white over the nose and LE.

Woops
Old 09-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Swager

I hope noone crashs in my back yard!! My daughter like to play out there.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:38 PM
laker500

Can someone clear this up for me. I thought that the insurance you get through the AMA is "supplemental". Meaning it kicks in only when your home owners doesnt cover all of the related expenses. True answers only please, not speculation. Jeff
Old 09-05-2005, 08:41 AM
FishMan
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: Swager

I hope noone crashs in my back yard!! My daughter like to play out there.
EXACTLY! Its not the, "oh AMA wont like that B.S." Its the fact that someone could have been hurt, because some yahoo was showin off. Stick that plane in my backyard where my kids play and you will find it where the sun dont shine! Thats a promise [>:]
Old 09-05-2005, 10:25 AM
redneckmn

Not Everyone has a nice field to fly on. I fly from the football field in the town that I live in. The neighbors around the field were asked BEFORE I started flying there if they had a problem with me there, and EVERYONE said that they would love to se me fly there. I even had a couple of the older gents take flying lessons from me there and they eventually got their own planes. I am an AMA member, but if my plane damages anything, My homeowners policy will cover it. I checked with my agent before I flew there to confirm it. Some companies wont cover r/c planes, but mine will and the agent only asked for my AMA number and for pictures and descriptions of my planes. They even cover me when I am instructing someone. So, if you have a problem with the guys that fly somewhere else than a sanctioned AMA field, I suggest that you go help that person find a suitable flying field to fly from!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 10:44 PM
DustOffUH1

Sorry for your loss dude. It sounds like where you fly is a lot better/safer than where a local club flys just outside of Chicago, in a forest preserve. The field itself is not all that big (they used to fly control line planes there when I was a kid, about 30 years ago) about 20 yards from 1 very busy street, 100 yards form another busy street, with businesses & houses all around. So as far as I see a "glitch" or pilot "mishap" could be just as unsafe. But the club, and other people, fly there all the time, w/o "mishaps". So don't feel bad about where you fly. Just be as safe as possible, thats all anyone can ask/expect. Although I would feel a lot better if they moved the field somewhere else in the forest preserve with more space & further away from traffic.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:20 PM
laker500

Hi Dustoff,
I don't mean to pry but were you a true Dustoff Pilot? My hats off to you if you were, thats about the gutsiest job I've ever heard about. Thanks, Jeff
Old 09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Avistar 2

Such pity,I rather learn from a instuctor
I rather fly far far away from homes powerlines etc
if you going to fly in a park use a parkflyer like firebirds
I still like those utralites, anyway
if your going gas get a StudyBirdyII to get the crashing out your system.
Really go out to desert to fly theres nothing out to bug you
Good luck restoring her back health,
You rather be safe than sorry.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:05 PM
DustOffUH1

Hi Laker500,
No I was not. I use that name to honor all the DustOff pilots and crews since it was created back in Viet Nam. I have total and utmost respect for every person, in every branch of service. However, after seeing a few shows about DustOff pilots and crews, then & now, like you, I think thats one of the gutsiest jobs in the armed forces, not taking anything away from anyone else. But those guys went/go way above and beyond "the call of duty". Last and definately not least, because my Uncle was a DustOff crew chief in Viet Nam, but unfortunately he didn't return back home.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Avistar 2

Thank god you was not lauching a model rocket,
god who what could happen....
Old 09-07-2005, 10:08 PM
weskel

Yeah, with a model rocket, you might have injured a poor little birdie, then not only would the AMA be mad, but so would the tree huggers!!!!

Weskel