Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

bye bye edge 540......

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

bye bye edge 540......

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 12:05 AM
deadstickpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bye bye edge 540......

well, i lost my neew edge 540 today...... taking off went well, triming out well, and a little touch'n goes went well. so then i thought i'd do a high speed knife edge. BAD NEWS[:@] the dang plane went into failsafe!!! so then you see a plane coming in at 60 mph and SMASH. the pieces went flying every were. dang hitec![:'(]
Old 12-30-2005, 06:49 AM
Thor84

Default RE: bye bye edge 540......

wow thats 2 planes lost because of failsafes
Old 12-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Got any Pictures?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:43 AM
kregan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you feel it is Hitec's fault?

ORIGINAL: deadstickpilot

well, i lost my neew edge 540 today...... taking off went well, triming out well, and a little touch'n goes went well. so then i thought i'd do a high speed knife edge. BAD NEWS[:@] the dang plane went into failsafe!!! so then you see a plane coming in at 60 mph and SMASH. the pieces went flying every were. dang hitec![:'(]
Old 12-30-2005, 11:33 AM
Villa

deadstickpilot....This failsafe thing is new to me. I have read somethings about it but cannot recall details. How can you tell it has gone into failsafe? What does it do in failsafe?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:35 PM
deadstickpilot

Well it wasnt much of fail safe, it was more of a lock out. i have some pics some where im my computer but it wil take FOREVER to find. o and hitec[:'(] has claimed one of my other planes.[:@]
Old 12-30-2005, 12:43 PM
kregan

details?

Well it wasnt much of fail safe, it was more of a lock out. i have some pics some where im my computer but it wil take FOREVER to find. o and hitec[:'(] has claimed one of my other planes.[:@]
Old 12-30-2005, 02:32 PM
deadstickpilot

wat do u mean details?? the dumb servos locked out and turned my plane into a 60mph lawn dart!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:00 PM
kregan

Just asking for more details if you are going to blame
Hitec for your crash...

How did the servo's lock out?
Was it a Hitec Rx?
Was it a Hitec Crystal?
Single conversion Rx or double?
Hitec Servo's ?
Which ones?
Gas Engine or Glow?
What transmitter?

You know details!

Old 12-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

wat do u mean details?? the dumb servos locked out and turned my plane into a 60mph lawn dart!!!!!!!!!
You originally said your plane went into failsafe while doing a knife-edge pass..how did you program your surfaces to act when you lose your signal? Most either set them to goto neutral/idle or maybe into a spin etc...

Servos just locking over is completely different...
Old 12-30-2005, 06:05 PM
deadstickpilot

the planes servos just qiut while i came in for a knife edge. well, thats wat i get for buying $8.00 servo and cheap reciever.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

the planes servos just qiut while i came in for a knife edge. well, thats wat i get for buying $8.00 servo and cheap reciever.
you mean you lost battery power to the servos ? Is this a glow or gasser?
Old 12-30-2005, 06:54 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Let's list what we know so far.......

1)8$ servos? Are there any servos cheaper than 8$? I don't think so.

2)Since when does Hitec have a failsafe or PCM? They don't so "lockout" is completely misunderstood here.

3)It sounds like this was a maiden flight and you did a high speed knife edge. That tells me you are not very experianced else you would have been testing out more important things like inverted flight for CG adjustment on the first flight.

4)You have lost another plane due to some radio related problem.

5)You can't figure out how to find pictures on your computer.

All that leads me to believe that you are not a very technical person. Blaming Hitec for a problem that you probably created it just not taking responsability for your actions. Time to look at some other factors that caused the crashes than just blaming Hitec.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:52 PM
deadstickpilot

right............ so ur saying im a bad pilot??? we checked the battery, did a full range test, and went over all the controls. when i went to grab wat was left of my plane, i REchecked the battery, and went over the controls. every servo was frozen wen i went to check them. there was good battery connection etc. the dang servos just froze!!and apparently froze at full trrottle.[:@]
Old 12-31-2005, 12:03 AM
RaceCity

Ya know...

One of the most often overlooked items in the post-mortem is the switch harness. Almost all radios come with a switch that is worth about $0.15. Good most of the time, but when it's not...it costs you a lot of heartache.

A sudden loss of power will lock 'er up tight.

Nothing like a good impact with terra firma to get the switch back in working order.

I'd recommend to anyone flying a plane worth more than $50 to go buy a good aftermarket switch harness!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 10:34 AM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

I have to agree with Basinbum on this one. Not trying to discredit your claim, but I want to make sure that the common mistake of RC pilots of blaming the equipment, or winds in a mixing bowl or being hit and not simply pilot error hasn't occurred here. If you do not fully understand what happened, you will be doomed to repeat it again and again. This may be the case in your two crashes. I for one have been using HiTec servos for a few years and have found them to be nothing but good servos. Granted, I haven't been able or lucky enough to find any $8 dollar ones. Here are some questions that were asked before but haven't been answered.

1) Were these purchased from some other member? Not sure where you purchased those $8 dollar HiTec servos.
2) Have they been in a crash before?
3) Did you fully trim out your plane before trying any aerobatic maneuvers?
4) What caused the first planes demise? Was it during a trim flight?
5) Did something possible come loose? Do you secure your extentions with heat shrink or clips?
6) What receiver were you using?
7) What radio do you have?

All of these questions will help others here possible determine the cause of your crash. Just blaming HiTec will not help you learn anything about the crash. Please take these questions in the manner that I am posing them. Just trying to help.

DD
Old 12-31-2005, 11:25 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Deadstick...I didn't say you are a bad pilot, I have no way of knowing what kind of pilot you are without seeing you fly. I am saying that it's to easy to blame the radio when chances are with two crashes that you didn't have two bad radios. I'm saying you need to look at other possible causes and through deductive reasoning try and figure out what the problem is. Saying things like "the servos were frozen" doesn't really mean much to me.