Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Plane Down!!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Plane Down!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 10:48 PM
bbbair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane Down!!

VANCOUVER (CP) - There were no injuries or deaths when a plane crashed in a Vancouver suburb on Sunday afternoon.

In fact, there weren't even any crew or passengers aboard.

Police and paramedics were relieved to discover the accident in a field off Surrey's Fraser Highway was on a much smaller scale.

The aircraft was a 1.5-metre toy plane model.

"We sent all our cars down there thinking there was a small ultra-light or a small plane that had crashed but after going there we determined it was a model Cessna," says Cpl. Steven Han of the Surrey RCMP.

The owner of the-ill-fated plane told police engine problems lead to the plane coming down unexpectedly.

The field where the incident occurred is known to draw model-plane enthusiasts and their gadgets.

A woman and her young son called 911 after seeing a plane go down into a field near the Fraser Highway.

The incident lead to a flurry of media reports of a plane crash.
======================================

Bunch of amateurs!
I have heard of this sort of thing before, but it's the first time that I saw it in Canada.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:50 AM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Plane Down!!

Things didn't get this far out of hand but...

A few months ago some of us were flying out at the Lake mead R/C pad. Car pulls up and asked us if we had seen the REAL Bi-plane that was doing all the neat flips and stuff with smoke and where it landed..."we'd like to look at the plane and talk with the pilot" we all kinda chuckled and pointed at mike and his Pitt's S-2. At first they were some what embarrassed... they really though it was real Pitt's they had seen, they did stick around a bit and watch us fly

John
Old 01-16-2006, 07:38 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

LOL I have a few stories where they had the fire department called.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:43 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Last summer at training night we had a helicopter and an ambulance drive slowly past our field. Turns out that a passing driver had seen a model in the air, and then seen smoke on the ground where a local farmer was burning some brush. He put 2 and 2 together to come up with three and thought a plane had gone down. We only learned about it when one of our members, also a member of the local sherrifs dept, told us what had happened.

Brad
Old 01-16-2006, 12:01 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

come on now!!! I think you can tell the dif. between a real Cessna and a model one??? What was the women thinking????? Wake up mc.fly!!!! Good story.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:13 PM
bdavison

Think again.

Down here we regularly fly at military installations. People get used to seeing aircraft flying in the area. Some of these guys are flying HUGE airplanes. If you see it from a distance, and the right perspective, its going to be really hard to tell if its real or not. As an example...

A couple of weeks ago, we were out flying at Spencer Field. There were about 6-7 large scale airplanes up, A real cessna came around the side of the field...for about a min, I thought it was just one of the models until it turned an went off in another direction. Depth perception and perspective, can easily make one appear real.

Not to mention now we have a Stearman biplane here, that has a radial engine in it. Not only is it huge and looks real, but it sounds real too.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:41 PM
mxzsledder

once I was flying a buddy's 1/3 scale cub and we had some coppers show up, they said they had talk to the local airport that had been trying to contact our cub on the radio to see what our intentions were. our club is about 5 miles from the airport i guess they have some good aircraft spotters.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:25 PM
multicasting

We used to fly in Grand Prairie TX, not to far from the flight path of Dallas NAS. It also happenes to be in the path from JRB Ft. Worth. All we typically see are civillian aircraft from two civil airports a few miles away. Once, a group of us were flying when the call of "Full Scale" went out warning us of someone very close to our flying area. It was an F-16 flying very low. I was at about 500 feet or so setting up for a flat spin at the time. The F-16 immediately kicked in AB and climbed. It was VERY loud, and I went into a power dive. The F-16 circled the field about three times as just several miles to the south of us we saw 3 large helicopters, and two distintive helicopters flying. I saw later that night on the news that the Pres was in Dallas, and airtraffic was halted while he was in the air. I guess we didn't get the memo.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:57 PM
SU-13

hey just a question, was this reported at a feild called RCFCBC because if it was, thats where i fly.

in reply to bbbair