Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

nose twisted out of joint

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

nose twisted out of joint

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:35 AM
rlipsett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nose twisted out of joint

I was flying my omp yak on a breezy day. The wind was a direct cross wind from behind me through trees so the air was very broken up and swirling over the runway. My approach was bouncing all over the place and I was trying to land cross runway into the wind. at a slow walking rate it seemed fairly easy except for the hopping up and down. It landed five feet inside the outer edge of the runway but the wind caused it to drop hard on its wheels but upright with the engine still running. This exact moment is when it got very interesting. The front of the airplane cracked and bent over 30 degrees about 1 inch forward of the landing gear which caused the throttle servo to move the engine to 1/3 setting. So picture this a plane heading toward me with an engine half falling off unable to cut the engine because that sudden movement of the throttle popped the ez connector off the servo arm. I had to put the airplane into a spin to shed speed so it wouldn't fly and then I had to takle it with a transmitter in one hand holding the rudder stick full left all on a field that was 2 inches deep in mud. I wish it was video taped because it would have looked hilarious. ps repairs are half completed. a ton of gorilla glue into the foam core and plywood doublers over the affected areas
Old 01-31-2006, 02:13 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: nose twisted out of joint

geez sounds cool
Old 01-31-2006, 10:09 PM
iron eagel

Was this airplane orange by chance?
Sorry to hear about that, so it will live to fly again by the sound of it...
So did you have an crowd to watch???
See you at the meeting on the 14th
Paul
Old 02-04-2006, 10:07 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, you handled it pretty well, all things considered. Nice work... Will you bring it to the meeting? That's GOTTA be a tale that you tell again....

Nice work..

Bob