Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

im never usually this lucky....

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

im never usually this lucky....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 11:52 PM
cabanestrut2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im never usually this lucky....

one sunday a couple of weeks ago i went up to the normal power field to check the wind , too windy there for my little .15 powered jamara extra so a few of us went to the helicopter field for some alternative entertainment. the helicopter field is a small unused field surrounded by trees.
the helicopters were flying there and it felt as though the wind had dropped , so i thought i would fly the extra... big mistake.
i got someone to launch it and flew away smoothly as usual, but as soon as i was above the tree line, it was a different story, this model only weighs about 2 lbs and was getting thrown all over the place, i thought it was going down. i made one very very ugly circuit and throttled down for a landing.
on the downwind leg it was even worse and i had to make a tight turn to avoid the trees. i thought i was in big trouble as i heard ...click click crack crack like a machine gun. she was still flying though and i made the last turn and( now below the tree line) made a perfect three pointer landing to a round of applause. i shut off the engine and went over to collect the plane. there were green streaks all down the right hand wingtip , but no other damage, i couldnt believe how lucky i was, if i had waited a fraction of a second longer on the last turn before that row of trees, my plane would be as good as a pile of sticks!. my knees had turned to jelly after that 20 second flight! the moral: dont let the weather fool you!
Old 12-19-2002, 05:42 PM
rurye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im never usually this lucky....

That was close. Last year over the christmas hol I was just getting back into r/c and I had a ..40 size model called a astrohopper, I had taken a .61 super tigre eng and converted it to a tail dragger. I have a runway (300 ft) on my place so i was flying off it. not bad at all for takeoffs but alittle tight for landings acording to my friend the bigtime r/c guy. Anyway I think it is the two big oak trees off to the south that when the wind is comming out of the north all ya gotta do is come down between the or in front. I was comming around to land , when going behind the big oak tee my plane disappeared from sight. My first clue i was too low. the second clue was the crunching sound I heard. But as I walked over towards it I heard another sound,,, the engine idleing. It landed. in the fork of two branches, bairley even dented the leading edges. I got more dammage to me with the twenty foot ext. ladder getting it down. But my buddy said I was a quliied carrier r/c piolot now. I now make sure on that aproach altitude is my friend.

too lazy for spell check