Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Almost a crash

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Almost a crash

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 12:54 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Almost a crash

I have a new plane up and running. It's the H9 Cap 232 25% with MDS 148.

My enigne is well broken in. I flew it on a Joss Stick for about 2 or 3 gallons before putting it on the Cap.

My muffler came loose in flight and my engine started running like $h*t. I came in for a landing, but the engine wouldn't slow down enough to land. I think the lack of backpressure wasn't allowing the engine to idle down slow enough.

I decided to abort the landing and try to throttle up for another pass. I wasn't getting too much out of the engine at this point. it was gurgling and farting alot. I banked hard left and did a quick circle and got lined up to land again, only in the opposite direction.

I pulled the trim tab on the throttle all the way back to kill the engine. I landed deadstick and rolled to a stop.

I don't think my engine would have pulled the plane all the way around the pattern for another landing attempt. I believe that my quick thinking and gentle thumbs saved my plane from an early death.

One of the guys in the pits said to me that it was a pretty exciting landing. I told him, "You should feal my heartbeat right about now."

I'll bet my heart was pounding away at about 160 beats.

The Cap will fly again another day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	39947_5986.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	24883  
Old 12-11-2002, 04:08 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost a crash

Good save!!! I had a similar experience with my Ace Extra 300. It was at an airshow, and overpowered with a G-62 (the same combo separated the tail in flight once.. the balsa split down the middle, the glue joint didn't fail, the wood did!! It was flown with a G-38 before and worked well). The throttle stuck wide open (flutter city) so I flew it around knife-edge to keep speed down a bit, lined up on the runway and landed on the mains wide open and fed in some down elevator and the prop hit the ground, killed the engine, and coasted to a stop...