Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Giant RC B-29 Crashes into Tree.

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Giant RC B-29 Crashes into Tree.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Paul Grubich
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant RC B-29 Crashes into Tree.

There was a show called Striking Back many years ago. I video taped many of those shows and will be putting some of the more interesting videos up on my site. This show featured 1/5 scale rcwarbirds in mock combat. Sometimes over 12 planes would be in the air at one time. Explosions would go off and fireballs would go high into the air and even small, manned tanks would roam the grounds. An aircraft carrier would launch planes and then get blown up, and at each show a sacrificial Zero would be blown out of the air. It was a great show and the feature attraction was a large 29 foot wingspan, 400 pound B-29 that dropped a simulated A-bomb. The A-bomb blast was really a pit filled with plastic bags containing 500 gallons of gasoline and some dynamite. This blast was enormous and stopped traffic on a nearby freeway for hours. Accidents did happen although this was a professional show put on by qualified pyrotechnic guys and flyers. Some of these accidents I have on tape and will show to you over a period of time. Some of the tapes are old and not so good looking anymore but they will still give you an idea of what it was like back then at the greatest rc show in the world.

The first tape shows the large B-29. This plane had two mishaps in it's short life.. This first tape is the most interesting mishap when this large bomber lost three engines and landed in a tree.

Go to my site www.rcwarbirds.com to view this tape in the Video section.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27041.jpg
Views:	2924
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	452984  
Old 04-30-2006, 09:53 AM
tuwood

Default RE: Giant RC B-29 Crashes into Tree.

Nice video's.

I grew up in Sioux City, IA and always read about the IDA Grove show every year, but never went. Now that I'm onlder and really into R/C I would give anything to see one of those shows now, but it's my understanding they don't have them anymore. [&o]

I see your from Cedar. I used to live in SW Cedar Rapids too.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Paul Grubich

These shows will never happen again. It took alot of money to put one on and the return was not great enough to generate a profit. The man that put on these shows was an enthusiast and a model production company owner. He was very patriotic and did not mind losing money to put on a show of this quality. He hired only the best Hollywood pyro guys and selected the best rc flyers. The equipment was all made in house and featured real miniture manned tanks and other neat items. The show was put on like a play and timed to the minute. We had to take off at the exact time required and fly a certain course and routine.

There is no way anyone will put on a show this large and expensive again without realizing profit, so as you can see it was once in a life time event. I will try to get up as many videos as I can but it will take time to get them all sorted and copied to pc and edited and uploaded. I have clips of Zeros exploding into little bits, two large B-25's having a midair, another B-29 crash and other interesting scenes.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Empennage Gunner
My Feedback: (11)

Post them Paul! I've been waiting to see something from these shows for years...Thanks for sharing! ~ Wade
Old 04-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Flak

"Bandits Over Kansas" May 27, 2006 at Hillsdale, KS. See our flyer in the "Events" section here on RCU. CAF Fly Over, Military Vehicles, Tom Cook Jet Demo. A Fun time for all. Bring your Warbirds and Scale Aircraft and fly with us.

"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 04-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

I was lucky enough to see the airshow at Ida Grove twice, and once after they moved it to Ankeny. The show in Ida Grove was the reason I'm infected with this addiction to RC today
Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just as a side note Both carriers from the striking back show were deep sixed over the last couple days...they are no more ......
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Paul Grubich

That is interesting news, thanks. Did you get any pictures?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:19 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No, I looked over and the japanese carrier was gone one day, and both the next, or ..possibly they were pushed over..or lieing behind the hills.. but no longer standing...I have however been ALL over and through both of them..and they are WAY bigger than anyone would gues from watching the show.....they are unreal..or were. I think you could park three compact cars on the deck of the american carrier, and heaven knows the way it was built it would hold them..
Old 05-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Paul Grubich

I have some pictures, if I can find them, of the carriers from behind. I was back there many times looking for my spent rockets from the P-51. They were very large, as you know, and one was on rails and it would come out from behind the mountain and catapalt planes off.

I hope to find those pictures for my full report on this event.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there any way you can make these videos "right click and save as"? I have tried two different times to watch the B-29 and it just says "loading" forever.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Paul Grubich

I have noticed that with the videos I put on YouTube. They seem to stick sometimes and I have to refresh the page to get them to work. You might have noticed the new video is by another service and seems to work better and look clearer. Try the Zero video and see if that sticks for you and let me know.

This is important to get the correct service that works because I will be uploading many more videos of Striking Back and finally the main video that shows the complet war with interesting extras that will run about 10 or 15 minutes.

Paul
Old 05-03-2006, 03:36 AM
smudgersmiff

If you goto "youtube" it says it is a private video!!!

Could that be a cause for the problem ?

Jeff
Old 05-03-2006, 07:30 AM
ehfleming
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Paul,

I can't get the B-29 video to run, also. [] The Corsair video is great, and the montage of the air show is nothing short of spectacular. I wish. I could have seen these shows over the years, so please post all the video you can. I hope the problem of the video sticking can be worked out
Old 05-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Paul Grubich

I will change the B-29 video to the new sevice today. Thanks for your support guys. More videos coming soon of P-38 crash on runway with Mustang, Byron B-25 midair, another B29 crash and more.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Paul Grubich

I just now changed the B-29 crash video over to the new service and it looks much crisper and more detailed. You can also download the original video in a larger fomat and better resolution by using the links you see after viewing the small version on my page.

Let me know if this new service works better without sticking.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul, the VEOH service worked for me just fine. Thanks for making the change!
Old 05-04-2006, 06:53 AM
ehfleming
My Feedback: (5)

Paul,

Sad...but good video. Thanks
Old 05-04-2006, 07:57 AM
Paul Grubich

Not to sad because the plane was hardly damaged. Next year it flew again but had a small dent in the fiberglass fuse, not from the crash but from the cherry picker that extracted it from the tree!
Old 05-04-2006, 08:28 AM
acobra
My Feedback: (40)

Paul:
Great Stuff! I was at Ankeny in 95 (I think) at one of the last ones, Delmar Benjamin was also there with the Gee Bee. The R/C show and the Tora Tora Tora routine AWESOME!.
Since you have a bunch of video's would you happen to have one of my "Wagner Twin Cub" in flight? (I lost it there when a wing folded) I never got any video of it in flight and have been trying to find someone who might have something for years.
Frank
Old 05-24-2006, 06:51 AM
kusunokimasahige

Hiya Paul, say do you have any contact details of the Pyrotechnicians which did the show? and/or pilots?

I am trying to set up a scaled down display like that here in Europe, combined with WWII re enactment.

Since real airplanes are so xpensive to get, additional RC displays and a small show like that might be the idea for USAAF displays.

I myself work in motion pictures too, but i would like to know more about the technique they used.

best wishes,

Kusunokimasahige
Old 05-24-2006, 07:54 AM
Paul Grubich

Sorry, lost contact with most of the crew over the years.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 PM
crvarvaro

Anyone serious about a rc B-29, check out this page:
[link]http://www.aviationtrivia.info/rc%20airplane/RC-B-29.php[/link]
Old 04-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Johnnie Red

Well.....It is sad to realize that from the time that Byron Godbersen lost his battle to cancer, R/C modelism lost its best companion....Definately his show was the best R/C show ever.....God bless his soul!!

Keep the spirit up, at least we have something to remember...