Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Twist eating trees

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Twist eating trees

Old 05-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Kerberos32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist eating trees

Well, it had to happen sooner or later, its a fact of life with this hobby. I've never so much as nicked a prop or scraped a wingtip since I started flying in Feb. I took the day off work today to take advantage of a couldless day and headed up to the field. On my second flight I was doing cuban 8s, and thought I was higher and closer in than I actually was. The field I fly at is surrounded by very hungry plane eating trees (aeroplanus digestus horribilus - native to RC fields). As I came down from the top of the half loop, the plane disappared behind the aforementioned trees. I pulled back more but it was too late - one intact Twist was spit out the other side like a wood through a chipper. The wing stayed in the tree, and the fuselage with the engine attached by only the push rod made a great sound as it impacted the parking lot. The battery pack was found 50ft away.

All the electronics survived and I'm actually impressed how much of the plane did survive. The engine (OS .46 FX) seems fine with the exception of a chipped fin on the cylinder head, and the bit that attached the needle valve to the backplate.

Disappointing as I only maidened the twist two weeks ago, but thats what happens. Now I can have the fun of picking another plane and maidening that too!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70479.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	468737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36954.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	468738  
Old 05-30-2006, 09:13 PM
skiman762

Default RE: Twist eating trees

That will buff right out
Do you have it back together yet?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:16 PM
clayton_crowder

i like how u said it.thats how it goes and u shrugged it off.i see that most of the hardcore rc flyers that hardly never wreck say the same thing u do.i havent made it to that hardcore stage yet but maybe one day.when i have a bad wreck like that my chin goes down and stays down for a few days.[&o]
Old 05-31-2006, 12:31 AM
Kerberos32

Well, its alot easier to shrug it off when I didnt have alot invested in the plane, and I handn't grown attached to it yet. I am disappointed - it was my first fun plane after my trainer, and I hate doing something dumb like that, but there's nothing I can do about it now, and nothing was damaged (other than the plane itself) except a little bruised pride. There was guy at the field who was maidening his tiger 60 after working on it for a year, with a beautiful custom laser cut covering. He put it into the same trees on the maiden. It would be alot harder to get over that.

The Twist was $100 and 15 or so hours assembling it. I've already got more than that back in the enjoyment of flying it.

It's back to the LT-40 for now I guess.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:25 AM
Captain Ducman
My Feedback: (11)

very hungry tree eating planes
If thats a tree eating plane, I'd like to see the tree.

You have a great attitude, Take care.

Duc
Old 05-31-2006, 06:17 AM
skiman762

That plane could be back in the air in a couple of evenings
unless the wing is total mush but it looks like just some leading edge damage and a touch on the aileron to me
the fuselage is the easiest to fix on a twist it's all straight cuts
I don't concider myself hardcore but I have learned to repair them it's really not that hard so start with this plane
trust me you'll find a new part of the hobby that is more rewarding then putting a new plane together and that is putting one back in the air that
has had battle damage
Monday I dumped one of my 3d planes into ground from a low level hover, tore the engine off and trashed the wing tip it will be in the air this weekend.
so keep your chin up and get the glue out
Old 05-31-2006, 12:22 PM
skiman762

If your dead set on just getting another plane you might try one of the high wing funflys
I have a modeltech magic 3d it 's way more foregiving then the twist and a real blast to fly
Old 05-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Kerberos32

ORIGINAL: skiman762

That plane could be back in the air in a couple of evenings
I agree that the Twist could be repaired - by someone with the space, skill and time. I live in a small townhouse, so don't really have space, I've never built or rebuilt a plane, and the free time I have (saturday mornings) I'd much rather spend flying. One day I'll have the space and time to learn about building, I very much want to build a Sig Somethin' Extra, but that will be a year or so down the road. For the cost of the Twist, ($120) its worth my time and money to just replace it - I have lots of spare bits now!

ORIGINAL: skiman762

If your dead set on just getting another plane you might try one of the high wing funflys
I have a modeltech magic 3d it 's way more foregiving then the twist and a real blast to fly
There are a couple of Magics at my field, I agree they are cool little planes, but I really liked the Twist. I had no problem flying it - it was not that I lost control of it, It was just not where I thought it was, and unfortunately, they are not made to fly through trees. (Maybe I'll put sharp steel edges on all the leading edges of my next plane, so that it's through-tree performace will be better.)

While I'm probably going to get another Twist, I'm also eyeing the Funtana 40 unfortunately its also $150 more.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:59 PM
skiman762

I know what you mean it's hard to judge how close you are
well stick the old one in the closet maybe you'll be looking for something to do this winter
you really don't need lots of room a folding table and a plastic box for you goodies fit right under the bed
I sure you can borrow what you need for tools form someone at the club too
I sure wasn't meaning to make light of you losing your plane but it's just that you kinda have too get past it because it's going to happen from time to time
I still get a sinking feeling as I walk up to the wreakage hoping it can be repaired
Old 06-05-2006, 10:53 AM
jacklegchris

This twist is on It's 3rd life. I too diddn't have much space to rebuild and did not have the first clue about it. It just sorta came naturaly as I started to rebuild. [img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73007.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	472393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83873.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	472394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25204.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	472395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32381.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	472396  
Old 06-05-2006, 07:52 PM
tony_232

if youre not crashing youre not flying lol besides its only a very hard landing lol