Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Two crashes in a day: Cub & Tribute *Pics*

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Two crashes in a day: Cub & Tribute *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 03:16 PM
Spitfire222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two crashes in a day: Cub & Tribute *Pics*

Well, I was hoping I wouldnt have to post in this forum anytime soon...

Two weeks ago, I finished my sophomore year of college and moved back home. That weekend, there was a fun-fly at one of the nearby clubs. So, I eagerly headed out to fly again since it had been so long. I packed my Great Planes .40 Cub and E-Flite Tribute, my only airworthy planes at the moment. Unfortunately, the wind was blowing pretty strongly with ominous looking clouds coming and going.
I finally worked up the courage to take off after some other people flew. I was a bit rusty with the Cub, but it was all coming back. I try to stay current with my skills by flying the Tribute at the local park whenever I can.
After flying for a good 10 min, I shot a landing approach and landed her almost perfectly, a beautiful greaser. Knowing that I still had at least another 10 min of fuel, and seeing that I had the entire sky to myself, I said to myself those dreaded words: "Ok, one more flight..." Bad idea...

I took off again and was doing fine until my second landing approach. The wind started blowing the plane towards the pits and spectators. I tried to correct with rudder to keep the plane over the runway. By now, the Cub was losing altitude and still heading for the pits. I have to admit I must have panicked because I slammed full throttle and resorted to using the ailerons and going to head out for another try. I never got it: the Cub stalled (tip stall?) from about 25 ft and went straight in, nose first. The right wing was sliced when it hit a pilot station (visible in the 1st picture). Most of the damage was done to the wing, but the firewall is caved in a bit, the APC prop was cut cleanly on each end (my new invention: the 3 x 6 prop ), and I have a feeling the engine suffered internal damage/bent parts.

Neadless to say, I didnt fly the Tribute. However, it met its demise in a much less honorable way. On the way home some person jumped out in front of me and I slammed on the brakes. With all the back seats of the station wagon folded down, this resulted in my 20+ lb field box to come sliding forward and crushing my Tribute against the back of the front passenger seat. [:@] I had to pull over; I couldnt drive when that angry....

Lots of lessons learned from that day, but now I'm without any flyable planes, though I have another that is 99% finished and I should maiden it soon. Yes, all of it was my fault. I shouldn't have let my over-eagerness to fly trump common sense not to fly in wind thats too strong for my skill level, and considering I hadnt flown the Cub in so long. And next time, I will pack the car with my planes with better care....

According to my flying buddies, the Cub is repairable; I'll let you guys decide for yourself! The Tribute is rather easily repairable, and I will get to it once I finish my other plane. One project at a time...

Will someone please tell me why the heck I'm grinning like an idiot in the 1st pic?!? Enjoy the pics!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24325.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	469458   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45089.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	469459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98279.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	469460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68464.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	469461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58749.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	469462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo89570.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	469463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj89305.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	469464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ut65744.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	469465  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca52400.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	469466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv94103.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	469467  
Old 05-31-2006, 04:26 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: Two crashes in a day: Cub & Tribute *Pics*

Will someone please tell me why the heck I'm grinning like an idiot in the 1st pic?!? Enjoy the pics!
LOL IT did not sink in yet. Sorry for your crash I mean crashes.[]
Old 05-31-2006, 04:40 PM
joesabido

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vincent... did you learn your lesson?

Never stop for pedestrians

Joseph
Old 06-01-2006, 02:19 PM
dingo9882

This might help you out with keeping the field box in place. I am in college too so I try whatever I can to not have to spend any more money then I have to on things like this to happen in my car. I have to fold down the seats of my Taurus and stick my planes through the damn back seat and everything. When I put the field box in I actually bungie cord it in by rapping it around the field box and hooking it in these small hooks in my car by the trunk. I started doing this because I did something really stupid one time. I had gotten to my field, unlocked the gate, and must have opened my trunk without knowing. As I drive down the parking lot that is verybumby, the trunk opens all the way, my transmitter flyies out and breaks the gimble. (REAL stupid thing that happend). Now I do this and it holds up really good. And the box weighs close to 40 or 50 pounds with fuel and everything in it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44128.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	469959  
Old 06-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Spitfire222

Thanks for the comments guys.
Joe, dont worry it wont happen again! [>:]

Dingo, great idea! Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try it out.

The Cub has had a good running over the past few years. I'll admit it wasnt the best plane since I built it when I was around 14 or 15. I'm itching for a new plane...