Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

So there I was, standing over my plane.......

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

So there I was, standing over my plane.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Daryl298

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So there I was, standing over my plane.......

So there I was, standing over my plane in pieces thinking how much of an idiot I am. I have been flying for many years; you would think that I would have been more careful...NOPE.

Ok, let me digress. I saw a good deal for a plane on ebay. Nice little 90 size sport plane. It was a good deal so I bid, and won it. So it finally gets shipped to my house and I take it to my workshop and get to work.

It came complete with all the servos, just needed to install my Rec and I was ready…. SO THE AD SAID. So I did. Put my Rec in and did a ground trim. And put it away.

A nice Sunday rolled around. Loaded up my planes and when to the field. Instead of flying one of my favorite planes I started with my new sport plane. Fueled it up, did a range check, and as I was walking back to the plane I thought I saw the right aileron flutter. But I thought to my self (weird could have been the wind.) I moved the ailerons they responded so I continued.

Next fired up the SuperTiger90, and it purred. So I raised my antenna, un-hooked my plane from my safety strap and taxied onto the runway.

I was ready; throttle full, the plane was moving!! It was up and took my first bank. I started to trim it out and a spin came out of no where....... I tried to recover but the ailerons did not seem to pull. Well, long story short SLAM!!! Confetti!

I was pissed, but was scratching my head, on what I did.

I took the plane home, luckily the engine and radio equipment survived. So I started taking the radio out piece by piece and reassembling out of the plane. As I got to the right aileron I noticed that it had a splice in the wire that was covered with duct tape. (hmmm that is odd)

Well I turned on the radio, and all the servos seemed to work just fine.......UNTILL I touched the duct tape splice then all the servos wigged out. And HERE IS MY SIGN....

This is the second used plane on EBAY that I have been burned on.

Just thought I would share.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98018.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	484149  
Old 06-28-2006, 09:13 AM
CrashPro
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: So there I was, standing over my plane.......

but....but....duct tape fixes EVERYTHING.....it had to be something ELSE
Old 06-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Dr1Driver

Yea, duct tape CAN'T cause a crash!!! Seriously, I check EVERYTHING about a plane someone else has built, no matter WHAT they say. Sorry for your loss.

Several years ago, we had a guy come out to the field with a new plane he'd bought at a swap shop. An instructor checked it out and test flew it. The engine ran well, and it flew good until final. Suddenly, about halfway to the runway, it did a violent snap and crashed, doing major damage. During the post mortem, I was holding the TX. Everything was working normally until I almost dropped the TX and grabbed it tightly. Suddenly, all the servos went ape!!! I released my tight grip on the TX and everything returned to normal. Further investigation discovered a broken circuit board that didn't show up until it was flexed by a tight grip on the TX case. The radio worked well until the instructor tightened his grip on final, then the crack opened up several traces on the board. WACKO!!!

Vuja de - This crap ain't NEVER happened before! LOL!

Dr.1
Old 06-28-2006, 02:57 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

One more reason to build your own planes.
Apparently the worlds worst modelers hang out on ebay just waiting to pawn their hackjobs on some unsuspecting person.

I wont buy from ebay anymore. Never got one single thing off there that was "as advertised".
RCU marketplace is far better.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Dr1Driver

bdavison,

I've had good luck on eBay. As always, though, caveat emptor.

Dr.1
Old 06-28-2006, 03:44 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote goes for the RC Marketplace!!!!

I may be a bit biased though
Old 06-29-2006, 10:38 AM
shag555

Wha'd you give for it???
Old 06-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Liberator

I'm a little confused. How were you burned? Kind of seems that it is up to you to check things out to make sure that everything is kosher. Was that splice buried somewhere? ie; the plane had to come apart so you could see that it was there?
shrug, sorry you lost the plane.

I always pull all the gear and make sure that there are no home repair jobs lurking somewhere. I actually took a plane back to a place because as I checked the plane out I discovered that the hinges had never been ca'd in, the horizontal stab was glued in off kilter, the engine had a funky little knock in it that was only present when you tried to start it, flipping the prop over did not show the problem, among a few other things.

It would have flown great, for about as long as your did...maybe.

Its good to be cautious.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:36 PM
swasey1982

Daryl im sorry to hear about your plane, ductape you say, not a very good material to cover splicing, well guys seems that the seller of this plane said it was ready to fly, just put your engine and radio in and bamm, things like this happen cause we trust in people, just dont let this get you down, i feel that the seller should have told you about that servo, and next time take a little time to check all the wires, not flaming, but this really helps your plane survive, BTW what plane is that, seems like a Cap.

Swasey[8D]