Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Trash Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Trash Planes

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Iturnright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trash Planes

Has anyone else ever noticed the effect when someone puts or finds an airplane in the trash? There have been a few occasions I have seen half the people at the field gather around a trash can plane. Its hilarious really.

My favorite example is when a micro ultra stick crashed, with a shattered fuse up to the wing and a damaged wing, it was put in the trash. Later that morning, a guy took it out, and went home with it. The very next week, he came out with a frankenstein plane, with a bluecor foam front fuselage and wing, and an Ultra Stick tail section.

And just this week, there were a few tiny pieces of a kantana in the trash, and everyone still took a look at it, including me!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Trash Planes

Iturnright,
I once took a "Trashed" patriot home. Wing broken in half, fuse demolished back to the cockpit. I took it back to the field two weeks later totally repaired. She looked great. A gentleman exclaimed, "I crashed a Patriot just like that one two weeks ago. When I asked what he did with it he said, "I threw it in the dumpster as the wing was broken in to and the fuse was badly damaged. I asked if he still had the engine and electronics. He said he did. I said, "Here's your plane". He was amazed and asked what he owed me for the rebuild. I told him not to crash it agian and no payment was needed. I also once rebuilt a a badky crashed Avistar at the field in 40 minutes. Everyone said to Trash" it. I said, "No, it's repairable. In 40 minutes time I taxied the Avistar onto the runway and took off. I handed the transmitter back to the pilot and told him not to crash it again. I believe Trash/Dumpster planes are a challenge to bring back what was believed to be lost forever, not to mention a challenge to the avid builder.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:38 AM
rocknrube
My Feedback: (7)

I know what you mean about repairing planes. I just trashed my Nexstar last night !!!!! I am sad there was nothing left of it!!! Well, maybe some of the tail was still salvagable. Everything was mashed with the plane from nose to wing section. The engine was heavily damaged with case damaged, crankshaft bent like an "S" shape, muffler was smashed to pieces.

I was coming in for a landing and it was getting dusk outside. I lost my orientation of the plane's wings and also had the throttle reduced in preparation to land, anyhow the plane started to bob up and down and then went in a climb of some sort and then flipped over. I quickly applied throttle to try and bring it out of her dive at about 30 feet and it was of no use it kept going straight into the ground nose first and then SHCMUCK!!!!

The guys that were over by that area said it flipped over on it back and and was too close to the ground to effect a pull out of the dive. Anyhow, lesson learned I will never reduce the throttle on turning to coming into land. I will wait until I am lined up with runway and then on approach will lower speed and preapre to land. But what a sad feeling. I just started to have fun with the plane doing loops and barrels rolls and such and then this had to happen as a result of pilot error. Really SUCKS!

I have salvaged most of what I can and I don't think I can repair this. I wish I took a picture to show. Of all places to nose dive also the pavement! Grass on both sides everywhere within 5 feet!!! Really sucks!

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42075.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	505038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65811.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	505039  
Old 08-10-2006, 07:45 AM
dshemelrick

I always figured that it was a challenge to rebuild what my mistake made me crash, but always rebuild better and modify everthing i didnt like about it,i have a staudaucher that is totally rebuilt and flies better than when new,and pieces in a trash can still might be useable to some one you never know
Old 08-11-2006, 11:28 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rocknrube

I know what you mean about repairing planes. I just trashed my Nexstar last night !!!!! I am sad there was nothing left of it!!! Well, maybe some of the tail was still salvagable. Everything was mashed with the plane from nose to wing section. The engine was heavily damaged with case damaged, crankshaft bent like an "S" shape, muffler was smashed to pieces.

I was coming in for a landing and it was getting dusk outside. I lost my orientation of the plane's wings and also had the throttle reduced in preparation to land, anyhow the plane started to bob up and down and then went in a climb of some sort and then flipped over. I quickly applied throttle to try and bring it out of her dive at about 30 feet and it was of no use it kept going straight into the ground nose first and then SHCMUCK!!!!

The guys that were over by that area said it flipped over on it back and and was too close to the ground to effect a pull out of the dive. Anyhow, lesson learned I will never reduce the throttle on turning to coming into land. I will wait until I am lined up with runway and then on approach will lower speed and preapre to land. But what a sad feeling. I just started to have fun with the plane doing loops and barrels rolls and such and then this had to happen as a result of pilot error. Really SUCKS!

I have salvaged most of what I can and I don't think I can repair this. I wish I took a picture to show. Of all places to nose dive also the pavement! Grass on both sides everywhere within 5 feet!!! Really sucks!

[img][/img]
How are you going to carry power until on final with a dead stick landing? There is nothing wrong with reducing power at any point in the approach (or before) as long as proper airspeed is maintained. THIS is what needs to be learned. You apparently got too slow and stalled because you failed to add power back in time.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:20 PM
APIA

Half of my hangar is dumpster recovered/saved airplanes. It is surprising to me the minimal amount of damage that is found when the covering is removed...
Old 08-11-2006, 06:28 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Years ago I went to the field and their was a slab sided zero busted in the garbage..I found out Mr. X had crashed it. MrX had paid someone to build it for him, and crashed it first day out.

I used to build from kits and scratch build alot.. so I put a round firewall on it. and turned it into a much nicer looking zero. I covered it with super coverite, painted it, added panel lines, weathering, even highlights.. it looked great.

As I am thankfully a more prolific builder than crasher, I decided to hang it up for sale at the local hobby shop..I went in about two days later and an employee told me MrX had bought it..I said you mean someone bought MrX's zero? he said "What? that was Mrx's plane before he crashed it?' I said yep.....thats when I realized I has sold MrX back the same zero for a $100 more than it cost him the first time, ha ha, it was worth it though..it looked great. I am not sure anyone ever told him though!
Old 08-16-2006, 07:54 PM
ZeppelinIII

The duraplane was toast, I didn't even try. But the other thing started life as an electric, and when I fished it out of the trash showed more than a little wear and tear. I patched it up, turned it into a glow plane, and it flies suprisingly well...far better than it looks at least :-) that plus I don't have any real attachment to it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25793.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	508359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22983.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	508360   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27099.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	508361  
Old 08-24-2006, 09:23 PM
heli-kid

i found a .46 size yak in the trash with just a broken motor mount
Old 08-25-2006, 03:35 PM
rangerstl

Got to the field just as a guy dumped a Hangar 9 Cessna 182 due to a stall and snap on turn-to-final. (swears he had nothing to do with it).

Had the plane on the ground in front of him, maybe a 15 minute repair job. Damage minor in my opinion. JUMPED UP IN THE AIR AND STOMPED THE FUSELAGE and kicked it to pieces out of childish anger.

I think the word "NO!" escaped my mouth just as he landed on it.

What a waste. Somebody with a similar airplane took the wing for a spare (just had the right hand center-to-outer wing splice broken). Had that airplane hit the trash can, 5 people would have been fighting over it, including me.

Very few crashed planes even make it to the trash at my field.

Most humerous story was a guy who just liked to fix airplanes. Took a guy's crash and told him "I'll fix it for you". Sam kept all the receipts for little odds and ends he bought to complete the project stuffed in the fuselage. 2 weeks later he saw the guy, handed him the plane and said "The receipts for all the stuff I bought are in the fuselage." Guy says "Thanks" and WALKS AWAY! Never paid him the $25 for parts.

N
Old 08-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Gullwing72

A buddy nosed in a mini ultra stick, he took out the electronics and was about to run over it with his car when I stopped him. I took the not so damaged plane home and within 3 days it was back into the air as good as new. It is still going strong after 50 plus post-crash flights............GW
Old 08-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

A buddy of my that is an excellent pilot was flying his OMP Katana V2 70. He had it about 5ft off the deck hovering and yelled over at me to come and fly his plane to see how I liked it. As I walked over the motor stumbled and died. The plane nosed in on the asphalt. It damaged the fuse and the right wing. I told him it didn't look so bad and could be repaired in a couple of days. He took it over to the shelter and begun taking the engine and servos off of it. I asked him what he was doing and he said he didn't have time to repair it because he was working out of town so he was just going to trash it. I told him to throw it in my trailer and I would see what I could do with it. The next weekend we were out at the field and I pulled the Katana out of my trailer and walked over and put it in his trailer. When he was finished flying he noticed the plane sitting there and came over to inspect it. I asked him what he thought and he said I that I had a really nice plane for learning and practicing 3D with. I told him that I had repaired it for him. He said no it is your plane now. I could believe it. I got a $200 arf for free just for a couple nights work.
The plane flies great and has helped me hone my 3D skills this summer.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Purple Bird
My Feedback: (24)

Rush 7...that is a very cool story. Now start crankin' out some 3D!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Steve Landron

I agree, you should definitely rebuild the planes. I still have my first generation Eagle 63, bought and crashed many times since 1983, hanging in my garage.

I guess not everyone has the patience to do the rebuilds and why there is such a great market for ARF's.

Steve
Old 11-02-2006, 05:58 PM
LANNYBOB

damn flak your pretty cool
Old 11-02-2006, 10:56 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess that is the 'disposable and cheap ARF' attitude.....wish we had a trash barrel at our field!

I was given a Sig Somethin Extra after the guy who built it got tired of repairing it. I repaired it and did some mods. Later, I had a midair with another Somethin Extra and repaired that. I stalled it on final one evening when it got dark in about 10 seconds and I couldn't see the plane. Repaired the rudder on that one. Anyway, I still fly it from time to time. It looks ugly with Monokote, Ultracote, and Econokote covering.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:36 PM
JPGale

ORIGINAL: Steve Landron

I agree, you should definitely rebuild the planes. I still have my first generation Eagle 63, bought and crashed many times since 1983, hanging in my garage.

I guess not everyone has the patience to do the rebuilds and why there is such a great market for ARF's.

Steve
I crashed my Alpha (not bad) just after soloing, it was an easy fix, I was looking forward to getting home after work and getting some more of the repair done, I would for sure repair any plane that I could.

Racing should be good for that

James
Old 11-05-2006, 07:58 AM
bbbair

About a year ago we had another thread on Trash AC.

However, it featured a fellow throwing away a damaged AC, a starving student picked it up and repaired it - the next week the original owner Wanted it BACK, and I do mean NOW! No thank yous for the repairs, no offer of reimbursment for time and materials just a big loud "GIMME back my Plane!" [&o][:'(]

It's really sad to hear that kind of story - I definately prefer the experiances that you chaps have told here.

It just maintains your faith in the modeling brotherhood.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:54 AM
BUDMAN27

One mans trash is another,s treasure.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Pilots12

Did he end up giving it back? I sure wouldnt of if he threw it in the trash.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:15 PM
andrew66

i trashed a plane that probably....well...coulda been easily fixed with some time, but i was moving 2 provinces away in the next week, and intended on swapping the gear out into another plane right away. when i threw that one in the "trash" if anyone had taken it, it would have been "theirs to keep". I dont chase bums down the street, b/c they took something i threw away.
If i fixed something that someone threw away and they demanded it back, they would either have to pay for the rebuild or pry it from my cold dead hands.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

I once pulled a crashed P-40 out of the trash. The fuse was damaged back to the wing, but nothing too bad. Rebuilt it, and sold it later that year. Turned a profit off a plane I found.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:43 PM
stinger40

At our field, we have an area where modelers give up on their planes, and put them in this area. Whoever thought they could fix it and fly it, well, they took it home. By the end of the day, the models were taken up by the original owners, or put in the shed for another time, or even some burned, if reason being no way to repair. The area is right by the frequency board. I was pulling my channel to fly my E-Flite Yak, when I noticed an airplane sitting on the ground. The plane was an Extreme Flight Yak. It was the little, transparent, electric one. I picked it up, and The wing was broken slightly, the fuse was damaged, and Monokote was split all down the fuse. Thrilled with my "new" Yak, I put it in the trailer and took it home. I have taken only a week to repair it, and put electronics in it. I brought it to the field one week later and flew it. It flew like a dream. The knife edge was perfect, and everything was great. Everyone kept complementing me on my new Yak. I just smiled. Every time someone said that I had a nice Yak, I just said," Yeah, not bad for a Trasher, huh?" Everyone looked at me, puzzled.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:15 PM
bbbair

I found the earlier thread on this topic.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...tm.htm#1179295

Some people ... [&o]
Old 11-07-2006, 12:05 AM
AGR413
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Flak

Iturnright,
I once took a "Trashed" patriot home. Wing broken in half, fuse demolished back to the cockpit. I took it back to the field two weeks later totally repaired. She looked great. A gentleman exclaimed, "I crashed a Patriot just like that one two weeks ago. When I asked what he did with it he said, "I threw it in the dumpster as the wing was broken in to and the fuse was badly damaged. I asked if he still had the engine and electronics. He said he did. I said, "Here's your plane". He was amazed and asked what he owed me for the rebuild. I told him not to crash it agian and no payment was needed. I also once rebuilt a a badky crashed Avistar at the field in 40 minutes. Everyone said to Trash" it. I said, "No, it's repairable. In 40 minutes time I taxied the Avistar onto the runway and took off. I handed the transmitter back to the pilot and told him not to crash it again. I believe Trash/Dumpster planes are a challenge to bring back what was believed to be lost forever, not to mention a challenge to the avid builder.
This is cool....this is what I love about this hobby. Its people like you that give this hobby its good name. Just because you posted this and I think it is so noble I am going to do the same. I think we should all pass it along.

When I started in this hobby many people gave me "slightly" damaged planes that they did not want to rebuild. Although many of them were actually beyond my skill level I rebuilt them, flew them, crashed them and rebuilt them until they were really trash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.