Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Crashed on maiden, and now I'm drinking...

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Crashed on maiden, and now I'm drinking...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Bosch232
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed on maiden, and now I'm drinking...

Yeah, I'm on my third (strong) margarita.
So what..?
Yoo gotta problum wid dat, pal...?

Goldberg Extra 330 77" ARF with a 40cc gas motor.
We're not talking chump change here, friend and neighbors.

You ever have a plane that just seems to have bad karma from the moment you open the box for the first time when it arrives in the mail?
This plane was that way for me. It was one thing, and then another, and then another. And finally after TWO MONTHS I maidened it today.

I got a range check of 200 ft. Fine.
All batts fully charged. Fine.
Engine transitions great. Fine.
CG machine says a bit nose heavy. Not fine, but better than tail heavy.
That's the short version. Trust me, I attempted everything for weeks and weeks to help this plane be successful.

Throttle up and roll down the grass.
Takes a long to get up and off, but up it went.
Needed some up trim, ok.

Flew exactly three circuits at the field and then tried one simple hammerhead.
The engine quit.
Knowing I'd come in hot, I chose to be an idiot and attempt to make one circle to bleed altitude before dead sticking in.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Classic tip stall on final with full up elevator.

Fuselage smashed.
Aluminum wing tube, broken.
40cc engine mounting tabs, broken.
The fuse is a total loss, the wings are fine.
Jury's still out on the engine.

Every freakin' thing was new in this plane.
I'm talkin' new Fut 3305's, new batts, new engine, receiver... everything.
Some things salvageable, others not.

Right now I'm just really mad and really buzzed.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Now where's that bottle of triple sec....
Old 08-19-2006, 08:28 PM
ktaylor

Default RE: Crashed on maiden, and now I'm drinking...

Ouch,, major bummer.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:31 PM
LANNYBOB

been there and done that, i built a cap 232 to perfection and what happened? it banked to the left and stayed there. i hate thie crap sometimes it really chaps my butt. i choose whiskey to calm down.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:31 PM
gunfighterII

Bosch 232,
I like strawberry one's myself. see you tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:01 PM
moto-x

I feel your pain dude. I have a Hangar 9 P-47d-60 Thunderbolt. Took time to detail to scale with trim panels and all. I had programed a three position switch for landing gear and flaps. One click gear,second click flaps. I had to use two channels to have flaps and alirons and each channel had to be assigned norm or rev. Well,the p-47 does not have true flaps so I was using the alirons for flaps. I had everything set up right. I checked and double checked everything. I had talk with one of the veteran fliers and was told not to use alirons as flaps. He said it would tip stall to easy. So, the night before maiden I go in to program and delete flap function. Well just so happens that reversed my alirons. I know I should have triple checked and didn't. Well you must know where this is going. Maiden flight was very short. Although its repairable it made me sick as hell.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:09 PM
TSuppa
My Feedback: (3)

Here are a couple of pics of the doomed flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78978.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	509837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20695.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	509838  
Old 08-20-2006, 08:34 AM
Bosch232

You gotta hand it to Suppa, he caught the exact moment where I knew it was a bad day.
I mean, that photo is THE EXACT moment in time where I realized it was a done deal.

All that's missing are the buzzards circling overhead.
My signature line captures that photo perfectly.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Bosch232

On the plus side, two good things came from this:

1. My wife was a great sport, and decided to join me last night in my drinking binge, and we proceeded to make some "excellent" entries into our "personal log book", if you will. More than one, I might add. [X(]

2. I showed the broken airplane to my boy this morning, and (in classic 3 yr old pragmaticism) he said, "We'll just have to get anodder one later".

Life isn't so bad after all.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Flak

Bosch232,
Well....Back to square one. Don't use a bad experience to drink; drink for the benefit of enlightenment and the joy of what you have overcome. Most of all drink what you like best.
I love Jose Quervo pre-mixed margueritas. However, I prefer Jeremiah Weed 100 proof bourbon liquor on the rocks after being in the freezer overnight. . Goes down smooth as silk, then awakens like a P-38 at full throttle! Back to your doomed plane. Move on to the next one...maybe a Warbird? Good luck.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Loubud

Something like this calls for serious power drinking. Gin, vodka, scotch, keg, whatever it takes.
And ya gotta love that 3 year old.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:05 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Feel your pain BRO... I was busy last yr and I was going to have one of my good friends build a GP STUKA for me and give him an engine in exchange for the build. Well I was at the hobby shop and another friend said he really needed that engine and would build the plane for me... Was against my better judgement but didn't want to hurt his feeling so said yea ok!!! Any how to make it a short story... Maiden flight... Plane flys great all is well... Checked everything out... Getting ready for a landing... Turn down the flaps... Coming in... See one of the flaps rip out... plane goes into a spin.... Totalled... Lesson learned build my own planes... end of a story. Can't get the GP Stuka any more.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:55 PM
flynte

ORIGINAL: Bosch232

On the plus side, two good things came from this:

1. My wife was a great sport, and decided to join me last night in my drinking binge, and we proceeded to make some "excellent" entries into our "personal log book", if you will. More than one, I might add. [X(]

2. I showed the broken airplane to my boy this morning, and (in classic 3 yr old pragmaticism) he said, "We'll just have to get anodder one later".

Life isn't so bad after all.
WOW!! Usually a persons in the dog house for spending to much time building. And if all is good, you get back in after they see the final product. BUT when you get fly time and bring them home and they see it in pieces when you get back you almost get instantly curbed because they know your back building again.

flynte
Old 08-29-2006, 07:35 AM
straitnate14
My Feedback: (2)

did she ask how much it cost? because from what i hear (only 17) the money when you crash is usualy the first thing out of there mouth
Old 08-29-2006, 11:59 AM
AMA234
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't afford to crash it, dont fly it. This is a hobby and should be treated as such. Having to resort to drinking to calm you down only shows another problem that needs to be addressed. Having said that, I broke my foot after I crashed my 1/3 scale Weeks Special. That was a TOTAL loss. I turned around and kicked a pilot stand and broke my foot. I have since learned that getting mad wont fix anything... it just makes the situation worse because you do things you really dont mean to. I feel your pain for your plane loss.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Purple Bird
My Feedback: (24)

Sorry to hear of your loss with that plane. At certain times in life there is NOTHING better than a few drinks to get the edge off.

It sounds like you could not have a better family. Spend some time with them and then get back to the drawing board.

-Good luck!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:51 PM
schwatd

I was once told that 'Flying is a hole in the sky for which one is to throw money in to!' If you can't fold it, don't fly it. If yea do fold it give it a great wake with what ever goes down smooth!

Calm Winds and Smooth Landings

ts
Old 09-02-2006, 02:02 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am drinking Barcadi and thinking about my crash today. Damn battery disconnected after a blender. Lost a GP Ultimate 160 after about 10 flights. DA-50R was sent to DA today and everything else is okay. Ordered a new plane from tower about 30 minutes after the crash. lol
Old 09-02-2006, 02:30 AM
drunkenbushman

Very sorry to hear about your lose. Lucky you have a sporting wife.

This jut proves that when you want to ask a question and get the answer you want to hear, ask a 3 yr old!
Old 09-02-2006, 09:16 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: Bosch232

Only three and yet so wise to the ways of R/C flight....................

Go with his advice
Old 09-08-2006, 11:55 AM
suitcase

Quote :You ever have a plane that just seems to have bad karma from the moment you open the box for the first time when it arrives in the mail?
This plane was that way for me. It was one thing, and then another, and then another. And finally after TWO MONTHS I maidened it today.

Sounds just like my experience with the Vector Flight Xtra 300. The build went on endlessly, fabricating tank mounts and on and on, strengthening here and there till the day of maiden. It flew about 30 yards and began to roll. Forget about it. I still have the busted up parts. It caused $158 in damage to my YS 110 on top of that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21346.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	520998  
Old 09-08-2006, 10:45 PM
drunkenbushman

Bugga suitcase sorry to hear that mate.

She looked like a little beauty too.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:07 AM
nitro wing

Bummer.I am due for a good crash,so I've been stocking the bar
Old 09-09-2006, 12:08 AM
mjfrederick

I hate to say this, and I don't know if someone may have already pointed it out because I didn't read all the posts, but I have seen soooo many models auger in on a dead stick because the pilot didn't know some simple physics that all full-scale pilots need to know. Mainly, that the greater the angle of the wings in a turn (a coordinated turn that is, and since most of us turn with ailerons and elevator, it may be slightly more) but an aircraft turning with a 45 degree bank is experiencing 1.5 times the force of gravity, and in a 60 degree bank is experiencing twice the normal force of gravity. Meaning that it must maintain that much more lift to maintain flight. I've seen too many experienced pilots forget this when their engine dies, and just try to make a hard break for the runway, even though they probably had enough airspeed to make a shallow round turn and come somewhere close. I even saw a former WWII Navy pilot take a beautiful T-36 on it's maiden flight and turn it in to splinters because as soon as the engine died he panicked and made a hard turn to the runway. The entire wing might not stall, but a tip stall with no power is enough to start a plane-killing spin. I hope this helps with future in-flight engine problems. Ever since I was taught this basic principle in FAA ground school (among other useful things) I haven't missed a runway on a dead stick since. The main thing is, maintain airspeed as long as possible, and keep the wings as level as possible, making sure to use rudder to coordinate the turns. It would be a hell of a lot easier if we were sitting in the plane and could set "best glide speed" but if we were, we wouldn't be in these forums.

P.S. If you don't know what a coordinated turn is, send me a PM, I'll explain it in detail
Old 09-09-2006, 12:10 AM
mjfrederick

Oh yeah, one more thing... drink one for me too. I haven't crashed in a long time, and as long as LSU keeps winning I won't have really have a reason to get really hammered.