Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Midstar no more

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Midstar no more

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 01:30 AM
flynte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midstar no more

We'll the Midstar bit the bullet today []. Only had 5 1/2 cycles on it. On the fifth flight I touch down and and was rolling in and then that DUMB voice hit me and said hit it and get a couple more circuits in. Well, went and pulled it to soon and when it tipped and that prop hit the pavement on WOT, the engine went one way and the plane the other. Not bad damage other than engine mount, high speed needle bracket and some covering. Got it all fixed up and was ready to roll this morning. Got to our flying spot, checked surface movements, fired it up and on my way. After take off, rolled wide to right and climbing up to about 95' and about 150' away and that was it. It stayed in the roll right to a nose plant, I was on the sticks but it wouldn't respond to any input and then splat. I have yet to post mortum it, but I know what I missed to do was a range check [sm=what_smile.gif] [sm=52_52.gif]. Mabey something from the pevious mishap shook the Rx ???? But anyways, after that I had to maiden my Pilutus PC-9 [X(] talk about shakey knees on that, but can report 4 really good fights on it, what a nice plane. As for the Midstar, I think it was jinxed from the get go for me, had some maiden episodes with it ( have other posts about that one ).

RIP.... expirey date Aug 19, 2006 10:39 am

Pics from post repair to post mortum

flynte
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50430.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	509958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75335.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	509959  
Old 08-20-2006, 02:59 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Midstar no more

Its very sad when things just dosen't seems to go as you would want them to go, but least you had some fun oand good flights out of it. As for your RX i have feeling it got locked in one direction and caused the crash, unless you had lost RX battery charge while in flight and there was nothing for RX to gain power from or recived signal from TX and it frozed at one direction and that was it for Midstar....

Check your Rx and the RX battery to make sure it was the battery but not RX itself....What type of RX were you using?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:56 PM
flynte

The flight pack was a Hitek. The battery was fully charged before flight (only 3mths old with 7 cycles on it). I haven't had time to go over everything yet, but the battery pack took heavy damage and the reciever only has about 4" of antenna left on it. I did shake the reciever and there's some rattling coming from inside. Doesn't look I 'll find out what happened on this one. Stll have to clean and check the engine out, hopefully it has no internal injuries. The tail section is still mint so I'll mount it on a plaque and put it on the wall as my first fatal crash. But on a higher note, I have a Super Decathlon coming to take it's place in the hanger. Got some more flights on the PC-9, what a fun little plane

flynte
Old 08-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well im sure if you can find another fuse only, then you still have some structural parts left to put another Mid Star togather on the bright side, i still clearly remember my first crash of tri-pacer, i only had 3-4 flights on B/N then ASP 40 and due to elevator horn failure i lost BN engine, one servo, RX and whole forward fuselage!, rest i ended up giving away to somebody few months later as parts source.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:28 PM
flynte

Concordfan, That bites losing an engine also. Things look not to bad so far on the engine, turns over with no binding and the crank seems to be true by eyeball, I'll get it opened up and see what it looks like.I cant believe how tough these things are because it buried 4" into some hard dry crop field. Unfortuantly the wing was pretty damaged so I'll just move on. This was the first plane that had a pilot in it, so I have fired him for turning his radio off while flying my equipment.

flynte
Old 09-01-2006, 10:07 PM
pilot727

Flynte
I got to tell you that you have a very beautiful shop in which to do your work in, i have to do my repairs in the living room, they get done but i have to be really carefull not to get glue on anything but just wanted to tell you that you have a great shop and anyone can see your a very neat person so i can only guess that your planes are done as neat and look as nice as your shop, good flying, rollie
Old 09-02-2006, 09:51 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Sorry you lost your midstar. I lost a midstar also. It was a great flier with oversized flight control surfaces, dual aileron servos, spruce wingspars, and glassed center section. It was built tough for hardcore aerobatics and it held up well for a season of aerial abuse. I though it was indestuctable until I put it into a full throttle dive from about 500ft and the wing structure failed in a spectacular fashion. All I could do was watch it come down the remaining 400ft in three pieces. Luckily the ground was soft that day and I was able to salvage my engine and radio gear for a future airplane.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:21 PM
fourstar2

yes i do have to agree with( props forever )the misfortune of a radio system failure is always the worst. Theres never a good outcome. But in my 13 years of rc flyin experiece has tought me that when it comes to an rx failure the battery is 99.9 percent of the time the culprit. It could have been a number of things but the biggest thing is that if your battery was jared around or even thrown from the fuselage in the crash it could have knocked a cell bridge loose or shorted out the output wire which under the vibration of nitro engine will almost always rear its ugly head.
On the subject of youre reciever surprisingly they are tougher than you think. As lomg as you wrap them in foam rubber and stow them propperly they really dont have the weight or inertia to damage themselves in a crash unless they are crushed by something else which would show obvious physical damage. And im not saying that its not your reciever but its more than likely your battery that caused the wreck. whatever it was i hope you figure it out and have many more safe flights.
GOOD LUCK