Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

cross wind landings?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

cross wind landings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:15 PM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cross wind landings?

I think I'm getting deja vu. [sm=confused_smile.gif]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4651696/anchors_4651696/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4651696]Online Spelling Mafia[/link]
Old 09-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Arrow IV

Gum,
You were serious about that "this would be good in the beginners forum" thing? My bad man, really I thought you were crackin on us for playin a little in this thread. So I was playin along, again my bad! This is good stuff for the "Greenies" (no I don't know how to spell that and if you use it I want my royalties).
Next time there is a misunderstanding don't go all "high horse" on us, just say what you were sayin, thats all! No Problamo. (I spell better in Spanish)
Keeping it real though, if I'm wrong I say it, read my posts... (Insert Cat Fight Sound Here)

Rubber Side Down Boys!!!

PS I don't feel good right now... I think I had some bad fish...
Old 09-13-2006, 03:30 AM
ps2727

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the tricks I use when training someone for crosswinds is to use the rudder trim to "hold" downwind rudder (if the wind is from the left, put right rudder trim in) thru the landing. This causes the pilot to have to hold aileron into the wind for the approach and flare which he'll have to do in a cross controlled landing. After he's done a few that way we center the rudder trim and he gets to try holding in the rudder with the stick. This way he gets learn cross controlled one stick at a time.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:33 AM
pywackit

Hey Guys, Sorry I guess I should have posted this in the beginners section.

Ps2727, now that's a great idea and it's simple.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:11 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ps2727

One of the tricks I use when training someone for crosswinds is to use the rudder trim to "hold" downwind rudder (if the wind is from the left, put right rudder trim in) thru the landing. This causes the pilot to have to hold aileron into the wind for the approach and flare which he'll have to do in a cross controlled landing. After he's done a few that way we center the rudder trim and he gets to try holding in the rudder with the stick. This way he gets learn cross controlled one stick at a time.

Not a bad idea, how about going one step further but you will need a radio capable of this.

I know on the JR9303 and 10X you can remove control of any of the 4 basic controls from the student. If you have a radio capable of this, maybe it would be good to remove rudder control from the student and the instructor can then handle the rudder and allow the student to work everything else or even take away aileron control and let them work the rudder
Old 09-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Arrow IV

Pywackit,
This is the perfect item for this forum, its not starter stuff, its cross winds! Whatever your flyin, model or the space shuttle you have to learn how to fly first, land second and cross it up third. By my count that's #3 so GAME ON!!

Here is a couple of reasons this is good right here: listen to what these last couple of posts were about = advanced. Also go to the field and watch how many guys DON'T cross it up. This that and the other thing blah blah blah, the truth is, it is a very small % of RC pilots that actually do cross it up and make TRUE cross wind landings!!!

Finally the radio inputs with the trim and so forth, great ideas to start a guy getting ready to do crosses!! Only thing I will say is don't do that for too long or you will have to unlearn something to ultimately learn something else... Know what I mean? Its hard to articulate that idea, but I think ya catch my drift. Good stuff though!!

Rubber Side Down Boys!!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:05 AM
rangerstl

I fly a draggy airplane, and find that when slipping to line up with the runway, the cross control and yaw sucks a little more airspeed off than normal. I usually blip a click of throttle in for the few seconds of slip and then chop when I hit ground effect.

Add ONE or TWO clicks of throttle, because if you try to stretch the glide a stall is in your future.

N
Old 09-14-2006, 09:57 AM
pywackit

Rangerstl, Your telling me! Guess what I did yesterday evening? LOL!

Add ONE or TWO clicks of throttle, because if you try to stretch the glide a stall is in your future.
I only broke the prop, I was lucky! My flying partner yesterday warned me about it but I couldn't tell I was going to slow....I still need more practice. I did however learn to maintain a pattern and do figure 8's, even if those 8's look out of shape it's still an 8, right? LOL
Old 09-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Arrow IV

Pywackit,
Its OK guys I'll take the blame... All that great info from the boys and nobody said anything about increased drag in a cross controll until Rangerstl did... dude my bad!! See I told you this was good for this forum.
Py here is another suggestion that will tie in the drag and stalls and stuff. Take her up nice and high cross it up, chop the power, feed in a LITTLE elevator slowly, wait till she stalls, neutralize the controlls and recover. This is what should happen: she'll drop a wing while pitching down, roll over and then you recover. This recovery will probably be pointed straight down. Next do the same thing with no cross control this time she'll stall, pitch down and then recover. This is so you can get a feal for airspeed in relation to a stall. The way it looks, I know that sounds funny but you'll see. If that's a little much have someone help you.
Most guys I know take every brand new plane up, trim it out, then stall it. You godda know when she will stop flyin or your gonna land toooooo early (hope not) or never, ya catch my drift.

Insert questions here_____________

Rubber Side Down Boys!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:53 PM
ArCeeFlyer

ORIGINAL: Arrow IV

...All that great info from the boys and nobody said anything about increased drag in a cross controll until Rangerstl did...
I made a similar reference to it in post #7.

ORIGINAL: ArCeeFlyer

...The slip is also very handy to slow down a fast landing approach, especially on dead-stick.
Arrow, excellent point about always finding your plane's stall limits under different configurations. Knowing her breaking point in an emergency is extremely useful in preventing a crash.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:36 PM
pywackit

Arrow IV, I'd say so and funny that you should mention that.....Hogflyer was with me and did just that but I wasn't quite sure just what was going on. The one thing I did notice is that it's easier to tell it's going to stall when the plane is way up there then when it's about 5' from the ground coming towards you for an approach. It looked like i was almost ready to land and closer to the ground but NOooooooo! Hogflyer made several of these landings and all of them were perfect but I still couldn't tell how close he was to the ground. With no depth perception these landings are going to be tricky for me but I know there is a way to remedie this. I'm thinking maybe I need to land the plane further down the runway from me instead of right in front of me. It's just finding the right view so I can judge. I learned that the best way for me to take off is stand right on the runway and watch the plane take off this way. When Hogflyer and I did it I was standing to the side and I couldn't tell if I was rolling straight down the runway or not and almost got into trouble with the crosswind. That wouldn't have happened if I was standing on the runway watching but I'm sure rules permit pilots standing there to take off.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Arrow IV

Pywackit,
Yeah that side view thing takes a while to get used to. Everything in RC is visual (and a little hearing) which is good because that means it can be learned, so stick with the side view it'll get better. Remember when you were making your very first turns and one way was easy and the other was like you were Corky from Life Goes On?? Same thing it'll get better, so stick with the side view. If it dosen't work after a while I'll send JOE to help!!![:@]

Hey ArCeeFlyer,
My bad on the passin ya over on the drag thing, I'll give you (joe) your props now:
Hey Py ArCee said it first! Now its immortal.... or immoral whatever... (damn spelling)
Man, whats my deal I'm passin out "my bads" like Brittney spits out babies!!

Rubber Side Down Boys!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:16 PM
ArCeeFlyer

[sm=shades_smile.gif] Joe says that's cool. He also says to practice, practice, practice and then when you think you're ready, practice some more. [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 09-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Arrow IV

ArCeeFlyer,
What else can be said... That's it! Being a pilot is a practice, RC or otherwise, the day you think you know it all, that's the day you become dangerous!! That's also the day I stop flyin with you.

Holy crap that's a little dark... I need some smart***** comment here or something....

Rubber Side Down Boys!!!

PS I just watched that video again for the 300th time. ArCee what is it about that thing... Its mezmorizing... (or however the hell you spell it) I can't stop watchin it!!! That last trip 7 commin in flippin that rudder all over the place... Amazing... I'm gonna go watch it again.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:51 AM
ArCeeFlyer

Is it just a visual anomaly caused by the refraction from the heat waves, or do the wheels on a couple of those jets actually tilt? Once they are on the ground they look straight. An auto tilting system for crosswinds kind of like the B-52? I wouldn't think camber would be needed as much as caster. It must just look that way I guess.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Arrow IV

ArCeeFlyer,
I don't think I'll ever know how the landing gear system on a trip 7 truly works, either way though its way cool...
I'm gonna go watch it again... Hold my calls.

Rubber Side Down Boys!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 09:28 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That video just goes to show me that I need to work on my crosswind technique more. While I'm pretty good at crosswind landings, these guys have it down to an art form.

You can read bout the 777 gear and you will find out it does not rotate like the B-52 does, but the rear most truck does turn when the tiller is used to help it maneuver into a parking spot.

When I was a mod, all of the mods had a long conversation about this video a while ago, even the car guys were impressed. Most of it was done in Washington state and the tires were torn up pretty good
Old 09-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Arrow IV

Bubba,
Yeah I bet there aint much left on those bad boys. Hey by the way, what's a "mod"?

Old 09-18-2006, 09:09 PM
ps2727

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

The video is impressive but that is not the normal way crosswind landings are done by airline pilots. Notice that there is no attempt to cross control during those landings (at least not until touchdown) - I suspect those were intentional crab landings done for some part of certification. Even the autoland system cross controls during the latter stage of an approach and does a great job. Still it shows what a sturdy airplane the 777 is.
Paul
Old 10-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just thought I would add this. I had to come in on A cross wind without A rudder A few weeks ago, servo problem. I just brought it in way off to the side of the runway and let the wind blow it over to the center line. It took A couple of passes to get it right but you wouldn't have known I was missing anything when I landed. It worked but having all your controls is better.