Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Prop Bitten

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Prop Bitten

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:45 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Prop Bitten

this thread is a real reality check for the never been wacked folks like oldvikings beginner, I was lucky enough,if you can call it that, to have been sliced and diced enough with the .049 engines when I first started out in the early 70's to have a healthy respect for a prop, you would be surprised how much dammage one of those little buggers will do.

the worst control line plane ever was that goldberg little toot biplane, OMG that thing was a bear to get to the needle I was always getting hit by the prop,after a couple of times I refused to start it.

been lucky so far, haven't been wacked by any of my larger engines thankfully, by the looks of the photos I don't want to either.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:52 PM
crossman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, for one, think it is a GOOD thing to see this thread revived from time-to-time. Every one of us (not just the noobies) needs to be reminded of the respect that these propellers deserve and demand!!

Radical, It is good to hear that you have recovered enough to continue flying. If this thread keeps one flyer aware enough to not go through this, You can know that you did us all a service by starting it.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto the reviving the thread kudos.

Also, thank you folks. I probably wouldnt have read it again if not for new posts. However, I ve no been to the field for about 7 months and am about to get back (tommorow if the weather allows) so a good healthy dose of reality check on here is much better than a stupid mistake there would be!
Old 12-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Radical Departure

Well its been 4 years and hand is still doing ok.. tightness remains around the first 2 knuckles, but nothing that interferes with flying or building.. stay safe fliers!!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:26 PM
mustangman177

Glad to hear you're better !! Thanks for the update and you are back to good health.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:56 AM
mad max

This happened a while ago and I'm not sure whether to post it here or in the humour section but any way I was sitting cross legged with no shoes on on my lawn tuning a .25 sport plane and once it was running nicely I cut to half throttle and stood up.... Heard a cat meowing and my right big toe sort of went numb. Yip - as I stood up I put it in the prop. Lucky it was only a .25 and luckily I could hide my shame at the club with a shoe but the lesson was learnt. Good luck to all with major injuries and speedy recovery.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That doesn't really sound like it belongs in the humor section.
Even small engines and electrics can cause major pain.

FR
Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 PM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent thread. I hope all who shared their stories continue to heal well.

Last week one of the guys got bit in the arm by a funcub. He accidentally shut off the transmitter before unplugging the plane. Somehow it apparently had failsafe set at 1/3 power...

It got me to double check my that my planes are set to stop motor or engine when signal is lost.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:03 AM
Oberst
Banned

12 years of flying and 10 years of club flying with AMA membership, I still have all 10 fingers and toes. Sometimes I think I'm lacking brains, but that's another topic. Great Thread! We need more like this to remind us what can happen if we don't pay attention and or let our guard down.

Fly safe!

Pete
Old 09-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Flight Risk

Warning! Don't enlarge the photo if you have a weak stomach!

I was sent this photo quite awhile back, and always wondered the story behind it.
Does anyone know?

FR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca83006.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1656479  
Old 09-02-2011, 09:11 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

looks like a boat prop hit from a really boat wow thats got to hurt poor guy
Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 AM
Bobhend

It took two years for my finger to recover. What happened is the engine started BACKWARDS and the plane rolled back on the flight stand. The spinner had broken and I could no longer use the starter so I used the chicken stick. Since I had never had a backwards start, I did not notice the prop wash was not blowing on me.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:39 AM
mikeh251

good thread. I broke 2 ribs (in my chest, not a wing!!) today when I was out working a motor on a bench outdoors. One knee gave out and i spun, hopped a couple steps trying to save a fall (to no avail just picked up more speed) and hit the corner of a cement block with my right rear ribcage. Didn't fall very close to the motor and the motor was not running. But, these experiences here and mine today remind me of another important issue and that is some of the tools we use. I didnt mention, but the knee that gave out was the one on my prosthetic leg which can happen time to time. One day years ago I had a similar instance where I left a grinding wheel running and walked across the shop to get something. When I returned, I caught a extension cord with this foot and did the same hopping around thing until I went hands first right into the grinder. I was lucky and all of my damage healed but left some scars for reminder to be careful of tools. But todays event made me think back and was thankful I didn't fall into a spinning prop.I need to review my work areas, tools, equipment and procedures for safety in all aspects of this hobby. My ribs hurt like hell and I am getting too old for quick healing. I often work and fly alone and need to be double safe and have a plan for emergency. Ressurecting the thread on the day of my new injury has me thinking. OP: I don't believe any of us deserve any injuries, but they can and do occur. Most could be avoided though.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Flight Risk

Here's another photo that showed up with no caption. Seems to be a lady's hand. Could be from a prop, but not sure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45581.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	1838608  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Radical Departure

OP here... wow, been 7 years now. Hand still doing ok though the tightness never left, I can live with that. Thanks to all that have contributed!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Sessholvlaru

ORIGINAL: Flight Risk

Here's another photo that showed up with no caption. Seems to be a lady's hand. Could be from a prop, but not sure.
Obviously not from a prop, no idea how you could think it was. Clearly something more like a meat grinder.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 AM
mniesen89

Wow radical, I'm reading this thread for the first time and as a beginner, it makes me more leary and cautios of the prop.

Sorry for your misfortune.

On a cool note, I would have sprayed clear gloss enamel over the blood splatter on your plane and showed it to all the noobs that come along!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:00 PM
xplayer930

Been flying for 19 years on an off..Im 27 an unfortunatly have given up on nitro/gas planes. As a 4th year medical student i really cant afford gamble with my hands. There for I have switched over to electrics an helis. Still just as fun
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Radical Departure

ORIGINAL: mniesen89

Wow radical, I'm reading this thread for the first time and as a beginner, it makes me more leary and cautios of the prop.

Sorry for your misfortune.

On a cool note, I would have sprayed clear gloss enamel over the blood splatter on your plane and showed it to all the noobs that come along!
LOL!!! ... I should have... stay safe and enjoy.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Sessholvlaru

ORIGINAL: xplayer930

Been flying for 19 years on an off..Im 27 an unfortunatly have given up on nitro/gas planes. As a 4th year medical student i really cant afford gamble with my hands. There for I have switched over to electrics an helis. Still just as fun
But just as dangerous too. The guy who started this thread was "bitten" by an electric. Permanent hand damage.

P.S. How is medical school? I was originally pre-med but changed my mind. 29 now and would need to take a couple classes before applying to med school.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
kenh3497

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

His main point was that ''one link'' in the chain of events that, if broken, would have stopped the events, changed what would have happened, ''that led to that accident''. And, he further elaborated that in every accident there is a chain of events that led to the accident, usually, a chain of mistakes. If any one of the mistakes was corrected, that accident would have been prevented.
My chain of events goes like this.... I start my plane with me on the right front quadrant of the plane. I usually lay my TX to the right and slightly behind me. I walk around the back of the plane to adjust the needle valve. The day of the accident, my TX was in front of the left wing, I walked around the front of the plane..... I think, don't really know, but I think, I was reaching for my TX..... through the prop disc at full rpm. Too bad we can't see the mistakes we are making first.

See http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm

Ken
Old 02-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Vinyl Cafe

Wow, I never knew electrics could be so dangerous, I'll definitley be more vigilant when I work with my planes as I will be changing out my esc on my pulse xtsoon. As for the picture with the shredded lady's hand, that was a secretary who got her hand in a paper shredder. I remember seeing that somewhere on the web before.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM
nitro wing

I stradle my 50cc low wing aerobat and start the engine from behind, not sure why it hasnt caught on.. way safer, take s a bit getting used to and the prop needs to be set right. I use my left hand to swing the prop, maybe thats why..

I always watch in horror as guys fire up their big gassers, on some rope with a loose knot, or nothing at all, or some weak stakes in the ground, staring at a 23 inch prop or bigger revving at a few thousand rpm, the prop disc ready to eat your face or shred your crotch [X(]
Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Flight Risk

I wouldn't say it's safer to start a plane while stradling it from behind. Possibly if your knees are on the ground. But standing and leaning over you are more likely to lose your balance, I would think. And the possibility of tripping over the plane after it starts also.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Sessholvlaru

ORIGINAL: Flight Risk

I wouldn't say it's safer to start a plane while stradling it from behind. Possibly if your knees are on the ground. But standing and leaning over you are more likely to lose your balance, I would think. And the possibility of tripping over the plane after it starts also.
Agreed. Starting a plane this way is foolish at best. You're basically putting your entire body at risk.

I set my 50cc props so TDC is about 12 o'clock. That way your hand is out of the way with time to spare.

The only time I was ever "bitten" was a lapse in judgment on my part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.