Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Prop Bitten

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Prop Bitten

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:29 AM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that. Absolutely crazy.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, somewhere there's an. FAA video showing several similar, talking about how you should always restrain the plane or have a qualified person at the controls, preferably both, when hand starting.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:56 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Any way you look at it full size or scale you don't want that thing moving without someone who knows what they are doing at the controls!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:38 PM
stevegauth30

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
Something on youtube a while back that I saw was the same thing but the guy was hanging onto the plane as it was moving in a circle with a woman inside not knowing what to do.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTM-paAXCo
Ya know, it's a good thing his girlfriend was frozen with fear. If not, she probably would have tried to throttle it down. The one thing I remember about flight training was that the throttle always confused me. I always wanted to push it in to throttle down which is the opposite. Had she pushed that knob in, it would have been much worse .
Old 02-13-2014, 08:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

Not a pretty thought at all!
Old 08-02-2015, 11:36 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Too many scary stories in here.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:04 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just so you don't think the avaiation hobby is the only one with nasty finger injuries.....the car guy can be just as bad.
i cut this one out of a car forum. The text said the victim was trying to get a nut out of the impact socket....and

Note the newly cut threads!!! Yikes

now the question is .....as an emergency doctor how are you going to remove the nut?......from the "nut. "
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2112564  

Last edited by bentwings; 08-03-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:12 PM
steph69

one of my biggest fears is tripping or falling into my prop I take it very seriously I have always been terrified of that spinning prop. Don't know why but I have always had a healthy fear of the risks so I try my hardest to go above and beyond with the safety aspect, Sorry to see some of the injuries some guys have suffered, this is a fantastic hobby but can be very dangerous. always think twice and never do things in a hurry. Great Thread Guys brings a new meaning to suffering for your art.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:17 PM
FlyWheel

This thread should have a warning on it
Old 08-03-2015, 02:39 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyWheel
This thread should have a warning on it
It does, what does "Prop Bitten" mean to you?
Old 08-03-2015, 02:46 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by bentwings
Just so you don't think the avaiation hobby is the only one with nasty finger injuries.....the car guy can be just as bad.
i cut this one out of a car forum. The text said the victim was trying to get a nut out of the impact socket....and

Note me the newly cut threads!!! Yikes

now the question is .....as an emergency doctor how are you going to remove the nut?......from the "nut. "
Just unscrew it - righty tighty, lefty loosey.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:34 PM
FlyerInOKC

I had a friend who worked in a pipe shop years ago. One of the guys got bit by a 4" pipe machine. It threaded the arm past the elbow and half way to the shoulder!
Old 04-03-2016, 05:13 AM
ron ward

boy, the more I read about electrics, the more i'm glad I still prefer glow engines.
I find that some fluorescent fingernail polish on the tips of the prop goes a long way to keep fingers out of the way. the right colors really make an obvious circle to remind you it's there. I like orange and yellow, hot pink and of course a good bright white. I also find that in my career as a wood worker, I have learned to be always conscious of where my hands are around rotating objects.
I also notice that a lot of guys don't have their carbs set up quite perfectly, and need to rush to the high speed needle at times to keep a started engine running,...that's a recipe for a trip to the emergency room !.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:56 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Yeah, but electrics are still evolving, with better and better safeguards on their ESC's all the time. I've been building a GP Super Stearman powered by electric, and I'll admit, looking at such a BIG electric prop turned by a huge electric motor does give me pause. As it turns out, I've finally made the decision to step down from the hobby, so this particular project will be somebody else's learning curve, or it'll end up with some experienced electric flyer who won't even give it a second thought.

~ Jim ~
Old 04-03-2016, 07:10 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by PacificNWSkyPilot
Yeah, but electrics are still evolving, with better and better safeguards on their ESC's all the time. I've been building a GP Super Stearman powered by electric, and I'll admit, looking at such a BIG electric prop turned by a huge electric motor does give me pause. As it turns out, I've finally made the decision to step down from the hobby, so this particular project will be somebody else's learning curve, or it'll end up with some experienced electric flyer who won't even give it a second thought.

~ Jim ~
Sorry for your decision. I know it was a hard one.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:53 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Jim! Great to hear from you! How're things in ol' San Antone and Boerne?

Yeah, I'm finally hanging up my RC spurs. But don't worry, I've still got my other hobbies. My foot surgery turned out badly, so I know it'll be years - if ever - before I can stand out at the flying field all day. Figured I'd step down and divert the funds to my other hobbies.

~ Jim ~
Old 04-04-2016, 07:44 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by PacificNWSkyPilot
Jim! Great to hear from you! How're things in ol' San Antone and Boerne?

Yeah, I'm finally hanging up my RC spurs. But don't worry, I've still got my other hobbies. My foot surgery turned out badly, so I know it'll be years - if ever - before I can stand out at the flying field all day. Figured I'd step down and divert the funds to my other hobbies.

~ Jim ~
I am still having fun all over the place. The stupid trees are still reaching up and eating my airplanes when I am not trying to start a balsa forest. Other than that, smoothly. From what *I* remember about my foot surgery, it takes about a year for it to stop really hurting and about 1 1/2 years to be totally gone. You say yours went badly, is that a medical opinion or how you feel/hurt now? I would hope not a medical opinion.