Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Prop Bitten

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Prop Bitten

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:16 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prop Bitten

ORIGINAL: qldviking

My ex would have called for a preacher to give me the last rites
MY ex- wife would would have stood there praying that the medics would get lost on the way to my home. All the while hiding the phone from my son.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 PM
nyflyer56

and that my friends is why they are EX's!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:28 PM
qldviking

Amen to that [8D]
Old 01-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Me again, the next day. I'm starting to heal, and there is little pain, but the damn bandages are keeping me from getting back at the planes. Hopefully I will not have another brain fart like this, but you never know. It's important to remember it's best not to fly alone and have a cel phone handy. All flying fields should have a first aid kit, and if not take your own. This is a great activity and like anything there are risks. Riding a bike or skiing can be risky. On the bigger planes, I think everyone should use wood props. Wearing gloves at a minimum is a good idea. Does anyone sell a kevlar or such glove that is flexible? I know there are butchers gloves.

Rod S
Old 01-14-2009, 03:44 PM
qldviking

with my last gasser I used a cricketters batting glove. They have a nice thick padding on the back side reasonably thick for the rest, but flexible enough to do what you need for starting
Old 01-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Keep hanging in there, it'll get better. Our club has an informal policy that tries to encourage folks not to fly alone. Of course reality never works that way. I've thought about the first aid idea, but no real solution. Our field is part of the local parks department, and unfortunately vandalism sometimes occurs. Point being, anything valuable left there may not be there when you get back. So about best can do is to encourage members to carry a first aid kit as part of their flight gear. The folks with trailers should def. be able to have one on a wall.

As to the props, its not going to matter. Example, I took my lick from an APC. My guess would be that more strikes occur with wood/nylon props than carbon or metal. My big plane has wood prop only because nothing else really tickles me to switch to carbon. Not out of safety. I don't wear a glove to crank or fly glow so don't need a chicken stick. I've learned to safely manage that part of it, and realize I will never negate all the risks. (BTW, welding gloves seems to the glove of choice for a few of our members).

Heck, you don't have to be at the front of the plane to do something stupid. A while back I was taxiing my 260 out to the runway, and something about the tailwheel didn't look right. And I kept glancing at it while taxiing, so there was a degree of fixation. Decided I better check it out so stopped the forward movement. I was so interested in the tailwheel, that without thinking I reached down and picked the tail up, looked at it, hmmm.. looks fine.. sat it down, and then thanked the good Lord for looking after the stupid as well as the saints. Because the thought of plowing the prop into the ground simply did not cross my mind at that moment. I have no idea how close to the tip came to the ground. That will not happen again.

When I started this thread, I didn't really expect it to go anywhere, just a lesson I felt needed sharing. The scarring is not so bad now, the hand is still 'tight' feeling around the knuckles, but I've got good flex and it doesn't bother me on cold days. If you've recently found yourself on the receiving end, know that things do and will get better. And Thanks! again to all of you that have shared your experiences here.

HM
Old 01-14-2009, 06:35 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things really impressed me with this thread. The first was that this has gone for 155 posts before this current one of mine. The second is the subject matter and how the original post has cause so much of a stir.

If you electric beginners, or beginners in general that would like to start this hobby off, but with electrics, well, please take the time to read the entire thread, yeah, all 155 posts! And, this also applies to glow, but moreso to electrics because electrics are a tad bit more dangerous than glow. If you put your finger in the arc of the prop of a glow, the engine will most likely stop, of course, after doing considerable damage to your finger. With electrics, well, they still are powered up, and, because they are electrics, will want to continue to rotate.. thus, more than likely will do more damage than one that stops. I am not chastizing electrics here, just bring forth facts that cannot be disputed.

Aaaaanyway...

It is very important that you read as much of this thread as you can, if not all of it, because of what this is thread is all about. Yeah, sure, some of the posts are somewhat strange, and a tad bit over the edge, as most threads will be, but take the time to read through it and try to gather what you can out of it.

The main point here is that no matter what you fly, that rotating razor blade is dangerous. I have a post in this thread about how I ended up with five stiches in my right index finger doing, basically, the same thing the original poster did to himself. My controls were reversed (not the motor rotation, that was fine) but full was closed and closed was full. Even after following the instructions, and going through the 'arming sequence', well, I didn't pay attention to the 'attention tones' for the arming sequence of the ESC, and when I went from full (ESC idle) to idle (ESC full), it bit me and, well, five stiches later, and there, for the graces of God, I was looking at my plane and thinking of how could this accident have been prevented.

I've also talked, either in this thread or elsewhere, about that chain of events. Allow me to digress.. this will only take a minute of my time and may be a bit of good advice for both beginners and journeymen among us.

Soap box time.

Most of you know I am retired from the U.S. Coast Guard. I did 26.5 years of active duty. One of my duty stations was Coast Guard Air Station Humboldt Bay, McKinleyville, CA (about 300 driving miles north of San Francisco. At the time we had a pair of HH-52 helicopters (yeah, you coastie veterans, that was a while back). Well, on Thursday afternoons, every week, we had "assembly" followed by training. Our Safety Officer, one of the pilots, Lt. Jim Dicks (former US Marines), talked about the "chain of events" leading up to an accident.

His main point was that "one link" in the chain of events that, if broken, would have stopped the events, changed what would have happened, "that led to that accident". And, he further elaborated that in every accident there is a chain of events that led to the accident, usually, a chain of mistakes. If any one of the mistakes was corrected, that accident would have been prevented.

Think about it. I'm sure most of you have had an accident of one sort of another, (not just RC, but in your every day activities). Think about that accident and then think about what led to it. Something you could have done may have prevented that accident and it would never be part of history, but one of those things that never happened.

Yeah, I know that there are some that you are an innocent victim, but there was a cause, perhaps that person that ran the yellow light that was actually red, or ran the stop sign and rammed into your car and flipped it over (personal experience for me in that one.. totaled my Suraru Outback LL Bean..). But I think about that accident.. I had my seat belt buckled as did Julie (my significant other) and, I am convinced, our lives were spared by that insiginficant event.. buckling our seat belts..

So, you see, there is always something to learn from these types of posts, and I know my right index finger can tell you, if it could talk.. that the one link I could have broken is to have read a bit more about my ESC and paid a little more attention to those tone codes that come from the ESC.

Off of my soap box.

CGr.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Bruno Stachel

Hal,
I made a very similar mistake with a GWS Slowstick. I turned the transmitter on then plugged the battery in. The motor lit up on full speed, even though I mad sure the throttle was off. I had the transmitter on the wrong plane with a reversed throttle setting. The prop probably would have stopped with little damage, had it hit my arm dead on. But just enough of the blades caught my forearm to give it over a dozen one inch cuts from my wrist to my elbow. Nothing serious, but I endured a few days of stinging and folks asking me if I got attacked by a cat.

I saw two serious prop strikes last year. One by a two stroke engine running high rpm's, and another by a giant scale gasser. The guy with the gasser caught a blade on the wrist, and easily could have bled to death. You could see the vein or artery (the one you check for a pulse) throbbing in the cut. But luckily it was not ruptured. I suppose the tendons protected it. He ended up with numerous stitches and some numbness. Some PT and OT and I believe he's almost back to normal.

Sorry for the gore, but I think it's good to share these prop strike stories. Every time I hear of or see one it makes for a nice course correction for any careless familiarity I may develop.
i had a gws slowstick attack me too. after i was flying i went to pick it up and somehow the throttle (tx hanging from my neck) got bumped and it went to "idle speed" (5 or so clicks) and i got hit. it hurt real bad but my fingers were ok.
it taught me to respect the prop and it saved my hand this weekend, i fired up my gms .47 with a new master airscrew prop (usually use a wood one but with temps so low they break too easy). I couldnt see the prop as well since it was black and i almost put my hand through it tring to get the glow plug but i remembered the slowstick situation.

so treat the prop as a gun (dont get in front of it/point it at someone) when fuel and a glowplug (or electricity) is connected to the motor and you will be fine
Old 01-17-2009, 10:06 AM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

I have a Saito 1.20 mounted inverted on a .60 sized dragon lady. It was hard as hell to get the glow starter off of the glow plug without burning your hand. You know what happens next, right? Burned my hand trying to take the starter off and my reaction to the burning was to jerk my hand away. Of course the finger went straight into the prop. Cut the side of my finger next to the nail clean off except for a flap of skin. Engine never even shut off. Wrapped it up and finished my flight! Didn't get stitches and I'm amazed at how well it healed. It literally grew back! I now have a remote glow!!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Wings of Peril

This one was CA'd at the field a few minutes after it happened. Just a small distraction and the left middle finger was into the arc of an APC prop on an ST45 engine. I was lucky. Two friends glued and dressed the wound after I ran it under cold water in the hanger restroom. Picture was taken about a week after the incident last August. I went to the Doc about three weeks after because I didn't like the way it was healing. Doc said it should have had stitches - but stitches would have only helped cosmetically. It could take up to a year to heal properly and up to two years (if ever) for the nerves to feel normal. The skin on the finger tip is all new and still a little sensitive. The only thing that bummed me out - I couldn’t play guitar for four months because the digit didn’t feel like it was really my finger.[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10921.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1115258  
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Wings of Peril

This one was CA'd at the field a few minutes after it happened. Just a small distraction and the left middle finger was into the arc of an APC prop on an ST45 engine. I was lucky. Two friends glued and dressed the wound after I ran it under cold water in the hanger restroom. Picture was taken about a week after the incident last August. I went to the Doc about three weeks after because I didn't like the way it was healing. Doc said it should have had stitches - but stitches would have only helped cosmetically. It could take up to a year to heal properly and up to two years (if ever) for the nerves to feel normal. The skin on the finger tip is all new and still a little sensitive. The only thing that bummed me out - I couldn’t play guitar for four months because the digit didn’t feel like it was really my finger.[X(]
Picture comes across a little blurry...sure that's not a big booger on the end of your finger??
Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Wings of Peril

SoCalSal,
If that looks like a booger to you, it must have made you hungry.
I’ll save it for ya.
Also, it happens to be my middle finger – so that's for you too!
[:'(]
Old 01-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Flight Risk

ORIGINAL: Wings of Peril

SoCalSal,
If that looks like a booger to you, it must have made you hungry.
I’ll save it for ya.
Also, it happens to be my middle finger – so that's for you too!
[:'(]
Burn!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank God i havent been bitten that hard, and hopefully never will with out full usage of my hands/fingers/thumbs, etc...this hobby wont be the same
Old 08-21-2009, 02:13 PM
RTW
My Feedback: (8)

I just saw this article and was quite interested in what everyone was saying. I'm one who was prop bitten. Before today I didn't have a term for it. I normally adjust my idle with my right hand. Been flying for 8 - 10 years with never a scratch. A year and a half ago I used my left hand and I don't know why but that change let me put my left pinky right into a prop that was running way too fast to start with.

I ended up with 25 stitches and two steel pins to put it back together. The doctor said he quit counting bone fragments after 12. Major bone, nerve and tendon damage that will be permanant. It has changed my life in most every aspect. I have no grip to speak of with my left hand. The finger is permantly straight and hurts to this day.

Two weeks later I was back out at the field. My whole point is like several others stated, we get hurt doing things we are too comfortable with. Don't get comfortable, it will get you into trouble, but don't let fear keep you from enjoying life either.

[img]

Name:	Rp44780.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1260342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58557.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1260343  
Old 08-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Live Wire

In the old day's we used to take the edges off the props with sand paper Today we shave with them[:@] or cut meat
Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too required a Ambulance ride and many many many stiches this fall. I am totally healed now and looking forward too next years flying season.

Name:	if10857.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	665.7 KB
ID:	1330510   Click image for larger version

Name:	mk25869.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1330511   Click image for larger version

Name:	qn38113.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1330512  
Old 12-09-2009, 01:36 PM
jakester007

Hey sorry about your hand I had a mishap also, I built a dumas big swamp buggy and as crazy as it sounds I put a supertigre 90 on it. I took it out for a spin and had to make a adjustment on the throttle link, needded to idle down more, because there were rocks around the bank I thought I would catch it with my left hand as it come in. I had my boat hooked up on a 4 channel aircraft because I could not wait for my surface radio to get in,so with my radio around my neck with my strap I bent down to catch the boat , and as I bent down my left hand hit the throttle stick and wide open into my hand the big nitro burning tigre ate lunch, with alot of hospitial care and time for recovery I could use my hand again, thankfully no fingers lost I believe the only thing that helped on my part was I used a wood prop and when contact with my hand the prop shatterd, just so thankful I didnt use that APC prop. Hope with my story I can keep others from making this mistake. take care...................
Old 12-09-2009, 09:04 PM
iflircaircraft

I was an instructor for a close friend starting in the hobby. He was flying an Avistar with a saito 4 stroke. He had just pitted after a flight and he always fueled up after pitting. On one occasion he spun the prop without the glow igniter and it fired up. Luckily he wasn't harmed.
But Caution: a 4 stroke can start without the glow igniter attached. I've never experienced a two stoke starting without a igniter but not taking any chances.

Tom
Old 04-20-2010, 09:24 PM
loadnabox

I just got back from the airfield and had to post about this somewhere, this seems like as good of a place.

I've long been paranoid about those spinning ginsus.  They scare the #2 out of me.  I've always said that I don't want to lose that fear.  When you lose that fear you get comfortable.  When you get comfortable you get careless.  Several members at my local club are renowned for doing things like stopping props by grabbing the spinner.  This seems dangerous to begin with, but watching them doing stuff like that gives you a feeling of ease.  I caught myself once almost trying the same thing when I couldn't get a badly idling engine to stop.  Today though I saw what happens if you get that comfortable...

One of those old-timer members forgot his electric starter.  He comes by my table and asks to borrow mine.  I don't have a battery, rather connect it to the car using a long set of jumper cables as a 12v extension cord.  He mentions it's a 30 year old plane he just put new electronics in, having trouble getting it flick started.  He gets it spinning up, takes a while, but the engine finally catches.  It's stumbling a lot, but is running.  He pulls the glow plug, it still is sputtering a lot.

Standing two feet from him, I watch as he calmly reaches for the carb needle sticking his fingers right into the wooden 9" prop.  The prop shatters and I get splattered in his blood.  The flesh on the back of his finger  gets flensed to the bone between the knuckes on his index finger, the tip of his middle finger sliced neatly open.

Remember folks  FEAR the prop.  Not to the point where you don't fly, but to the point where you maintain a good healthy respect for it.  What I saw today was the culmination of 30 years of bad habit forming in a veteran flier!  He had this bad incident because he no longer feared and respected the dangers that come with this wonderful hobby!

Me...  I'm keeping my fingers further back than ever and find a renewed respect for those ginsus though I've only been flying for a couple of years.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Flight Risk

It happens.
This is a weird topic to read, but I think it helps give us a reality check.

RS
Old 04-21-2010, 05:13 PM
hockeypilot
My Feedback: (4)

When Igot my Cermark Spitfire last fall, I realized I couldn't reach the plug from anywhere without getting too close to the prop arc...so a remote glow wasthe answer (from a forum posting) and it's inexpensive and incredibly convenient.
Ever watch those club members on their back hooking up their long reach glow ignitors.???
I spent the $20 and now I save the dirt on the shirt and the risk!

Remote Glow is the best!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 PM
qldviking

I have just revisited this thread fior one specific reason. I have a young beginner here (he has a std trainer with OS-46), and while going through the ropes on a safe starting and tuning he made the comment "but a prop cant hurt you that bad". I mean, how do you answer that one on the spot?, so I told him bluntly "yes it can and WILL at any givien opportunity" I then brought him home and told him to set up his plane ready to fly, while i grabbed a hotdog and a piece of broken fishing rod and set the puter to find this thread. I took the hotdog with its new 'bone' out and asked the kid to compare it to his finger for firmness etc, he said yeh , its close, so ok I said and we fired his plane up, and I slowly jammed the hotdog into his apc prop. The look on his face as the hotdog got sliced and diced and the f/g 'bone' got shattered was a sight to see, should have taken a pic lol. I shut the motor and power down, and told him to come inside. I then told him to read this thread. He kinda went green after the 2nd page, but I told him to keep going. At the end all he said was quietly " thats some serious s**t" then after a moment he said "guess it happens more often than we relise" I just nodded. he also said "I see why you wear that fat glove when you start you big motors" I just sauid yep, and asked what else he noticed about my starting proceedures, and he thought for a bit and said, "once your motor is running you get away and behind the prop". I just told him a prop is a swinging set on knives, that will slice, dice or break anything that comes into contact with them. He didnt say much at all while we packed his up and I drove him home.

Now to the people who complain about the grphic photo's on here, "GET A LIFE" this thread is about what is a TOO common occurance in our hobby. But then a lot of life is 'graphic', ie whats left of fido after a 12 ton tiptruck runs him over is a lot worse, or the carnage of road accidents i have witnessed, the list is endless. I bet thease same fools like to watch all the action and horror movies, with all the carnage etc, yet a little reality makes them squeamish? get real, this is real life and S**T happens. Watch it and learn from it.

Thanks to all that have posted here

cheers Johnno
Old 04-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Been almost 4 years since I started this thread. Hand is working well, and am able to use it in everything I do. The knuckles still feel tight, and an occassional ache, but as long as I can build and fly.. good to go! Glad to see the thread continues to educate folks on the dangers of props, and the situational awareness you must maintain while its spinning. Many thanks to those that have posted their experience. Hope the thread continues to educate...
Old 04-22-2010, 09:51 AM
mustangman177

Good Rehab Radical..............Yes, these articles always remind me to never get tooooo over confident in my abilities and to step back and re-evaluate what I do. Glad you're back to building and flying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.