Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

EERCASB Identification: SIIS12104Y3

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 11:57 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EERCASB Identification: SIIS12104Y3

Accident occurred : Saturday, June ? 199?
Aircraft : Sukhoi SU-31, Registration: RA0204
Engine : Jett Engineering .46
Pilot: Dr. McCoy
Injuries: 1 critical.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On Saturday June ? at approximately 1436 (GMT -08:00), RA0204 aerobatic plane was seen impacting the terrain just west of the Upper Valley Fun Fliers (UVFF) airfield. The owner/builder/pilot, was a rated aerobatics instructor with hundreds of hours on this type of aircraft. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the aerobatic training flight that originiated from UVFF airfield at approx. 13 minutes prior to before the accident. No flight plan.

After aprox. 13 minutes of trimming the aircraft and preforming some low level aerobatic maneuvers (approx. 15 to 200 feet AGL), the airplane was observed to roll over and impact the ground at a near vertical attitude at high speed. Aircraft was flying straight and level at approx. 50 feet before the accident. No radio contact was heard from the plane before the event.

Post crash analysis identified an inherently faulty fuel tank had ruptured during the aerobatic practice. This caused fuel to short out a battery lead. Airframe was destroyed, radio was still in operating condition, save the battery, and the engine sustained slight damage.

Aircraft was equipped with ejection seat although it wasn't observed to fire. Pilot suffered a severe head wound that actually broke the dashboard, but has since made a full recovery.

The UVFF Safety Committee determined the probable cause(s) of the accident as follows:

INADEQUATE GROUND CHECK...PILOT IN COMMAND
RUPTURED FUEL TANK... MANUFACTURER

Contributign factors:

OBJECT....GROUND

Sorry visioneer_one, I couldn't help my self . This WAS a Kyosho .40 size Sukhoi. Fun little plane for a few months . And yes I had a scale model of Bones from Star Trek I won as a door prize that, better or worse, got some airtime .
Old 01-18-2003, 12:09 AM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Default EERCASB Identification: SIIS12104Y4

EERCASB Identification: SIIS12104Y4

Accident occurred : Saturday, September ? 199?
Aircraft : Extra 300, Registration "
Engine : Super Tigre .51
Pilot: Dr. McCoy
Injuries: 1 minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On Saturday September ? at approximately 1436 (GMT -08:00), the Extra 300 aerobatic plane impacted the terrain on the South end of the Upper Valley Fun Fliers (UVFF) Runway 80. The owner/builder/pilot, was a rated aerobatics instructor with hundreds of hours on this type of aircraft. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the aerobatic training flight that originiated from UVFF airfield at approx. 4 minutes prior to before the accident. No flight plan was filed.

After aprox. 3 minutes of performing some low level aerobatic maneuvers (approx. 15 to 200 feet AGL), the pilot attempted a knife edge to knife edge snap roll downwind at low altitude. The airplane was observerved to get "buried" in the snap roll which degenerated into a single turn spin. The pilot then attempted to pull up using full aft elevator, and right rudder to avoid the crowded pit area and hangar structures. Aircraft was observed to "half snap" to inverted before impacting the terrain nose first at about a 30 degree angle. Due to the speed lost in the previous maneuvers, impact speed was low.

Pilot suffered a concussion and shoulder lacerations due to ejection from the cockpit, through the canopy, but has since made a full recovery. Aircraft suffered structural damage to empenage as well as severe cowling and upper fuselage damage.

The UVFF Safety Committee determined the probable cause(s) of the accident as follows:

INADEQUATE ALTITUDE FOR MANEUVER...PILOT IN COMMAND
INADEQUATE AIRSPEED FOR MANEUVER...PILOT IN COMMAND

Contributing factors:

OBJECT....GROUND
POSSIBLE WIND GUST...WEATHER EVENT

Thought I'd do one on McCoy's first crash, in a .40 size GP Extra . Poor guy LOL . Another fun plane I was testing the limits of. It was repairable.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:45 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default Re: EERCASB Identification: SIIS12104Y3

copycat

Originally posted by Silvanskii
Aircraft was equipped with ejection seat although it wasn't observed to fire.
Pilot suffered a severe head wound that actually broke the dashboard
fantastic