Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Pilot Error (I'm the pilot)

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Pilot Error (I'm the pilot)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 09:18 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Error (I'm the pilot)

This cost me my Goldburg 60 size Ultimate Bipe, Aluminum spinner, receiver, switch, and a couple of servos.
First off I was flying at a field unfamiliar to me. (I'm moving to a new city). The visual cues were new. The runway is asphalt and narrower than what I'm used to. this is just general info nothing to do with my stupidity.
Anyway 3rd flight of the day, inverted, making the third turn in a standard airport pattern. You guessed it dumb thumbs, however i had enough altitude to recover from inverted to level flight. When the pucker factor hit I must have retarded the throttle to idle. No sooner was the aircraft wings level from looping out of inverted that she rolled over and went straight in, from an alititude of about 20 ft. No roll in the descent that i remember.
When i got to the airplane the elevators were in the full up position.
Investagation revealed battery voltage was low but elevators were full up. Bottom line is I must have simply stalled the aircraft as soon as she was wings level cause I had a momentary attack of dumb thumbs.
Damage: fuselage destoryed forward of the aft cabine. cowling folded and cracked numerious places, back plate of spinner dented in the center, lower wing powdered at fuselage, leading edge cracked both sides. wing dowels broken, leading edge sheeting split 3 wing ribs worth both side of center. Reciever slide forward cracking some of the servo leads, and breaking the battery lead.
Sorry no pics. This one hurt.
Good luck have fun

Old 11-23-2006, 10:25 AM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pilot Error (I'm the pilot)

Mucho sorry for your loss. Bummer. A flying friend of mine gave me a good piece of advice about flying at new fields, not that flying at a new field caused your particular crash. He told me to always fly a plane ( preferably a " beater" ) that you`re REAL familiar and comfortable with when first flying at a new field. Good advice, I think, considering lack of familiarity with the area and some natural nervousness.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pilot Error (I'm the pilot)

JetMech05,
AKA: DumbThumb...Shake it off and go on. We've all been there. I use my G2 Flight sim at home all the time to practice and I enjoy flying on line with others. The more I fly the sim, the less problems I encounter at the field. We don't get to go to the field as often as we'd like, and nothing in between those times only adds rust to the rails. The flight sim helps to eliminate that issue. I have Warbirds that are fast and furious and the flight sim keeps my on top of my game. Good luck with the next one. Avoid tunnel vision. Try this nest time: Before taking off, visually look at the pattern you intend to fly. Remember any helpful landmarks that will help keep you oriented. Fly the plane in you mind the way you intend to fly it once it leaves the Hard Earth. Go through the flight from take off to landing. Then, go do it. Works for me. Hot dogging will get you in trouble fast at low altitudes. Do the fancy stuff upstairs, where the Angels are there to guide you. The Devil is down below! Good luck.