Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Big P-47 goes in hard.

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Big P-47 goes in hard.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Big P-47 goes in hard.

Here is another Youtube find. Looks to be 1/4 scale or so, judging by the people at the beginning. No idea what happened, just came across it. Sounds mean, instant confetti. Enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Htq2Atx8L78
Old 11-27-2006, 03:41 AM
driedjello

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Big P-47 goes in hard.

that's about how hard my P40 went down. I can't quite figure out what that plane was doing. the crash angle seemed very unnatural to me, the plane seemed to be more nose down than I would expect. Thanks for showing us this great video!
Old 11-27-2006, 02:42 PM
NorfolkSouthern

They were clapping at the end too. Could it have been because of the silencing of a loud muffler?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-27-2006, 04:30 PM
driedjello

Hey, I thought warbirds were supposed to be spitting, nasty, raspy, loud and every other thing! (I loved the sound of that in cowl muffler!)
Old 11-27-2006, 07:27 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That definately looked like a nosen kit ..It was a monster to be sure....
Old 11-27-2006, 07:34 PM
4*

I counted 4 major flight safety violations by the 'pilot"
He deserved to lose his plane.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:39 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

flutter, flutter, makes them shutter, too fast, too low, too loud, and too close..did I miss any?

clap, clap, clap.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:19 PM
jetmech05

I can't believe you Schmaltzy. no one "deserves" to loose an aircraft. perhaps no one taught the guy. Please wear your name on your shirt where ever you go I don't want to fly with you.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:27 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: bobzilla

flutter, flutter, makes them shutter, too fast, too low, too loud, and too close..did I miss any?

clap, clap, clap.
I think you about covered it. But I'll second the "too loud" comment.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-27-2006, 08:34 PM
bobzilla

How well was the plane built? Did he use stronger servos (knowing he was gonna fly fast)? Did he seal his hinge line?
Did he use good hardware for that size plane? Did he set up the right mechanical advantage on ailerons/elevator? Did he use
larger scale hinges or robarts? Did he make sure the retracts were not jamming and draining battery(s) (I did see one close slower than the other)? To me..the angle of crash, I suspect broken elevator..stripped servo, as he still was somewhat level.

just my 2cents.

bobz
Old 11-27-2006, 10:14 PM
driedjello

wow, harsh. I agree with the safety. Maybe being asked not to fly there anymore would be more deserving?
ORIGINAL: Schmaltzy

I counted 4 major flight safety violations by the 'pilot"
He deserved to lose his plane.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:19 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That thing was loud, but I wonder how much of it was prop noise not exhaust. it had that sonic prop tip sound to me ...Ones thing for sure, they won't be rebuilding that one anytime soon.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:54 AM
NorfolkSouthern

If it is tip noise from the prop, much of that can be solved by using 3 blades instead of 2. It may cost a little more money, but the plane will perform just as well and actually look more decent. Also, I have been around a lot of grounds keeping equipment, including gas-powered leaf blowers of all sizes and even electric. And yes, chain saws and trimmers too. Believe me, the noise of that plane was from the PISTON.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-28-2006, 07:52 AM
ryanofoz

Its a warbird, not an indoor electric foamy. It should sound like a real aircraft. The sound is half of the "ambiance".
Old 11-28-2006, 09:13 AM
airbatic

A very good crash. I rate it eleven on a scale of one to ten.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

They clapped!!?? That's like the "The Slow Clapper" in Not Another Teen Movie who always claps at an inappropriate moment. Lame...
I didn't hear flutter but it did sound like the motor changed RPM moments before impact. Either way, bad crash
Old 11-28-2006, 02:06 PM
bobzilla

you didnt hear flutter because the motor was so loud...it is not hard to deduce that the way he was screaming around at full throttle showing off..that flutter took him out.

on clapping...the crowd evidently did not appreciate his flying style or noise..and voiced their opinion in a very appropriate manner..good for them
"viva la clap"

bobz

Old 11-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Bingo! Some of these guys must really hate full scale airshows.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:06 PM
DaveCFI

Some people just love to sit back and "count violations". I am a full-scale pilot and was flying to a small private strip one evening. I had permission to land there and the guy that gave me permission (not the owner, for there is no single owner) suggested that pilots use full flaps for takeoffs and landings since the grass strip is so short. On this evening there was about a 10-15 knot crosswind. Also there were hangars on both sides of the grass strip. On my landing approach I decided to use only 10 degrees of flaps in the Cessna 172 so it would handle the crosswind better. Also, with the hangars there one can never really be sure what the wind is going to do around the buildings. A perfectly normal soft field landing transpired and I kept a little extra speed in my taxi to make the elevator more effective so I could keep airplane light on the nosewheel. I loaded up my passengers and set the flaps to 20 degrees (as published in the POH, by the way) and proceeded on with an extremely uneventful takeoff. Buisiness as usual in other words. The next day I got a call from the guy that gave me permission and he said that someone complained that I wasn't using full flaps and that he would appreciate it if I didn't land there anymore. Excuse me, but WHO IS PIC (Pilot In Command)??? Me in the left seat of the aircraft or some grease monkey on the ground with his head stuck in the cowl of his airplane? I made a judgement based on my experience and knowledge of the capabilities of the airplane. It proved to be a correct assessment of the situation as well. Of course I've never been back to that airstrip and don't even want to. If the people there have nothing better to do but sit around and nitpick everyone elses flying...well then y'all can go piss up a rope...who needs ya!

I feel bad about the guy losing such a beautiful airplane. Nobody was hurt (except for the guy's pride, I'm sure) and I'm sure that as he's picking up the pieces and stuffing them into a plastic bag he wouldn't want someone there reminding him of how many violations they counted.

DaveCFI
Old 11-28-2006, 03:35 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I agree with DaveCFI, before you pick apart someone else's misery, look in the mirror first.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:37 PM
schwatd

AMEN!
Old 11-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bobzilla

you didnt hear flutter because the motor was so loud...it is not hard to deduce that the way he was screaming around at full throttle showing off..that flutter took him out.

on clapping...the crowd evidently did not appreciate his flying style or noise..and voiced their opinion in a very appropriate manner..good for them
"viva la clap"

bobz

Didn't say it wasn't flutter... I'd assume it was either flutter, tail failure, or a linkage came loose under stress. It was catastrophic whatever happened.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:55 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

Man that was scary…
Not the crash but these ridiculous replies.
This was obviously an organized Large Scale RC event of some kind with an audience. At RC shows, large scale war-birds do low high speed fly-bys. That’s all they can do and if they get the prop barking all the better for the crowd. The golf clap and the end is what the crowd does for all the pilots after there little routine, they were being polite. This was in Belgium and I won’t pretend to know what their safety rules are and neither should anyone else. The guys pushing the second Jug out to the active runway leaves the impression that personal safety wasn’t the first rule of the event. Maybe they just leave that up to the individual and have some fun. What a crazy concept. Almost as crazy as comparing a weed whacker exhaust note to a prop tip approaching mach.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:06 PM
bobzilla

I think your all correct. I gonna do the same thing at our next AMA club meet with my old eggbeater.
Hope the members clap for me too!

That's all!
Old 11-28-2006, 04:11 PM
wc524

Noise too loud this....noise...noise noise. GET A LIFE! Engines make noise!!!!

I hate people who think noise regulations are the way to solve problems in life, but get over yourself. I wish I could sit behind my friends A/C Cobra all day long and listen to it idle with its 427 on strait headers. It's the best sound in the world if you ever get the chance! To all the people complaining about sound.....I could care less. As for me I will keep it at WOT and let everyone else read between the lines [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
As far as the crash.....Life happens. Something went wrong, and if I might say that was a very awesome crash. Not awesome, but if it had to crash that was a showstopper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.