Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Puttin' a Posse together!

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Puttin' a Posse together!

Old 01-05-2007, 07:07 PM
TCrafty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puttin' a Posse together!

Dad called me today to tell me that he was out at the field today flying his Senorita. Then, he said, "I goofed". Goofed, I guess, is his generation's term for loosing his plane in the woods on the far side of our field. We're going out tomorrow to see if we can find it and may have to go back on Sunday. I'm not sure yet. He was doing really good solo-ing but it just got away from him. It'll probably just be me and him in the sticks (unless anyone cares to join in). If you're bored tomorrow, we'll meet at the windsock at 8 o clock.

[&o]
Old 01-05-2007, 09:15 PM
VictoryRoll-91

Default RE: Puttin' a Posse together!

I wish I lived in florida! I love looking for downed planes, its such a rush.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:10 AM
JD380
My Feedback: (133)

I have found it will always be in the last place you look, so look there first.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Rcpwnage
Banned

Heres a hint.. take the tx. if the batt in the planes still good u can move the controls and maybe here the servos. i found my u can do that way.
good luck
zach
Old 01-07-2007, 09:03 PM
TCrafty

You are NOT going to believe this! Went out today to try and find it and right before we go out in the sticks (I mean STICKS folks) there's another guy that puts one straight down into the forest, a big old cap with a MOKI 210 ! straight down and all we heard was the thud, with an echo. Seems he lost the ailerons. Story on that later. Anyways, we just doubled up the size of the group going into the woods.

There's a gate and a road that goes through the woods, turns out that the other guys, in looking for their purple cap, came across my dad's yellow Senorita. It hit some trees and landed in the road (about 1/2 mile down the road but on the road none the less). It was pretty well shredded but we got the radio and engine back. Dad's happy.

Now, the cap. We started venturing off of the beaten path looking for it. We felt compelled to help them ESPECIALLY since they found my dad's plane. We'd have helped them anyway. We start searching through the thicket and finding wild boar rummaging sites, spiders large enough to garner my respect and various other large birds, leading us to believe that teradactyls might not be extinct. Anywho, after about an hour or so, we hear that, "Got it!" that we'd all been hoping for. Dont know what the power is on the MOKI but it would make a great post hole digger. that 20 inch prop (at least half of it) was down between 8-12 inches into the dirt. That is, after the plane got shredded blazing straight down through a group of trees. It hit about at the root of the tree and STILL had enough umph to go that deep. There wasn't much left. It took three of us to carry out all the little peices. Conversation went like this: "Where's the fuel tank... Over here! ... Pilot? Uh, lemme dig for him" Went right through the canopy!

The reason for the two field trips? Dad had been soloing for a while but that day, the wind got ahead of him and he fought the little trainer to bring it back. Each time he'd bring it around, the wind would blow it sideways and away from him. Eventually, he lost it in the trees.

the Cap-- turns out that he put hitec servos on the ailerons but he put Airtronics or JR control horns on the servos. I might be wrong on the combination but the idea was that the horns had a larger hole for the splined shaft on the servo than what the servo had. They worked well until he hit the high rates, then, when it tried to push the ailerons hard, it stripped out both horns. No ailerons anymore.

At least we got the planes back. Sorry no pictures. didn't have a camera.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Flying freak

ORIGINAL: TCrafty

Over here! ... Pilot? Uh, lemme dig for him" Went right through the canopy!

Im sorry but THAT is funny LOL!

but sirously sorry about the 2 planes.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Villa

TCrafty

So the CAP lost the ailerons. It took me many years to learn that if you practice flying with the rudder, then if you loose the ailerons, you have a good chance of landing OK. Has saved me two planes so far. Also, practice right hand turns, with and without ailerons. I was amazed at how difficult this was in the beginning. Been with R/C since 1973.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:42 PM
stinger40

Reminds me of a story of my own.

We were searching for a glider that a member lost in the woods. We were hacking away with machetes and loppers. One guy sat under a tree to take a rest, when another member spotted the plane right above the guy that was sitting underneath that same tree. Right as he said something, the plane fell on the guy sitting under the tree. The plane wasn't very high, so the plane didn't hurt the guy. The glider owner painted the thing green, so that he could spot it easily in the sky. That is why we couldn't spot it very well. It was funny, though.

Stinger
Old 01-09-2007, 11:07 PM
TCrafty

The plot thickens! Dad was going over the remains and he was preparing to go back out to the woods to get the wing becuase when the other guy found it in the road, he couldn't find the remains of the wing. Dad wanted the servos from the ailerons. Well, in checking out the stuff in the fuse, he found the two servos that WERE in the wing! Someone tore them out of the wing and put them in the fuse and, possibly put the fuse in the road. Now, if it was someone from the field, I would think that they would have brought it back to the building we have there. IF it were just someone trapseing through the woods who found it and put it on the road for someone from the field to find, would they have torn the servos out of the wing (probably damaged) and put them in the fuse? I'm wondering if someone might have been intending on going back later and increasing their engine, radio, servo stash at home? Bizarro!

Dad and the senorita are recovering nicely. He's got the fuse repaired, building the tailfeathers again and ordered all the wood for the wing. She will fly again.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:24 PM
skiman762

ORIGINAL: Villa

TCrafty

So the CAP lost the ailerons. It took me many years to learn that if you practice flying with the rudder, then if you loose the ailerons, you have a good chance of landing OK. Has saved me two planes so far. Also, practice right hand turns, with and without ailerons. I was amazed at how difficult this was in the beginning. Been with R/C since 1973.
I'm going to guess that the servo arm jump teeth on the spine and repositioned the aileron causing the dreaded death spin