Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

stick down

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 03:18 AM
elecfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stick down

Hi everyone ,

So about 2 weeks ago I decide Im gonna buy me a nitro plane again after a couple of months of only owning electrics.
So i decide on a 40 sized ultra stick arf. powered by the new OS 55 2 stroke. What a nice motor!
anyway it takes a week of evenings and a weekend and the stick is ready and the motor is almost run in.

I take it to the field last sunday for the maiden. And me and another member start her up , check everything and taxi out to the runwa , final tuning on the motor done and Im of . Take off is fast and awesome , trimming a few clicks down and 2 left aileron and shes flying straight. I try a couple of rolls , loops , stalls and come in for a slow low pass to show off my new stick and shining motor.
just past us and I apply full throttle , but somethings wrong . The power stays at about 30 % throttle , not a big problem , probably the linkage. So I tell the guy next to me im gonna roll on the grass into the long grass to make the motor die and the worst is a nose over . He suggest no! we fly out the fuel and bring in a dead stick. OK sure . Im confident enough to make a deadstick landing . No problem. 40 minutes later and weve both flew about 4 times. 10 minutes each then we swop .
Next thing I hear from him is . S%$t if lost it ! and my new motor is buried in the ground and my ultra stick is ultra broken.

Turns out the elevator was connected in the same way as the throttle and also " Stopped working" Lasted 40 minutes atleast and now my motor is proparly run in
Old 02-02-2007, 03:46 AM
aussiesteve

Default RE: stick down

don't you just hate that
So how were they connected wrong?

Here's some advice for your next nitro motor
Buy an engine stand - it's a much cheaper way to run them in
Old 02-02-2007, 03:54 AM
elecfly

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

don't you just hate that
So how were they connected wrong?

Here's some advice for your next nitro motor
Buy an engine stand - it's a much cheaper way to run them in
dont know what you call the connectors , its those metal ones that goes into the servo arm , and then the pushrod goes through it and tightens with a allen key screw from the top. something vibrated loose and the pushrod came loose. now only use z bends and L bends with the pushrod holders.

maybe cheaper . but not as much fun! hehehe
Old 02-02-2007, 03:59 AM
aussiesteve

Yep -I've been caught out with those. What can happen is that some brands don't fit through the servo arms too well and they come loose from the arms. I make my pushrods with a clevis at each end (a bit of 4-40 or 2-56 threaded rod and a piece of carbon fibre tube glued onto it works well for most sport planes) - you then get some good adjustment and have a firm grip on the control horns. "Z" bends work pretty well too though. I rarely use the rods that come with ARF's
Old 02-02-2007, 04:07 AM
elecfly

also chucked them with my new stick im busy building.
it wont happen again! hehe , but with expierence comes wisdom , its the intelligence thats the problem , haha.