Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

the way I get my plane from a tree

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

the way I get my plane from a tree

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:17 PM
jak stoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the way I get my plane from a tree

I learned to fly where there are allot of trees & poles, I managed to get my planes in several trees several times & much higher then I fealt safe climbing to, so this is how I got it out :-)

I cary a spool of kite string & several fairly large nuts (the type that threads onto a bolt)
what I do is swing the nut at the end of say 3 feet of string & then let go of it like an old fashond sling shot
the string unravels from the spool & when I get the string over the branch I then have a way to shake the plane out of the tree :-)

I hope this helps someone
take care
JAK
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI3nmFHcpfs]my flying spot[/link]
Old 03-04-2007, 11:34 PM
blueprint012

Default RE: the way I get my plane from a tree

out of curiousity.... why don't you just fly somewhere far from trees and poles? i would think it would take care of the problem.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 PM
jak stoll

there just arent many good places close to my house, Id like to hook up with a local club but I cant seem to find one....
I like to fly as often as I can & this place is pretty close to my house
I definatly would have gotten alot more use from my first plane if it werent for those poles & trees
Old 03-04-2007, 11:43 PM
blueprint012

yeah... those trees certainly can be pesky. it's always usually the biggest one that nabs the plane from the sky.

a proper airfield should not have any or many tree's in the vicinity of the runway.... atleast not any that i've seen.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jak stoll

I learned to fly where there are allot of trees & poles, I managed to get my planes in several trees several times & much higher then I fealt safe climbing to, so this is how I got it out :-)

I cary a spool of kite string & several fairly large nuts (the type that threads onto a bolt)
what I do is swing the nut at the end of say 3 feet of string & then let go of it like an old fashond sling shot
the string unravels from the spool & when I get the string over the branch I then have a way to shake the plane out of the tree :-)

I hope this helps someone
take care
JAK
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI3nmFHcpfs]my flying spot[/link]
ROFLMAO[sm=lol.gif]
Old 03-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Insanemoondoggie

My local tree trimmer gets them out for me LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94868.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	635412  
Old 03-04-2007, 11:53 PM
jak stoll

ha ha :-) you like that one?
I got a million of em .....
yeah the tall trees are the ones that get my plane :-(
I tought myself to fly & it was a really destructive process:-)
but I learned how to fix the hell out of a foam wing :-)
have a great night
JAK
Old 03-05-2007, 06:43 AM
tlgibson97

My club has trees on 3 sides of the field plus it is on top of a hill so the earth drops off sharply at both ends of the 200' runway. I have to tell you it is very intimidating for a newbie to fly here. Usually, the only time a plane gets into the trees is when something goes wrong with the plane (as what has happened to me) or the pilot misjudges where the trees are. The trees are plenty far enough away but coming in to land from one direction in particular always looks like you are buzzing the tree tops. Though if you fly a correct pattern you should be on this side of the trees. My particular problem is I tend to fly a higher approach landing on this end which causes me to come in fast. Without any ground past the end of the runway it sometimes takes me a few shots to get it on the ground without overshooting. Sure there would be much better places to fly but being in the suburbs of Atlanta there just isn't that much space and it is getting smaller by the day.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:04 PM
jak stoll

well I figure since this is the place to tell crash stories & being as how I tought myself to fly with no instructor I have plenty of crash stories to tell & I have a little time..... to type
the first day I went out with a brushless motor on my flying foam.com cheapshot wing I thought I was doing pretty good so I took the plane below the tops of the trees & poles at the park in the vid, I made a couple of low high speed passes & on the last one I got down by those darn trees again :-) obviously not judging the distance that well & not having yet had made friends with the left stick I banked hard & flew into a tree at WOT...... it made a pretty loud noise :-(
now mind you I had repaired my planes many times at this point & when I built this one I built it sturdy, four CF spars & an alum V spar in the nose about an 1.5 inches back
when I got over there there was bits of the battery pack (cells) on the ground & I had stuffed it rite into the crotch of a tree so hard it ripped the wing in just about half (this is just once of many times this wing was ripped in half)
so I got out my trusty kite string & big nuts (the kind that thread onto a bolt) & after about 1/2 hour of hurling my nuts up into the tree I got them over the branch near the plane & shook it down,
once I got it down the servo wires were all still conected so with a few well placed pieces of tape & another battery pack & threw that bad boy back up into the air & flew for another 1/2 hour or so :-)
I was definatly one of those going to the park knowing I was going to crash & then doing so but I learned flying EPP wings & luckily they are cheap & easy to fix :-)
that plane ended up with allot of glue in the root area from the nose to the TE, after it seemed heavy I cut out 8 inches from the root, re spared it & it was a new plane :-) the one in the video :-)
well theres one of my crash stories
hope you liked it
take care
JAJ
Old 03-05-2007, 02:55 PM
roc_kie

Buy plane, take your time to build, make it look real nice. Got to the field being careful not to ding up the wings. excited to fly it the first time. get it in the air, going OK, ooops, good recovery, under control again. going good, wow how did I do that, oh oh, go it again, don't got it again, CRASH into a tree! Good thing I never leave home with out lucky string and big nuts (the kind that thread on bolts) with. Throw nuts into tree, get plane back, cobble wings together, some glue here, some duck tape there, more cobbling, some more duck tape, ooops too heavy on this side, put tape on otherside to balance. alittle more glue, alittle more cobbling, throw in the air and have some more fun.
Its fun to have plane like this just to go out and screw around, if you crash your not depressed, its not any big deal, just do what it takes and get it in the air again. Not that the expencive built planes are not fun, but it just takes away the stress of if something happend and the plane crash, your down looking at all the time you put into it and more time now to fix it, you alway want it to look the best it can. Just have one plane that along as it still flys its good!
I would like to hear more of your crash stories!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:17 PM
jak stoll

hey there :-) roc
yeah my fist plane was a zagi 400 which I paid too much for used & after about 50 crashes the EPS part of the plane was so bad it was literally like flying a bag of crumbled foam .....
the last flight on that plane was tricky it would go one way & down slow & the other way & up fast, it was verry flopy & used up
from then on I just bought wing cores & taped them up & installed the spars & parts as I thought fit based on what I saw others do.
Id go to the park with the battery, ESC & RX taped to the top of the wing till I got the CG corect & then sank everything into the wing
I think the last time I built a plane I actually cut the battery in at the park & had a great time flying
that day when I first launched it (its maiden) it was tail heavy & a real handful, I managed to get it back toward me but stalled it & went into a death spin right above myself.
the plane came down rite next to me & cut my hand on the way down
I really like the plane I have now & although it has been crashed a few times my crashes are not only allot more gentle (made friends with the left stick) but much fewer so the plane should last allot longer :-)
take care
JAK
Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 PM
roc_kie

Crash or no crash this sport is a ton of fun!! Happy fly'in!!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:29 AM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

I was on final landing approach at our field and did not realize how far out I was. Ended up in the top of a tree at least 60' tall. My 4*60 certainly out of reach. One of the other flyers had a "Plane Retreival Kit" in his truck which consisted of a wrist rocket sling shot, half of a surf casting spinning rod (the half with the reel, obviously) and several heavy lead sinkers with a hole thru them (no large nuts, the type that threads onto a bolt--LOL). We merely tied a sinker onto the line and pointed the rod at the target limb and fire the weight over. The sinker would thread itself down to the ground where we attached a heavier line and shook the plane free. Took a few tries because it was fairly windy and the line would catch the wind but I got my OS 91FS, radio gear, and pretty tore up plane.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Maine_Flyer

I've had mine in the trees a few times.. a fishing rod and reel works for me.. i do a lot of fishing (guide) so my accuracy is pretty good.. I use a 1/2oz lead sinker on braided line.. cast around the branch holding the plane and shake away... works every time (so far)..
Old 03-06-2007, 02:46 PM
roc_kie

Getting planes back out of trees can almost be as much fun as flying them! I landed my gental lady in a tree one day 1/4 mile away. I heard it hit the tree, walked down to it, not a thing wrong with it. Not even a hole in the covering. I was so suprised. it was a big tree and low enough I climbed up and got it.