Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Mini Funtana Crash Rebuild and Conversion to Gas

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Mini Funtana Crash Rebuild and Conversion to Gas

Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 AM
SMUGator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini Funtana Crash Rebuild and Conversion to Gas

I haven't used them, but do a quick search. There were some good how-to threads on here recently.

Tom
Old 07-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Sneasle

I did a quick search, didn't come up with much. Most of the threads were about 33% and larger planes, and the pushrod design for those is a different from what is needed on the smaller planes.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:57 PM
rollo

I have some carbon fiber laying around from my heli I can test. I know that the carbon fiber bonds really well with plastic and itself with CA but not too sure how it would do bonding with metal. I can test it and let you know over the weekend. Give it the old break test!
Old 07-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Sneasle

Ya. I bought some of the smaller threaded couplers from dubro, that usually take like.. a .7" rod soldered in. I bought some CF that is just large enough to slide in there. It is a tight fit, but it slides without restriction. I was thinking I could go in and rough up the inside of the brass and the CF and hopefully get a good glue joint with some thin CA pooled in the bottom (If it pools, it doesn't harden).

I was thinking about this route because I still want some adjustment in the linkage. When you start getting this small though, the CF doesn't normally have a hole in it, which only leaves you with the tube on the outside option. I was going to connect the threaded coupler to a clevis to the servo horn, and then take a small piece of music wire and make a Z-Bend in it and then glue it to the CF rod on the other end with some thread reinforcement wrapped over the joint, and then some heat shrink over that.

I was doing the clevis on the servo end and the z-bend on the horn end because the horn has suck small holes and the holes are spaced so close together that I cannot widen them to take the clevis without destroying the horn, and replacing the horn isn't really an option without cutting the aileron open (I am not willing to do that).
Old 07-12-2007, 10:42 PM
mjfrederick

For an idea on how to set up the CF pushrods, take a look at the DEPS system from [link=http://www.centralhobbies.com]Central Hobbies[/link]. The system is probably too big, but perhaps you could scale it down for your purposes (and use just one instead of 2 pushrods). It's a very solid control setup and is used by a large portion of the pattern community.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:13 AM
SMUGator

The guys on the warbird forum are using JB Quik (a fast setting version of JB Weld) to secure metal pushrods to CF. I love JB Weld and am looking forward to trying JB Quik. Hey rollo, if you happen to be nosing around Home Depot...

Tom
Old 07-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Sneasle

This here is very similar to what I want to do.. the threaded coupler on one end, but with a Z-bend on the other..

http://www.centralhobbies.com/contro...e/minirod.html

Looks like I will go pick up some JB weld then, I don't think any of what I have is still good.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 AM
rollo

Will do on the JB Quick....

Sneasle: Recomendation on drilling the carbon fiber is start small and gradually move to the size of hole you want. I have had much practice drilling rods when replacing my tail boom on my heli. This technique has proven better results.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Sneasle

Drilling? Who said anything about drilling?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:03 PM
rollo

I guess I assumed that you would purchased a solid carbon fiber rod. In doing so you would have to drill into it to install the metal pushrod.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:42 PM
rollo

It is with regret that I have to report the Mighty Funtana has met it's demise. Another attempt to get it airworthy has ended in a crash and a fractured wing. The wing is by all means repairable; however, I have put enough into this plane with too many negative results. In the end it will end up hanging in memory in a boys room as decoration and the first plane he helped work on.

Thanks to all that have followed this thread. I was hoping for a better ending but that's the way the plane crashes.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Sneasle

OUch, that burns.

Hopefully I can get some images of mine posted soon to keep the thread going.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:31 AM
SMUGator

This little airplane has been a PITA. Fill it with candy, hang it up and let the kid hit it with a stick like a pinata.

Oh wait, sorry for the loss of the (no) Funtana.
Tom