Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

What the! Wing snapped???

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

What the! Wing snapped???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:32 AM
m8tey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the! Wing snapped???

Ok, so i was in a vertical climb, got to the top and fell out into a steep descent. The plane was screaming down when i decided to pull out at about 150ft, and the wings went that way ---> and the fuse went that way <---. The wings just broke right in the middle. The engine and fuse hit the ground at maximum speed, crap everywhere. So the plane i was flying was a Phoenix Classic Trainer 40. It was built really well, am i just not supposed to put this sort of plane under this sort of strain?
Old 03-25-2007, 10:15 AM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What the! Wing snapped???

That`s indeed a lot of stress to put on a high wing trainer. Actually, as you described it, that might be a lot of stress to put on ANY model. A good thing my instructor taught me was the importance of throttle management. On down lines it`s a good idea to back off the throttle some before pulling up. You`ve experienced an example of why that`s so.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:03 AM
manks7477

I hate to say it, but the way you were flying, you pretty much were asking for it. A trainer cannot take that kind of stress on the wings, must planes could not, unless they were designed for it.

Was the wing reinforced with fiberglass?
Old 03-25-2007, 04:57 PM
aussiesteve

I think the plane already answered your question about whether you should put that much stress on it
Old 03-26-2007, 02:02 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
It was bound to happen, either the wing was gunna break or the rubber bands were gunna let go.
A classic trainer is just that, a trainer, not a sport ship or a pattern ship, I know guys around here that put digital servos in the Classic & try to do aerobatics, that the plane was never designed to do, & then wonder why the thing fell apart in the air.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:53 PM
stinger40

ORIGINAL: m8tey
and the wings went that way ---> and the fuse went that way <---.
That's funny!!! Trainers are for beginners. They are designed to fly slow. Sounds to me like you want to become a pylon racer.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Dav0012

i find this wrong, how you say this plane cant take the abuse, we have about 40 of em out our club that we race around, i even put them through full throttle blenders and have never had 1 come apart, and with os 46 ax's they hover and torque roll like most 3d planes. and yes only on standard hitec-422 servos not like digitals stated earlier. we have a guy at our club that stands it on its tail and climbs straight into a hover, you can put this thing through a full elevator ripping pylon turn at full throttle and no worries, sorry to say, i would make my opinion as not sufficient building of wing?, because why did yours snap, when mine and the 30 others at our club, not break, and yes i do full throttle dives and use full elevator and aileron to go into a pylon turn back into formation, this is also after repairing a huge crack in the center of the wing with just CA from hitting a limbo pole, these planes are built like tanks, if you build them correctly....
Old 03-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Dc2LightTech

I have a H9 ultrastick 40 with a O.S. 46 AX. I do screaming loops by mixing flaps to the elavators for real small loops. One of these days i got to make a vidio of them! I keep thinking I am going to rip the winngs off!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:19 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody is saying you can't do it. Just that if you do, you should not be surprized at the results. Just as Allan said, this was bound to happen. These are trainers, not aerobatic stunt planes. If you have had 'good luck' doing that in the past, well, good for you. I've broken rubber bands on my trainer when I was trying to solo several years ago, all due to high-G maneuvers that were quite by accident. I even had the wing pop out of the saddle on a Midwest Aerobat because of a turn that had "a little" to much elevator.

Doing this stuff intentionally is just asking for problems. If you want to do high-G maneuvers, then get something that is built to deal with that or put some fiberglass on the wing joint and get some stronger rubber bands. Maybe bungy cords will work better.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:25 AM
manks7477

ORIGINAL: stinger40

ORIGINAL: m8tey
and the wings went that way ---> and the fuse went that way <---.
That's funny!!! Trainers are for beginners. They are designed to fly slow. Sounds to me like you want to become a pylon racer.
Actually he became a lawn dart
Old 03-27-2007, 11:32 AM
manks7477

You are doing something that the plane has not been designed to do. You may be able to do those things for a while, but the repeated stress on the airframe will cause it to eventually fail. If it were me I would not repair a wing with just CA, I would use fiberglass and expoy. When I build I always provide structural support to the wing joints with Fiberglass, as well I do not join the sheeting, but rather sheet with balso over the joint to provide additional strength.

These planes are pretty tough if you build them right and fly them right over the long term, they are not engineered for the kind of stresses you are putting on them and are bound to breakdown sooner of later.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Dav0012

this plane is almost 8 months old and flys like this at least 6 flights every sunday as well as when i can get out at night with dad and we pylon race them, as i said, ive never had a rubber band break, never had wing even "pop off saddle" considering i use about 30-40 rubber bands, but still, they can withstand anything i throw at it.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:53 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have been warned there is a difference between pylon races and hovering than pulling over 10 g's on a full throtle dive .most of the triner arf's I have seen use a plywood joiner epoxied into the wing slots with no fiberglass reinforcement over the joint.you can disagree and fly however you want but do not be surpised when you end up with a yard dart.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:45 PM
adam d

ORIGINAL: Dav0012

i i even put them through full throttle blenders and have never had 1 come apart
lolol that is soo funny i was thinking the exact samething i put mine through Heck and it flyes away never broke a wing striped a servo but no broken wing.

Adam
Old 03-27-2007, 08:45 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

You fellers should get mojo profiles if you want to fly like that............
Old 03-28-2007, 06:31 PM
adam d

But its soooooo fun trashin traners if no one wants them that is

Adam
Old 03-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Dav0012

and considering there only $69 AUD per crash, it doesnt matter if you muck up
Old 03-30-2007, 05:11 PM
m8tey

yeah the planes are cheap but all the stuff in them that breaks from a full speed dive gets pretty dear. Dont know anyone with an Enya 45cx for spares???
ORIGINAL: Dav0012

and considering there only $69 AUD per crash, it doesnt matter if you muck up
Old 04-11-2007, 01:48 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It is easy to scratch build a .40 sized trainer to come in at less than 5 pounds and take ANYTHING a sport .40 engine can dish out. G-forces [stress loads] are a multiple of weight and speed, so every extra ounce of dead weight will easily become half a pound of [avoidable] stress during a full speed pull out. The art of model design is to get 5 pounds worth of stuff to do 10 pounds worth of work and I think most of the run of the mill ARF junk falls well short of that mark.

A rule of thumb for scratch builders goes like this, if you don't fold one every now and then, you're building too heavy.