Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Tiger II vs Wind

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Tiger II vs Wind

Old 03-25-2007, 03:06 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger II vs Wind

Well I checked the weather this morning and it said 10-20 mph winds. When I got to the field the wind was 90 degrees to the runway and the windsock was stretched out. Hey I gotta learn to fly in wind someday. Takeoff on flight 1 very uneventful flew for 7 mins
wind was blowing the plane around alot but I got it down fine. same with flight 2. on flight 3 the plane flew good but the wind seemed
to have picked up a little more. I was having some trouble flying a straight line without alot of rudder input. I tried a half reverse cuban and on the backside of the 5/8 loop I usually drop the engine to idle. I realized I was too close to the ground and with the wind throwing the plane around I went full throttle to gain some airspeed, but the engine sputtered and wouldn't accelerate(found low speed to be too lean later) well when I turned the palne and headed for the ground I just didn't have enough time to get the nose up adjust for wind correction so I slammed it in on the main gear. Broke the fuse, mains ripped off and damaged wing sheeting but still repairable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15974.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	649604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65836.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	649605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97695.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	649606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44270.jpg
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	649607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do83002.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	649608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aq98529.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	649609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg78203.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	649610  
Old 03-25-2007, 04:29 PM
oldhippy1
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Tiger II vs Wind

Sounds like a clean break. nothing some epoxy cannot fix.
Good luck.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:47 PM
DaveB

Minor crash; fix it up and fly again.

DaveB
Old 03-25-2007, 05:01 PM
overbored77

Nah I am going to ca some braces into it recover and put it in the museum. it was crashed 2 times before it came to me and this would be the third repair I did. Gonna put all the equipment in a Phoenix Laser F3A plane.

Well you never know maybe i'll take my time and do a good strong repair. Might need to come out of retirement one day.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should rebuild. That is a notorious weak spot on the tiger II. You should brace it with ply and fly it again.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:11 PM
overbored77

Broken, I am going to rebuild slow. By the way I just finished patching and recovering the breaks in the wing sheeting.
Actually I am probably going to rebuild the front of the fuse completely without cutouts in it wing saddle area. I will put the cutouts in the doubler but not on the fuse wall, Kind of like the tiger 60.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:57 PM
overbored77

Well I got the fuse fixed with some 2oz fiberglass cloth and 30 min epoxy, and took it up again this weekend. during the test flight the roll rate was unbelievably slow so I decided to land and check out all my
controller settings and control throws. During the crosswind landing I was having alot of problems leveling the planr during rudder correction. I finally got it down, and during inspection found that my right aileron
extension harness was barely plugged in and was losing connection. Thank god I got it down I didn't want to rebuild again.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:54 AM
jetmech05

if you find yourself low and in any other attitude than shinny side up remember this little diddy "when in doubt roll out", never try to loop to an upright attitude.
she'll fly again have fun
Old 04-02-2007, 08:39 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

So, you didn't break it yesterday (Sunday)? Great stuff.

Yeah, I wrote an article in the newsletter last year entitled "When In Doubt, GO AROUND!!" for the very reason you had problems. Only one problem comes when you are attempting to land and you know you are about to run out of fuel. I've had that happen once or twice and it ain't fun. You have one of those planes, the Aerobat. I pushed the landing when I should have gone around and ended up going ass-over-teakettle. Nice knife edge roll through the weeds a Straw. [:@]
Old 04-04-2007, 11:27 AM
rcdivot

How many times you gonna crash that thing?

If I were you, I'd tell my instructor I want my money back!
Old 04-08-2007, 12:47 PM
overbored77

Divot, I am gonna keep crashing this plane until it is reduced to toothpicks. I would rather crash this plane which has in total cost me
less than 50 bucks, than any of my others that have cost full price.

By the way divot the post above yours was my instructor.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:59 PM
CGCOMM3RET

Don't knock us CG retires around too much. Some of us are nice guys.

Larry
Old 04-09-2007, 06:13 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Larry.. how goes it? We retired Coasties are truly nice guys!!!

Chris is my first student. He was amazing becuse we flew only about four flights before I handed him the controller and told him to do three orbits and land. He did just that. I then told him to go around again and land a few more times, which he did. Then he was pretty much on his own.

(This is just a general reply and is not directed to Larry).

Our field is a real nice place to fly, but it has one interesting problem. When the cross wind hits there, it can be something to behold. There is a tree line behind the pilot's stand, then about 150 feet or so down the runway is a cross-wind runway (this is a full-scale grass airport) where the wind can come in from behind the trees and play havoc with anyone that is not ready for it. Then, once at altitude, above the tree line, the wind can, and usually does some interesting things. Chris has had many more successful flights than he has had crashed. He has done wonders with the planes he has flown, all of them are hand-me-downs.

He is currently building a custom Goldberg Tiger 60 that is quite impressive and is coming out pretty light. I can't wait to see this fly, and fly it will. I have a Tiger 60 ARF that I left pretty much stock and flys pretty good, even after I've crunched it a few times (never enough to retire it, but enough to repair then fly). It was my second plane after my trainer and I still have it and fly it on a regular basis, but never thought of doing what Chris is doing to his Tiger 60. Hey, he even enclosed the engine with a side-ways mount. Pretty clever and pretty ingenious!!!

Nope.. Chris is doing just fine, and yep, that's a bit of pride from his instructor as my first student. His buddy Steve, who had flown before, but it has been quite a while since he solo'ed, was also solo'ed that day and flys just fine too.

I have on doubt that Chris will be up there with the best of them, flying Pattern events and winning!!

DS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27393.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	660334