Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

First Crash Ever-help!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

First Crash Ever-help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 01:11 AM
aeroaviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Crash Ever-help!!!

I know there are many more coming, but man this really sucks!
Flying in a field to small for any plane. First flight went off w/o a hitch, then the wind decided to change directions. Tried to come around into the wind for a short landing on half a soccer field and just clipped some treetops and you guessed it,,,,still 50+feet in the air. Anyone have any retrieval ideas???? This thing is really wedged in, I doubt a tornado would do much for me. Pics would do no justice.

Still looks like a perfect AVISTAR just, maybe some holes in the covering. I'd rather have my .46fx and guts back though!!!! :drowning: -Thanks guys!
Old 02-21-2003, 06:06 AM
76trapper
My Feedback: (1)

We got mine out of a tree with a shotgun once,but while shooting the limb off the tip o the wing was also hit.
did manage to catch and salvage the plane though!
Old 02-21-2003, 04:12 PM
aeroaviator

Called a tree service today. Guy said he would get it for $50. Probably going to take him up on the offer, although I would definitely prefer the shotgun method if it wasn't in a park.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:26 PM
ED209

You could just go in under the cover of darkness with a saw and cut the tree down like I... er, um... I mean someone I know did.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:24 PM
Canard flyer

One problem with cutting the tree down (I know I've done it) is when the tree falls, the plane comes down with it, hits the ground, bounces and hits the ground again to make sure that as much damage that can be done is done. My plane, stuck about 60 feet up with only a hole in one wing and broken landing gear came down, bounced back up another 20 feet and came down again. Reduced the plane to splinters, broke the carb on the engine off, busted 2 of the servos and just about any other useful part in it. I wouldn't recommend bringing down the tree unless you need the firewood, both from the tree and your plane
Old 02-21-2003, 09:42 PM
ED209

"My friend" was fortunate in that when the tree fell it landed on a big bush, which completely broke the fall. The plane was wedged against the trunk (due to the violent, fruitless shaking that resulted in the late-night cutting), and was virtually unscratched by the fall from 40+ feet. I... I mean HE lifted the plane out with only minor wing damage. The little Eaglet 50 lived to crash another day.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:23 PM
Stargazer
My Feedback: (3)

I read a post bout a guy that got one down with a fishin pole with a bib nut tied on the end .... might work if you could cast it round the tail!!
Old 02-22-2003, 12:05 AM
aeroaviator

The wooded area around the base of the tree is too thick for a fishing pole, good idea though. I don't do parks after dark, even though I wouldn't dream of trying to cut that monster of a tree down. I've actually been arrested for driving through a park that was under construction before. They said that I did $500 worth of damage to the dirt in a 4x2 GMC Jimmy. They hadn't even finished clearing for roads yet (curbs etc.) Of course the charges were dropped when I went to the D.A.'s office. He just laughed and said, "Well son, they had to put something down, didn't they?" Actually now that I think about it, I despise parks. I've also been kicked out of a park for flying a Nora from Hobby Lobby. For those of you that don't know thats a 280 electric trainer w/ 39" WS. The ***hole ranger approached me and asked if "that thing" had a string attached to it. I was excited at first thinking I had someone to invite into OUR world. No, of course he immediately kicked me out when he found out it was RC. He informed me that I could kill someone in the 200x1000 yard field we were in. We also just happenned to be the only two in it at the time. The whole time I was thinking about being 23 years old and all the bad things I could have been doing like you know drugs, gang banging, raising hell, and I was being kicked out for something like that...........well that's another thread I guess. Man I wish the club wasn't so far away.

-I'll let you all know what comes of tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:15 AM
Jaguar-RCU

I may be reading between the lines, but...you're flying an avistar at a soccer field size site? recipe for disaster. It is an eye opener how much open space a 40 size plane requires to fly.........climb that tree or cut it down( a little thinning never hurt any woodland!) If the plane is dashed to bits, well, you still get the piece parts like avionics,engine,tank, and landing gear(which cost more that the kit)..... oh ya, doing bad things....some actions hurt you (who the helck cares, its your life to throw around), some have real potential to hurt others. Put your avistar through the forehead or a little girl or some other innocent and that is a crime.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:10 AM
aeroaviator

Well the site is about 8-10 soccer fields in a row in a sideways manner and they are closed for winter. No cars or other hazards are allowed in, only people. I would never fly around a crowd at a public venue. The wind was originally blowing across the fields but changed to a steady, brisk wind blowing with the fields. It was cloudy and dark as well and my depth perception was nil. Thought I was in front of the tree that I was flying right into.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:19 AM
flyday

You could go by some hunting tree steps. They just screw into the tree and you can get them at any hunting store.

When your done with them you can sell them on ebay.

screw them in about three feet apart.

then look for a nice rc field around where you live.

My friend wiped one out up high in a tree. I looked at the fuselage that was on the ground. I estimated 2 hours to fix the fuselage. The wing was up in the tree about 60 feet high. I wanted to go get my tree steps from home but someone was impatient. We cut the tree down and the wing was toast.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:04 AM
agentbishop

Default Fire department

I managed to talk the local virginia beach fire dept. into bringing out the ladder truck and getting it out of the HUGE pine tree at the city park(where I wasn't supposed to be flying anyway). Had bunch of spectators. Great day!lol
Old 03-12-2003, 09:33 PM
E75
My Feedback: (1)

A bow and arrow with a string tied to the end of the arrow has worked.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:23 AM
canadianjosh

dude just get some climbing crampons for ice climbing or the boots with spikes on them for loggers. Or bust out the good ol duck tape and go to hardware store, buy some 9 inch spikes and tape those suckers to a nice pair of boots, proceed to take a length of rope and loop it around the tree and ascend the way they do on that iron logger champ show.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:47 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do yourself a favor and call the tree service. In the end, the 50 bucks will save you a lot of aggravation and tons of damage.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:29 AM
Just1kamikaze

Have you thought about dynamite???? Yep, one stick outta do yer! Ka-Boom. Plane is now on the ground. Along with the tree and anything else that might be living it. I would stand back a foot or two, you wouldn't want any of the limbs to hit you. Actually, I manage to get my plane out of the tree with a fishing pole and a sinker tied to the line. I draped the line over the plane and gave a few tugs and she came.