Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

toughlon and monokote

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

toughlon and monokote

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:47 PM
antique opa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toughlon and monokote

Has anyone tried monokote and toughlon together? I have a solid color machII. I want to cut some of the toughlon covering off and put on monokote. Just wondering if it will seal to each other.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:14 AM
sticktickler

Default RE: toughlon and monokote

ORIGINAL: antique opa

Has anyone tried monokote and toughlon together? I have a solid color machII. I want to cut some of the toughlon covering off and put on monokote. Just wondering if it will seal to each other.
It's all about the heat temp tolerance difference between the two products really. It sure can't seal if your hot Monkote iron melts right through the other product. The glue on the Monkote will stick or seal as you say to just about any clean oil free surface. Monkote tends to like higher application temps and if this Toughlon (which I have never used) has a low application or melting temp then you are going to have the huge mess described above. I usually try a test area in a spot that is unseen but as I said any coving over covering applications must be clean and oil free. Use some denatured alcohol it's a great solvent to remove every last bit of oil after a good cleaning with a spray cleaner like 409.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:32 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am familiar with Toughlon. I have had a few World model birds. The Toughlon will melt and adversly deform at the temperature you need to get monocoat to shrink to fit. The Monocoat will stick and seal befor the Toughlon melts but if you need to shrink the monocoat any nearby toughlon will be ruined. The toughlon will start falling off soon enough so you might as well strip the bird now and just cover it all with monocoat.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:04 AM
antique opa

Thanks, I figured the toughlon was low temp. I hate to strip a out of box plane but I guess I will
have to.

Mark
Old 05-04-2007, 09:15 AM
edberg

Why not some of that "Stick on" covering.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:29 PM
antique opa

I went and bought some stick on stuff. Going to try and put monokote on with 409 and see how it works.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Love1/4Scale
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monokote also has a trim solvent that works pretty good if you are careful with it. Too much and you end up with a gooey mess. Ive applied Monokote over Monokote using only Windex to bond them. After squeezing out the air bubbles, run a Q-tip dipped in trim solvent along the edges and youre good to go.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:16 AM
antique opa

Thanks,
I used windex. Iput monokote over the toughlon. I took out all the bubbles, then let dry. Went back the next day and sealed the edge with a trim iron. Worked great.