Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Scrath built Ugly Stick hits tree

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Scrath built Ugly Stick hits tree

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 05:11 PM
sticktickler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrath built Ugly Stick hits tree

Well I was out today with my new Stick and all was going great till the engine died on my third flight. I was low but right over head and my field has few options it’s the runway or trees I made a quick turn to line up and she was coming in hot eating up runway very fast. Never wanting to noose-em down I held her off to bleed off some speed. I bleed off some speed alright as she hit one of those trees near the of the runway about 3ft. from the ground which tends to stop planes very quickly. I use 3/8" dowel rods for my leading edge so when the left wing hit the tree trunk there was little damage the leading 3/8" dowel never even broke it did crack the sheeting and busted a few ribs as it apparently flexed back rearward from the impact. The ribs will need replaced of course I will also need to cut more sheeting back to get inside to make repairs as you can see in the photos I have already cut some back to have a look inside. The fuse cracked along the seems that make the fuses sides longer. An easy fix already done and covered with some added tribal flames in carbon fiber covering to hide the repair a bit, now on to the wing. I don't think it matters how many trees you have near a field even one is easly found by a RC plane dang trees!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74639.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	683726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94049.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	683727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14300.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	683728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53321.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	683729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj63631.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	683730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq97951.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	683731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln11412.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	683732  
Old 05-13-2007, 06:31 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Scrath built Ugly Stick hits tree

there are kite eating trees and there are plane eating trees .you have to be able to tell the difference .unless you find the rare kiteplane eating tree
Old 05-13-2007, 09:16 PM
sticktickler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scrath built Ugly Stick hits tree

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

there are kite eating trees and there are plane eating trees .you have to be able to tell the difference .unless you find the rare kiteplane eating tree
When flying at my field you learn to build tree proof planes!