Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

How many have done this? :)

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

How many have done this? :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:42 AM
karele

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many have done this? :)

I learned to fly on a canary trainer which I decided to hand over to my son.
On his first weekend all went well but the TX battery appeared to be a bit weak. I dropped it of at the LHS and they were going to cycle and check the battery for me. I had the trainer setup on my x2610 which I said my son could use. Well of they went for the first flight and the young man was absolutely thrilled and I was rather proud of his first flight. I then proceeded to work on my Stick as we had a vibration problem and the pipe kept “turning”. They asked if they could go up later again and I said that he could grab my radio and use it as I was taking a break. I reminded him to change the crystal but forgot one small little detail. And that was to change the model on the radio.
Well now I am sitting at home and rebuilding the fuselage and ÂĽ of the wing. The worst part is that no one of the experienced guys teaching and giving advice noticed on the pre-flight that the aileron was reversed.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:04 AM
alan0899

Default RE: How many have done this? :)

G'day Mate,
That is the reason for doing a PREFLIGHT, BEFORE each & every flight.
Don't just wiggle the sticks, check direction of everthing, everytime.
Too bad your instructor didn't drum that into you, like I do with all my poor students, but they soon learn, & it becomes a habit.
Yeah I didn't do it once, 25 years ago, & that's why I now do it every time.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Cyberfyn

You only do it once

I once tried to fly my helicopter on the settings for a 90" Extra as I didn't check model memory. It was spectacular.... But expensive!

Ian F.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:20 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I carry extra flight packs just in case but miss a day flying when my transmitter was too low to fly safely in my book. My cutoff point is higher than Futaga's. I now carry a field charger for such emergencies. You can get a good one starting at $50.00 and it is worth every penny and cheaper than a new plane.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:31 AM
jetmech05

I am confused you're changing the crystal on your transmitter? That's not a good idea.
Sorry you're rebuilding, instructors are human too. believe me when I say that reversed ailerons is the easiest control throw to miss on a preflight. I usually stop my students and have them tell me it's correct as I look at their sticks. Why cause I didn't watch a glider pilot learning to fly powered aircraft close enough as he was preflighting. I wound up flying towards the pits lengthways after a 180 deg turn the wrong direction. A very good older pilot (my instructor) and myself saved his plane.
however I kicked my own butt the rest of week, and it won't happen again.