Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 P-51 PTS Landing Gear

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Hanger 9 P-51 PTS Landing Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:05 AM
lippitdoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 P-51 PTS Landing Gear

Has anyone had a problem with the landing gear coming loose in the hole that the gear rod goes through in the wing? Probably from not so smooth landings. I corrected by filling the slot in the wing with epoxy and then placing the landing gear in it. I was wondering if anyone else has had that problem.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hanger 9 P-51 PTS Landing Gear

There are may reports of landing gear problems with this plane, as well as other Hanger 9 products, but most are related to the landing gear block comming loose.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:03 AM
rcuman

I have personally repaired three of these planes with the landing gear problem. The block is too small and every one that I repaired had very little glue on the block itself. I just cut a 2"x2" hole on the right side where the landing block should be and either reglue it or replace the block with a bigger one. It is really not a bad design, just not enough block and glue.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:00 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

ARFs regarless of brand, are built for speed and ease of assembly it never hurts to go over the whole plane and adjust, reinforce, add glue, and replace hardware as you see fit.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:19 PM
rcuman

Bad thing with this plane is that you have to cut into the wing sheeting to get to the gear block. So you can't really beef it up easily.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:16 PM
jetmech05

seen several P-51 PTS gear loose as described here. I'm thinking 4 or 5
Old 06-14-2007, 07:54 AM
BCarter

you really should find the thread on the MUSTANG PTS, if you do a serch by my name you will find many posts (it's a huge thread). THere are many many many points made about the plane from making sure the wheel collars are toight to putting locktite on the motor mount screws. The aileron servos also need to be reinforced. This is a good plane, but requires all these steps to make it a long lasting plane.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:21 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

I haven't had any problems with my PTS, all that needed to be done was apply a bead of AP glue around the Aileron Blocks. I checked all screws and bolts... I messed up fixing a factory defect on the Ultra-Kote and wound up messing up the covering. ( That was another issue) I ordered another fuse, and glued all the Push Rod Guides with AP, and transfered the engine and hardware. I used Thread Locker on all the small nuts and bolts, and so far no problems. Hanger 9 does have more glue on the joints than most ARF's out there.

I've had 8 flights so far... and absolutely no problems. I've had a few bouncy landings, and really applied some G's in some of my stunts... high speed dives and tight loops at full throttle, and I flew my bird to the max. All the PTS stuff is off of her, I took it off as soon as I got her home from my LHS.

A friend of mine flew my bird the day I maidened her, because my knees wouldn't stop shaking... and stalled her 1' above the tall grass on the edge of the runway. My bird is tough, not a scratch on her... I'm very pleased with my Hanger 9 PTS Mustang! And so far, I've had no problems with the landing gear. I changed my tail wheel with a rubber one... I didn't like the foam one that was provided in the ARF.

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
AMA District II
Pulaski, NY
Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 PM
tenuhsee1975

Yep, I had the same problem. I too first tried to fix it by just putting in some extra epoxy and letting it set up. After a half dozen landings, it was loose again. Being new to the hobby,(this is my first plane) I was REALLY hesitant about slicing up the wing to get in there to fix it. After some advice and some encouragement from my clubmates, I cut into the wing and fixed it right. The block had apparently never been securely attached inside the wing and was at a 45 degree angle to where it should have been. After epoxying it in it's rightful place, I patched the wing and recovered the area and it is good as new. I only put 2 landings on it this weekend, but it shows no signs of loosening up. Good luck with your repairs. It's pretty easy though.

John
Old 06-19-2007, 01:55 PM
lippitdoo

Thank you to all who have responded. Just as "tenuhsee" states the epoxy has let go. I now have 30 flights on my PTS and am loving this airplane. Everyone in the club thinks it is one tough bird. I have had some tough landings, into tall grass and once bounced into a tip stall from about 10 ft. I have had to make some repairs to the wing attachment area without any problems. But this landing gear thing apparently is not going to go away until I cut the wing and fix it correctly. Thanks again to everyone for their input.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:14 PM
MEINSHNAKE

it looks like this one is a PTS in flying and plane repair
Old 10-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Billmeister

My problem with the gear is the fact that I cannot seem to install it. It will not go all the way into the wing and fit in the groove and it seems Ineed a hammer. Might require brute force. The one landing gear wheel does not line up with the other, not the same angle and I would expect the price to get me matching mirror image landing gear that matches up right and does not make the plane tilt when on the ground. Supposed to be level not like this. This plane is NOT RTF if you have to fix stupid crap that should already be right when assembling from the box. I don't know if the problem is me or the product, but based on common sense, the gear should go in just the way the instructions indicate (duh).