Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Bye Bye Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:42 PM
manks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bye Bye Corsair

I was out at our field today, it was getting late, I had heard some story about a Corsair going in ealier that day. Our club president came around and I asked if it was his Corsair, and he said yes, and he was going out into the bush to find it. I offerred to help, so out three of us went, into the tall grass and brush. After a few minutes we found the Corsair or at least most of it. The plane was pretty much done, the wing was ripped apart, and we could only find the left and middle sections of it. The fuse was torn apart on the bottom and the pretty much destroyed from the cowl to about 4 inches back. It was in very rough shape. I think the fuse could be fixed with some work, but the wing was a write off.

Too bad, it was a very nice little plane. The pilot said the filght was perfect up until the last 10 seconds when for some reason it started a slow uncommanded spiral dive for no reason.

He said this was not the first time he had this problem, I am a bit concerned because I have the same plane hung up in my son's room and I cannot wait to get it flying.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Bad_Daddy

Default RE: Bye Bye Corsair

Oh yes, I can confirm every one of your worst fears. That airplane model is cursed!
Now, if you'll ship it to me, I'll give it a complete exorcism and return it to you when I'm finished. Be forewarned though, it took over 2 1/2 years for my last exorcism!

Email me for my shipping address.

[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 07-04-2007, 06:36 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a battery or RX failure.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Cyberfyn

I was about to say the same. But surely a club president would know better?

Ian F.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Dr1Driver

But surely a club president would know better?

Not necessarily. Club Presidents are not elected because they know a lot about RC. They are elected because they aren't present at the nomination and voting meetings.

I agree with CG, sounds like a discharged battery.

Dr.1
Old 07-04-2007, 09:14 AM
manks

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Not necessarily. Club Presidents are not elected because they know a lot about RC. They are elected because they aren't present at the nomination and voting meetings.

Dr.1
I don't know about your clubs, but our President is a very experienced RC pilot, but yes it is possible that he made a mistake. I am sure he will do an investigation as to the cause of the crash, it was too bad because it was a really nice little plane.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:10 PM
F-15 Flameout

I had a similar issue with a plane last year, would fly for a few minutes and then start to spiral downward, luckly it did this a dew times and I was able to land. I didn't think much of the battery pack, charged it and went flying again. Same results, this time I tookd out the pack and tore off the covering and 1 cell was shorted out so i would charge but then while flying it would short out discharge and start it's spiral. I've since padded all my battery packs a little better and no more shortages.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:03 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

My President was was elected because he owns the club and field. [&:] Sorry to read about the loss of his F4U. []

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
AMA District II
Pulaski, NY
Old 07-10-2007, 03:43 PM
rcuman

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Dr.1

Oh so true about not being there. Very Funny.
LOL
Ours however was present.
I agree about the RX or battery failure. Especially if it happened twice. I have personally seen a corsair do the exact same thing due to a RX crystal problem. A few of our club members have these planes and I will have one pretty soon. The only time I saw one go in was because of the above mentioned problem
Old 07-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Scott Douglas

My CMPro Corsair did exactly the same thing. My Rx pack got smashed but I did finally trace it to a bad wire on the switch. I think it may have been caused by the vibration from the 120 f/s up front as I had the switch mounted on the side of the fuselage.

Sucks doesnt it! [:@]

Regards
Scott
Old 07-16-2007, 07:09 PM
mjfrederick

Too bad to hear about the Corsair, I've always liked the looks of the airplane. I've seen many competition-grade scale warbirds go in in the same manner. The problem is many of those aircraft, especially the F4U, are poor-flying aircraft. As for the club president situation, I used to be a member of a club where the president could hardly fly, and the secretary/treasurer could hardly spell. Go figure. The president was a really good president, though. After his term ended the club went down-hill, eventually split into 2 factions (and 2 clubs), and the original club ended up losing their field. Keep in mind, flying ability has nothing to do with being a leader within a club. In fact, the president that couldn't fly didn't even attempt to fly for the last 2 years I knew him, he just liked to build nice giant scale models and watch someone else fly them!
Old 07-21-2007, 10:07 AM
mario tavarez14
My Feedback: (37)

last saturday my friend lost his 1/3 scale corsair , the plane took of and went inmediately stall nose into the lake , that was a big lost for him , the only memory that we have from this big airplane is the crash video , if any body need this video i will send it to your email , email me to send video att mario tavarez, this is the corsair next to my hostetler skymaster
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45727.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	727415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26918.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	727416  
Old 07-21-2007, 10:24 AM
rcuman

I would like to know whos prop-jet that is under your skymaster wing. That thing looks sweet. What is it and are there any plans\kit for it?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Texan2
My Feedback: (4)

wut modle was it?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:57 AM
formerlyknownasAWB

I watched my uncle put his Corsair into the ground today, second flight. Tried a split-s with not enough speed and obviously not enough altitiude.Sheared the motor mount in half, and burried the prop way down. What a shame b/c it was nice.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:51 AM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: ldelbert

I would like to know whos prop-jet that is under your skymaster wing. That thing looks sweet. What is it and are there any plans\kit for it?
Don't know what it is..

But it looks like:
1. USAF markings.
2. Single tail.
3. Shoulder high wing mounts. I can just see the leading edge of the wing just behind the canopy.

Only bird I can come with off the top of my head that matches that criteria is a F-111. But the tail looks wrong.

Unless it's some other bird, and the builder decided to put USAF markings on it.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:10 PM
DukeZillo

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

ORIGINAL: ldelbert

Don't know what it is..

But it looks like:
1. USAF markings.
2. Single tail.
3. Shoulder high wing mounts. I can just see the leading edge of the wing just behind the canopy.

Only bird I can come with off the top of my head that matches that criteria is a F-111. But the tail looks wrong.

Unless it's some other bird, and the builder decided to put USAF markings on it.

Maybe a GP Patriot ?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:48 PM
rurye
My Feedback: (16)

i crashed a really nice one here in Taiwan couple of weeks ago. It was a case of not enough airspeed when I set up for landing, turned into the wind with no thottle and it spun. Learned that lesson, Bought a bigger one and will have it in the air soon.