Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

The day I got STUPID

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

The day I got STUPID

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The day I got STUPID

To start out, I have STILL not soloed.

Now, I'd had my pretty Hangar 9 Arrow for less than three months when this happened. It had been airborne with the help of an instructor a few times, and I was given advice to take it to the field and "Ground work it" to get the feel for ground handling in preparation for the day I was ready to take off on my own.

I was running it up and down the runway, adding speed a bit at a time.
My first mistake, I adjusted the rudder trim to compensate for a right drift on the ground, not considering the fact it was already flight trimmed.
My second mistake, I was impatient, hoping someone would show up and put her in the air for me.
My third mistake: I goosed it to just enough power for liftoff, and pulled back on the stick.
Final mistake, as it became airborne at near stall speed I panicked, did not add power and tried vainly to correct for a left drift off the runway toward the trees. It didn't have enough speed to respond so instead lazily climbed, and hit the tree at about 25" up, then came crashing strait down on the nose taking the firewall out.

The worst part, I had to go to the hobby shop to get advice and supplies to fix it. Thats where my instructor worked..
Old 08-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Mr67Stang

Default RE: The day I got STUPID

Nothing quite like making a poo sandwich and having to eat it all by yourself. Patients is probably the bigest key to success in this hobby.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:45 PM
drunkenbushman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sux sorry to hear about that. At least it can be repaired and nobody was hurt tho.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Adui

Ahh, that was over three years ago. The bird has been down once more, took out nose gear, and flown many times.. And I STILL havent soloed it!!

Am I pathetic or what?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:16 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: Adui

Ahh, that was over three years ago. The bird has been down once more, took out nose gear, and flown many times.. And I STILL havent soloed it!!

Am I pathetic or what?

I'd say you need to find a different hobby...

Ronnie
Old 08-24-2007, 10:57 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

OK I'll ask.. How far along are you? Take off? landing?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Adui

ORIGINAL: sscherin

OK I'll ask.. How far along are you? Take off? landing?
Well here's the thing, I dropped the hobby for over two years, so its not as bad as it sounds. I had been practicing over a summer and a half, but other commitments and my wife made it harder and harder to get out to the field with the instructor. Then some of the few times I could he had to cancel for his life commitments.

I have bored many many holes in the sky, I have not ever taken it off (Unless you count my one stupid day noted here) I was learning landing approaches when I finally stopped. The last time I was out, I made what would have been a perfect landing. However, since I had been doing passes, coming in and about 5' off the ground powering up for another pass, When the instructor said power as my plane was within a foot or two of landing I assumed he wanted me to take it around again, it was as i pushed the throttle up that he clarified KILL power, too late unfortunately. The Aircraft motor died on takeoff next flight, and it nosed into a dirt claud field taking out the nose gear and ending my flying day.

That was two plus years ago, I never got her back in the air, and basically gave up due to lack of time back then (Working a lot of over time, working graveyard shift, and just not able to hook up with the guy on his flying days often enough to make it worth going anymore).

My schedule is much more sane now, perhaps even a bit insane for the amount of free time I have. Add to that my once again burning desire to actually fly my $350 investment, and you see why I'm trying to get back to it. ($450 with the replacement motor because my instructor didn't like the Evo that I had, it had a bad bearing and was rattling a lot, so it was an accident waiting to happen.)

Only this time I am researching, and asking questions on these forums, in addition I have a flight sim to practice with.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Adui

You big meanie![>:]
Old 08-25-2007, 03:57 AM
jetmech05

this is why I never tell a student to pratice taxiing without an instructor around...
Old 08-25-2007, 07:42 AM
JR16

damn man that sucks I hope you find your way into the sky.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

When I was being tutored the instructer had me make full throttle runs up and down the runway until I could keep it on the centerline all the way. I did this while I was alone at the field but the key was that I did it with the wing OFF.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Adui

ORIGINAL: Robotech

When I was being tutored the instructer had me make full throttle runs up and down the runway until I could keep it on the centerline all the way. I did this while I was alone at the field but the key was that I did it with the wing OFF.
Yea, I asked about that before hand and was told it was better wing on as the balance and handling are different.. Ahh well, that was long ago, and this is now!
Old 08-25-2007, 01:47 PM
llamont
My Feedback: (1)

Adui

Have you considered investing in a flight simulator? Although there is no real substitution for the real thing, simulators allow you to become familiar with the orientation of the aircraft. It sucks to watch such an expensive toy go down but trust me, if you stay in this hobby you will see far worse. I remember watching the canopy fly off of my buddy's 37% Yak 54. In turn, the canopy ripped the tail feathers forcing a less than perfect landing (more of a crash than a landing). He had about $10,000 invested into that ship. So dont feel too bad because even the most skilled hobbyist crash.

Good luck
Loren
Old 08-25-2007, 02:20 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I can relate, I work 2 jobs and have 2 in college and 1 in high school. My wife and I also take care of two grandmothers over 80. I think I flew twice last year but I also did a lot of building. I have also made the mistake with my trainer of taking off when all I meant to do was ground pratice. Fortunatly I had been doing landings and takeoffs with an instructor. I count that as my first solo. I was fortunate enough I did goose the power so I come around and land it (Read this as dumb luck not skill!). I passed up a runway landing in favor of the grass strip beside the runway (My field gives a pilot a choice by keeping the grass cut low.). My heart was in my throat, my nerve was shot, and the landing wasn't too pretty, but my LT-40 survived it's idiot pilot. I would like to point out it was a kit built airplane not an ARF. I believe the kits come out heavier built and can take a hard landing (at least mine do). I still don't get to fly much and I'll never make a national team or compete for that matter, but I'm happy with my flying and I take pride in what I can build. remember this is a hobby, a sport, something to relieve the stress everyday life NOT to add more stress. Lighten up this is fun! It's not a crash its an experiment in alternative landing techniques/locations. It also a good oppurtunity to update the design and change to that color scheme you like better! [sm=idea.gif]
Old 08-25-2007, 02:22 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

The above is not my first or last crash ....er.... experiment in alternative landings. I'm sure i will "enjoy" more in the future. [sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Adui

Yep, I have FMS interfaced to my JR transmitter.

I also went to the club field today, met the flight instructor and found out they do flight training just about every Sunday!

Flew my first line control since the old Cox .049 plastic job I had as a kid in the navy, (20+ years ago). I got the bug for airplanes, all kinds of em!!

Got a guy I met today helping me get battery packs for my plane, and the club guys are going to help me fix the aileron "flutter" I remember it having from before. Im really really happy i listened to you guys and went to meet the club guys!! Now all I have to do is get AMA again and Im in.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:41 PM
saucerguy
Banned

You've been flying for a year and "still" haven't soloed??? Man, it's a confidence thing, if you can solo on the sim, you can do it in real life, it's one of those thing you just have to do. I heard of being patient, but a year is too long of a weight, well, unless you only fly once a month or something. Get another more resiliant plane if you have to, but go out there and fly, you've been "instructed" enough in my book.

I taught myself to fly, I soloed from the beginning, no sim time, no instructor, in fact, didn't even read any boards, just went out and did it. It wasn't pretty, but I got airborn. After checking in on the boards and some sim time, I was doing it with complete confidence.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:26 PM
nitro fanatic

I DID THE SAME THING!!!

My first plane was a big stick, and my dad said go ahead and taxi it around some, and "told me to hold up elevator while doing it"<<<(bad idea) i made it to one end of the runway and on the way back i was at about 3/5 throttle heading into the wind; right to me, and LIFT OFF. I let go of elevator and cut the throttle, and it was heading right to me. So i ran out the way while yelling DAAAAAD!!!!!!(he was like 50 yards away by the truck) when i looked back it was heading right for the ground and i had enough sense to pull up elevator and guess what......I LANDED IT! I did me first solo before i even flew on the training cord. Talk about lucky huh
Old 08-27-2007, 12:03 AM
Adui

Yep, but in fairness it was intermittently, (Three weekends in a row then two months off) and it was Two + years ago.

Good news, I reported on another thread already (I'm not happy at all, really)

The short time I have had the sim, and the experience from way back.. A guy took me up today with his Buddy box and his Uproar (NOT a trainer) and let me play, I played at maneuvers then started making higher altitude landing passes.. Took three flights and he was asking me to bring it in low over the runway, I'm pretty sure he would have talked me through my first landing if the wind hadn't picked up. There's something unnerving about setting up for a roll to the right and having the plane flip left instead.. Fortunately a large addition of Aileron and it went where I wanted it to! [8D]
Old 08-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Adui

Actually, I believe by the time I have my AMA Squared away, and my plane once again flight ready, I will be ready to have it check flighted and then solo it.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:13 AM
saucerguy
Banned

Given what you have shown me, it's again, a matter of confidence, the eazy part is take off and landing, the hard part is being crazy in the air and still not crash it. I think you will do well, don't let everybody give you alot of hype, it's really not that hard.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Adui

I hate to admit it Saucer, but you may be right.

The thing I remember the guy helping me say EVERY time I made my final turn for approach (Where you drop the altitude most on our field, or at least I had to because I kept coming to that turn point way too high..) was "Dont get scared, let it come down, dont get scared.."
In reply to my tendancy to want to slow or halt the descent of the airplane, cant land without descent, and its no good to make the plane come down so gradually that you miss the far end of the runway, hehe.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:22 PM
saucerguy
Banned

I prefer to hand launch and belly land in soft high cut grass, this will help you prepare for the ROG element, you'll want to get a light, slow flying plane to minimize damage. I've explained this to people countless times when they had problems landing. You'll want to get it close to the ground, 2-3' high, and start airbreaking. This is done by rapidly tapping the up elevator, it flaps from nuetral to full up, you need to do it quickly and several times in a row, it will slow the plane down significantly, it must be done rapidly or you are going to make the plane bob up and down. Once it reaches the point where there is not enough forward velocity, you should be around 8" to 1' off of the ground, flair it, ie. full up elevator, and it should gently rest onto the ground with no forward momentum. If you flair too high off of the ground you are going to stall it and it will come nose down into the dirt. I'd practice the routine while you have some altitude, this way you are literally making the plane come to a full stop in the air and recovery is possible since you have enough altitude.

Another technique I use when teaching new pilots are voice commands, while they are on the ground, have someone tell you up, down, left right, more power, less power, and do it in random intervals, they'll observe you on the sticks and knowing what the plane would react like in the air, can point out if you over/under controlled it, or made an out right mistake. This system is mandatory for all first time pilots in my book and allows you the instructer to fly the plane entirely through verbal commands at that point, so no need for the buddy box.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:18 PM
SIX GUNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GEE GUY'S THAT SOUNDS LIKE WHAT I DID BACK IN 85 . IN 89 I GOT SOME ONE TO VIDEO TAPE MY SOLO FLIGHT THAT WAS COOL
NOW I'M A FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR AND I'VE BEEN ABLE TO TEACH PEOPLE TO FLY A LOT FASTER THEN THEY THAUGHT LIKE 3 SESSIONS
BUT IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE STUDENT. ITS AMAZING HOW MANY NEW PILOTS HAVE A HARD TIME FLYING IN A STRAIGHT
LINE FROM ON END OF THE FIELD TO THE OTHER . THE MORE YOU PLAY THE MORE YOU LEARN
KEEP YOUR PLANE IN THE WIND AND MAY ALL YOUR FLIGHTS BE GOOD .
Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 PM
greedy

When I saw the thread title I was thinking "WEDDING"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.