Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Crashes how many have you had?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Crashes how many have you had?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Crashes how many have you had?

I always get a radio hit(and it does not matter the make of the radio)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THEY ALL HAVE EXPIRATION DATES-In other words they will all end up the same way if they are flown enough-
Old 04-03-2008, 11:49 PM
M_Callahan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get this question a lot from friends. My answer is I never crash, the planes on the other hand have a distressing habit of going
in on a regular basis.

1986- Sig Kavalier. Cart wheeled into parking area and tore off horizontal stab. Repaired a week later and flew until retired.
1987- Sig Koger. Lost radio on take off. Straight in from 100 feet. Total loss including Engine.
1988- Another Koger. Dumb Thumbed it into the ground. 1st flight of the year. Plane was ready, I was not.
1988- Pica T-28. Had a bad cold, was determined to fly, probably should not have been driving, never mind flying. Totaled
1989- Top Flite Red Box Corsair. Dumb thumber into a departure stall, blue monocoat and world engine servos all over the runway.
1991- Sig 1/4 scale cub. On the way to the flying field, I don't even want to talk about it, too embarrassing.

I have not lost a plane since, not to say that its not going to happen again.

Mike
(Its Toledo Eve!)
Old 04-07-2008, 01:17 AM
syousef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I was back in the air yesteday. I finished the Phoenix Scanner at about 4am on Sunday morning and went flying around mid-day. I had some help from my father in law sorting out the servos (the layout of the servo tray didn't match the instructions), mounting the engine, and balancing the plane. My wife provided an extra pair of hands gluing the wings, but it still very much was my build.

I'm not use to such a smaller model and it's not set up right yet. I'm use to having plenty of rudder authority and the Scanner doesn't seem to. With controls set up as per recommended, low rates had too much aileron, and almost no rudder. I fixed the aileron but didn't get around to the rudder. The sky was overcast and I was having trouble seeing the model (white bottom against grey and white sky and almost backlit by the sun). I was almost glad when it started sprinkling and I had to pack up. It's going to take some getting use to, and I was definitely nervous and uncomfortable flying it. The advice I got was to fly it closer and slower. (My other instructor who helped me to solo was out when I maidened).

It's been a week of firsts for me. First big crash. First time mixing epoxy. First build. First maiden flight. First flight of a low wing aircraft. Broke in a new radio as well.

By the way the engine from my Worldstar, the receiver and 4 of the servos made it into the Scanner. The engine might be on its way out but it was before the crash.

This week I plan on catching up on some sleep, spending a bit more time with my wife, and putting hooks into the garrage roof so I have room to hang a few more planes *grin*
Old 04-07-2008, 09:06 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

None

Old 04-09-2008, 06:03 PM
kid chuckles

Old Cyclops is a new guy huh?
Old 04-20-2008, 01:04 AM
busted2props
My Feedback: (9)

You really don't want to know. Maybe 8 or 9 or more. Anyway the best was with an old Sweet Stik back in "76. Doing hammerheads with it, then no control. Straight down! No 'fuse left before the trailing edge of the wing, the wing was still in one piece, except no ribs! Imagine that! rebuild, I think not. Next was just recently, Staudacher was in a flat spin, one too many spins. No recovery. Shattered the airframe! Lots of other crashes, but these are the ones that really stick with me....Oh yeah, my sweet'n'low stick, just recently bit it bad. Elevator push rod finally gave out on it...So long old friend[&o] I really liked that plane...
Old 04-20-2008, 07:38 AM
kid chuckles

My finest save was yesterday. I was flying my OLD trainer type stick looking plane(i bought it and don't know what it really is) I flew it for around 15min. landed and when it stopped the motor fell off. The wood was rotted behind the motor mount. Man no way to see this really as this part is covered by another plate the motor actually mounted to. Was very funny though. Had it done it 5 sec. before it would have been real bad. But the old girl gave up on me just at the exact right moment. Now is that LUCKY or what lol? /took all of about 20min to cut and rebuild the part and as i did some real good looking on the plane found a couple other very minor things that needed attention. Will find out today if it all works right.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Junk Yard Dog

directly Porportional to the number of planes I have owned. More if you count the rebuilds.[8D]
Old 04-20-2008, 07:48 PM
mr.edzadventure

I think I've crashed every thing I own I have fixed them all
1 eagle 2 with 2 flights (my dumb thumbs)
1 Balsa USA stick 40 (the prop spun off) (Yea I know)
1 gentle lady (small tree . Ok a bush)
1 OLD hobby shack trainer (the covering ripped off)
I know this is airplanes thread but I annihilated my associated B2 I also have left a pile of oval pan car parts to fill my toolbox.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 04-20-2008, 11:03 PM
5focus

I've been lucky, no equipment failures. Several dead stick landings, {I like to empty my tank on the last flight} a couple needed minor repairs. Some glitces lately on landing, full down on the flair, more minor damage. The glitces would come and go, several quick full down and recover during in each of 2 flights. Changed the receiver and the metal S connection to the throttle. This should take care of the problem.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:01 AM
speedair

I crashed my protech skystar due to interferance and also my other trainer which was a precedent hi boy
Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 PM
kid chuckles

Hey Junkyard just how many proportianals have you had? And how many have you rebuilt lol[sm=confused.gif]. Come on let us know. I would like someone like Mike MCgoniville or someone such as that to chime in and let us know just how many crashed planes it takes to become as good as they are lol. I would bet that we have not scatched the surface well one guy posted here might have he has quite the resume of forced landings to his credit[&:]