Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Crashed - CMP P40

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Crashed - CMP P40

Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 PM
jmohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed - CMP P40

Well I just crashed my P40 which I converted from gas to electric. I had just put a new motor in the plane after determining the E-flight 46 was not enough for my taste. Took off great and was into my 5 or 6th pattern when I lost all control of the plane. No correction made any difference. The plane went down and started a small grass fire which we managed to put out. Everything on the plane was burned up. The battery may have survived, but I haven't tested it yet. The motor got pretty fried, but may also be salvageable. It appears that either the ESC was the cause of the fire and loss of control. I souldn't have had any issues with the ESC since the motor could only pull 55 amps max and I was using an 85 amp speed control.

Too bad as the plane flew very nice and fast. Oh well that's RC. Got plenty of other planes, but none as pretty as that one. Just glad I didn't start a BIG fire on the field.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:23 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Crashed - CMP P40

WHAT??? NO PICTURES???
Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 PM
jmohn

I was too upset to take photos [>:] Imagine a piece of charcoal...that's about what it looked like. We were too busy stomping on the fire to get any photos. By the time we got the fire out almost all the plane was destroyed. Only a small secton of the tail was still intact. Not a good way to start your flying day. Oh well at least the pilot survived

Jeff
Old 09-24-2007, 09:31 PM
rcuman

The only way I can think of a fire starting upon crashing a nitro plane is the battery being shorted out and burning a wire in two. I had this happen to me once and thank goodness the plane was on the ground. I turned on the plane and I saw a puff of smoke come out between the fuse and the wing. Luckily I got the plane apart and the battery out before it caught fire. I hate to see a good warbird go down like that.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Live Wire

I think he went from gas to Elec.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:28 AM
jmohn

I am 99% sure it was the ESC that caught fire and burn up the plane. This plane was an electric powered model. The battery is fine and checked out ok. The motor also is fine, but the wires are all burned up. The only other thing that could have caused this is the ESC catching fire. Nice plane, but I still have a Hellcat and Zero that fly great too. I did like to looks of the P40 even if it was a pain to land