Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Inspect your fuel clunk after nose in

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Inspect your fuel clunk after nose in

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:54 PM
bzyguy01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inspect your fuel clunk after nose in

Well it seems as tho I should have noticed such a simple error.....I had a 33%edge lightly nose in and tear off the landing gear.( Servo failure) ...Easy enough to fix that...Fixed the gear and put the bird back up a few months later. The Gas engine was acting really weird? It would tune great on the ground and once in the air it started to lean out every now and then ....then it would die and dead stick like it was getting hot? I had richened it way rich by now and it was still going up and quickly coming straight back down dead stik...Three dead stiks was enough for me after richening it so much I was loosing all the power so I took the cowell off to tune it right on the ground and i dialed it in perfectly....I left the cowel off to rule out any overheating issues. I ran it WOT for nearly 30 seconds. I was very satisfied that I had it tuned and ready for air once again. Up it goes and it was great....Keyword..."WAS" I was taking off with tons of power and it just quit without a burble....Hinged straight down about 35 feet off the deck and was going with the wind.....need I say more? I go out and pick up the toothpicks still very confused as to what in the world my problem was. After careful inspection of the wreckage I found the clunk stuck at the front of the tank to the top? I jerked the tank to get the clung to the back and it came back but the hose was holding shape and keeping the clunk about half tank.....AHHHH! The clunk was forward from the first incident and it was sucking air while the bird was at any upward angel......What a simple and stupid problem that I overlooked....Learn from my mistake guys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71851.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	785567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26367.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	785568  
Old 10-18-2007, 05:24 PM
seemefly_1

Default RE: Inspect your fuel clunk after nose in

sounds bad, so how much damage to the radio, servos, ext.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:32 PM
The Internet Killer

One of the things all experinced R/C combat pilots check after a midair or performing the "LAWNDART" maneuver.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:49 PM
bzyguy01

Stripped 3 metal gear servos and thats it for radio gear damage/ Engine is still good as well as I was lucky enough to get it almost flattened out before impact...The prop is still good too. I just ordered a new fuseloge and wing spar, landing gear and pants....Everything else will be fine.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:17 PM
padoni
My Feedback: (2)

Don't know if you know about this, but here goes. After any hard jolting landing always check the feed line in the tank.
a good fix to this problem, is to cut the feed line in the tank about 1/2 the length of it and insert a lenght of bress tube in the center. Thie keeps the feed line from doubeling back on it's self. After starting to do this I've had no problems, but I still check to make sure.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:21 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At least the cowl is good for the next plane. haha (humor)

Old 12-23-2007, 05:11 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen on a particularly hard landing,nosed it in just a bit,the engine started up just fine, but the engine would die after about 30 sec running,I pulled the tank and the clunk was tangled in the vent line tube,I was lucky I didn't get it off the ground before I found the problem.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:42 AM
ALO 111

Thanx for the tip,was about to fly my h9 spit again after a heavy landing will first check this out.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:09 PM
waydown2low

Another fix is to cut a piece of drinking straw and slip it over the line inside the tank and then put you clunk on. it will not let the tubing bend to much. Have not tried it on my gassers so not sure if the gas will eat up the straw, but works great on nitro planes.

If you can't see it, don't hand me the controls!!