Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Tai Ji Retracts/LG

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Tai Ji Retracts/LG

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Sooper Dave
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tai Ji Retracts/LG

I have a World Hobies Tai Ji 60 with retracts. I have torn them off several times and not necessarily on hard landings. Are the supports not adequate and what suggestions does anyone have re the problem. Thanks, Dave
Old 10-22-2007, 12:38 PM
mjfrederick

Default RE: Tai Ji Retracts/LG

You might get more/better responses in the pattern forum as this is a pattern-style plane. Is the wing on this airplane built-up or sheeted foam? If it is foam, the fix would be easy. When I used to fly retracts on my pattern planes I had the same problem, so I began reinforcing the plywood mounting point by drilling 1/4-inch holes (4 to 6 depending on the size) through the ply into the foam of the wing (about 1/2-inch into the foam). Then I would coat pieces of 1/4-dowel, cut to length, with a good epoxy, and put the dowels in the holes. After this mod, I never ripped out another retract that didn't have it coming already. Not sure if this will work with the Tai Ji because I'm not that familiar with it.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Sooper Dave
My Feedback: (23)

MJ..........Thanks for your reply. Wish mine were a foam wing........but it is a std rib and sheeted wing. Dave
Old 10-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Huntster

Dave,
I picked up a Zen 50 that a friend had a similar problem with. He had repaired it several times. I took it and had to rebuild one side where the retracts broke through the top... I had beefed up the wing area by adding lite ply doublers to the forward part of the rib area.. mostly to the fwd part of the Spar and I rebuilt to gear supports out of bass wood. I have flown this plane from grass strips after this until I lost the radio and it turned into a shovel and dug a hole in the dirt... But you talk about a VERY repairable issue! Those planes are VERY nice fliers!!! Keep it in the air!

Dave