Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

convert from electric to nitro

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

convert from electric to nitro

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:33 PM
nitrobeast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convert from electric to nitro

This doesnt really belong in this forum but im sure this is the best place for help on this rebuild

This is a electric plane that im looking to convert into nitro. I took some measurements and it looks like i need to cut about 1.5" off the front.

Any ideas for the best way?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18961.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	804681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78159.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	804682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88674.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	804683  
Old 11-15-2007, 10:25 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: convert from electric to nitro

I would make a new firewall from 1/4inch ply...cut it to fit exactly at the 1.5 mark...epoxy it into place before I cut the extra stuff off!
Make a template of that area from Card stock...or a paper plate...then trace that to your ply!!

What motor are you thinking about for this bird??

Good luck
Old 11-16-2007, 03:25 AM
bigchap

i wouldn't mount an engine on that motor mount,it's not strong enough.that's a long mount and it may be tricky to make up something strong enough,long enough and light enough.what size engine are you planning on putting in there?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:07 AM
nitrobeast

Its the os 32sx. [link]http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg0532.html[/link]
Old 11-16-2007, 06:27 AM
bigchap

i would cut off the whole mount and attach a firewall of 3/16 ply,i would them make up a box to attach to that to mount the engine mount to,i think it will take a lot of careful measuring and thinking about but totally do-able,make sure the rest of the airframe is up to the extra stresses a glow motor will put it through.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:05 AM
nitrobeast

ORIGINAL: bigchap

i would cut off the whole mount and attach a firewall of 3/16 ply,i would them make up a box to attach to that to mount the engine mount to,i think it will take a lot of careful measuring and thinking about but totally do-able,make sure the rest of the airframe is up to the extra stresses a glow motor will put it through.
The carfull measuring is what im worried about. If i do it the way rc maniac mentioned then I can alway lay thin ply over the stock box. This way the angles dont change. Your idea sounds good but I think its a little hard for me.

Also the reason i cant cut if off and put a firewall there is because the tank and gonna have to go there...

Old 11-16-2007, 07:59 AM
RC MANIAC119

i wouldn't mount an engine on that motor mount,it's not strong enough.that's a long mount and it may be tricky to make up something strong enough,long enough and light enough.what size engine are you planning on putting in there?

That entire mount is made of quality lite ply, , so adding a plate as I suggested will work just fine with the engine you had in mind. Also.....the exact location of the cowl is the really important issue.

You may want to add a couple pieces of balsa tri-stock behind the plate...to help tie the structure together.

I can't wait to see your re-design after it's finished!!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:04 AM
RC MANIAC119

I think you may want to go with a little bigger motor. The structure can certainly handle it, and the extra power is always a bonus.

If this was my project, I would try O.S. 46
Old 11-16-2007, 08:46 AM
nitrobeast

ORIGINAL: RC MANIAC119

That entire mount is made of quality lite ply, , so adding a plate as I suggested will work just fine with the engine you had in mind. Also.....the exact location of the cowl is the really important issue.

You may want to add a couple pieces of balsa tri-stock behind the plate...to help tie the structure together.

I can't wait to see your re-design after it's finished!!
What do you mean by exact location of the cowl? Im not gonna move the cowl. I think this 32 should do the trick, check out the numbers. The birds weight is 35oz. If it doesnt, back to the shop it goes. I do have a .46 ax too...
Old 11-16-2007, 09:10 AM
RC MANIAC119

That's exactly my point.....you CAN't move the cowl...(front or back). I have done a couple re-fits over the years, and usually there is enough fuse...to attach the cowl to, in case your measurements are a little off, but you don't have that option here.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:31 AM
bigchap

i think it's going to end up really nose heavy
Old 11-16-2007, 12:18 PM
nitrobeast

i think it's going to end up really nose heavy
With the electric setup its 16.57 oz
With the nitro setup its 16.2 without fuel. I can also lose some weight on the exhaust by getting a pitts style.
By moving the motor weight back another inch or so do you think it will still be nose heavy?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:57 PM
bigchap

does the battery normally fit into that mount?
i presume it does for the set up to come out at that weight.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:02 PM
nitrobeast

Yes it does.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Mr67Stang

I would recomend going with something a little thinner than 1/4 in ply for the firewal. I would also remove the entire existing motor box and redesign. If your nitro engine hydro locks and you put your starter to it you may twist that structure right off. You will be fighting ballence on this conversion. But you should be able to compensate by maybe moving tail surface control servos to the rear of the fuse (assuming they are curently located traditionally) also you can desing a hatch aft of the main wing for battery instalation. I think your choice of the .32sx is probably about right based on the aircraft weight you provided but it's not possible for any of us to know with the information you provided. I don't know your wingspan. Also a concideration is how much room for prop do you have with the thrustline parallel with the ground (tail up as though you were about to take off). By looking at the picture I am guessing that this plane used anywhere from 11-13 in propeller so that would put you in the .32-.50 engines size range for physicaly fitting a prop on the plane. I think you will find it difficult to duplicate this planes performance as an electric after converting it to glow. Your power to weight ratio will suffer and I think you will end up with a nice sport/pattern plane but no real 3D capabilities. Thus if your expectations are reasonable you will be much happier with your end result.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:33 PM
RC MANIAC119

ALL HAIL..(and bow down)....THE WORLDS GREATEST RC DESIGNER HAS SPOKEN!!!

Come on Stang.....he's only putting a 32 on the thing. Less weight than the electric set-up!

Nitro hydro lock? I have been spinning engines for 40 years, and I have never had a smaller cc engine hydro lock...NEVER!!

The biggest prop he's going to swing with that 32 is a 9x6.........plenty of room.

Move the tail surface controls? Are you nuts??

He had a great idea, and I applaud him for it.........stop raining on the man's parade with your usual amount of mis-information.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:12 PM
2HI2C

[sm=lol.gif]
Old 11-16-2007, 07:23 PM
nitrobeast

The stock electric setup calls for a 14"prop. There is plenty of room for a prop. I know the front end looks weak but its really not.
I should be fine. By the was for the ones who dont know this a quique 49"yak. [link]http://www.somenzini.com/html/aircraft/yak49.html[/link]

I was actually thinking of a prop more in lines of a 10 or 11"x4

rcmaniac thanks for the support and seems like you and stang now each other?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: RC MANIAC119

ALL HAIL..(and bow down)....THE WORLDS GREATEST RC DESIGNER HAS SPOKEN!!!

Come on Stang.....he's only putting a 32 on the thing. Less weight than the electric set-up!

Nitro hydro lock? I have been spinning engines for 40 years, and I have never had a smaller cc engine hydro lock...NEVER!!

The biggest prop he's going to swing with that 32 is a 9x6.........plenty of room.

Move the tail surface controls? Are you nuts??

He had a great idea, and I applaud him for it.........stop raining on the man's parade with your usual amount of mis-information.

Sir, with all due respect, If you have been doing this for 40 years then you are not a child. However you frequently berate people here in the forums with this kind of writing. You do it to derail anyone that does not agree with you 100%. As for you signature line. I am a deployed troop. Even as I type this to you from Iraq. All I can say is keep your liberal sentamism to your self. We are here so they stay over here. And I want to finish this so that my children don't have to come over here and finish it for me or your children or grandchildren. To you sir I salute you... with one finger... guess which one!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Mr67Stang

No... not the middle finger... I would not stoop to your level.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: nitrobeast

The stock electric setup calls for a 14"prop. There is plenty of room for a prop. I know the front end looks weak but its really not.
I should be fine. By the was for the ones who dont know this a quique 49"yak. [link]http://www.somenzini.com/html/aircraft/yak49.html[/link]

I was actually thinking of a prop more in lines of a 10 or 11"x4

rcmaniac thanks for the support and seems like you and stang now each other?
No, nitrobeast. We do not know eachother. And untill this thread had no direct comunications. His attack comes from far left feild for no reason. While he wants to say he is defending you from my "raining on your parade". It is simply a childish reaction to my sudjesting anything different from him. I doubt he has been doing this for 40 years because no one of that age bracket would act as he does. I'm guessing teenager. I recognize the type since I am the father of two teenagers. You can go look at his other posts and you will soon see he is known for these charactor attacks.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:38 AM
RC MANIAC119

Stang

I feel sorry for you brother.........and now I understand the unwarranted attack on my character! Because just like you, I was trapped in a senseless/meaningless war....started by a few political bigwigs that wanted to leave a legacy. And also like you....we were fed the same insane rhetoric....like "We must fight them there...or we fight them here"!
Your useless war is Irag.......Mine was Vietnam!! NOW.....having said that,

Just because you are deployed, doesn't give you the right to give out ridiculous advice on topics you obviously have no skills at!! I went back and read some of your posts also.......and thread after thread your advice is misguided to say the least! Most of your advise indicates that you certainly have a love of RC...but lack hands on knowledge.
You just told Nitro.........that you feel he should re-do his tail section!!! This kind of false information only makes the new comers to RC confused.which leads to frustration.....which leads to leaving the hobby all together!!

So from now on....post all you want if it helps kill the time over there...but please.........for the sake of the newbies..Stop dishing out latrine leftovers!!!

Oh by the way..........you can't buy an AMA number as low as mine.....95841...joined in 1973 after my first tour in Nam!

Semper Fi
Old 11-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Mr67Stang

Sir, I did not advise him to rebuild his tail section. I simply sudjested that relocating his servos and battery to the tail section may help ballence this aircraft without adding weight. I challenge you sir to take a .32sx, a fuel tank sufficient to feed it, a 4 cell receiver battery and a throttle servo on a scale. Then take a brushless motor, a speed controller and a 3 cell LiPo pack on the scale and compare the difference. I am going to presume, as you have, that you probably have not converted an electric to glow before. I have. I have also relocated servos to the tail section for ballencing of a few planes including a 1/4 scale Cap 232. I presume, again, you would likely just add ounces of lead to the airframe untill it ballenced to avoid reengineering.

I have the utmost respect for people who serve or have served. I'ts a shame you have lost the "Fi" in "Semper Fi" again presuming you know what it means.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:32 AM
bigchap

even though the weight of the engine is almost the same as the whole electric set up add a full tank of fuel to the equation and that plane isn't going to fly all that nice when freshly fuelled.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:13 PM
randomhero86
Banned

THIS PLANE WILL FLY FINE! i would sugest cuting as much off the box you need and then puting thin ply wood on the inside of it. that will give you a place to mount the gas tank and help with the cowl. the plane will fly fine but even better after you burn off about 10% of your fuel load. i did this to a mini funtana with a evolution 36. i then put a os 46 fx and that was to heavy. i think your motor will be great. but dont put a 46 in it!
and no disrepect to either of you. but come on guys. if you have a problem with each other dont take it out on nitro. this is his thread so lets keep the bashing to a min please.
sorry if i offended anyone. just think we should be more kind to our fellow rc pilots.
have fun nitro!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.